The best WALK IN camping near
Sunshine , NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Sunshine Camping Reviews
Nice campground, but they don't include electricity in rate

This is one of only a few RV parks in the immediate area of the city of Taos. This campground had positive reviews, and the photos looked nice, so we chose it. As other people indicated, the park is clean, and reasonably spacious for a private campground. There were buddy sites so your traveling partners could have coaches facing one another, which is also nice.

There was ample room to park both our fifth wheel and our truck. The sites we had were concrete and level(we were traveling with others, and their site at a different area of the park was dirt/rock and much less level). There was good Verizon and AT&T cell service in the park as well.

I don’t use park WiFi, the laundry rooms, or the bathrooms so I cannot comment on that(although people we were traveling with said they were nice). My issue with this park is the way they charge.

Their website indicates a certain charge for 30 amp sites, 50 amp sites, pull-thrus and back-ins. Also, some had sewer, and some did not. Not until we got there did we discover that although we had paid for a premium spot with 50 amp power and sewer, that the cost of the electricity itself was NOT included in the price. This was not prominently indicated on their website. Their policy/procedure was to take a meter reading each day, and that cost was added to the camper’s bill at the end of their stay. I understand that many campgrounds do this for monthly campers, and even weekly. I have NEVER seen this at a campground on a daily rate. I have been all over the country, staying at private campgrounds from coast to coast, and this was the only one that I have ever seen that charged for electricity on a daily rental. I brought this to their attention, and their attitude was, “that’s the way we do it” and was terse about it. The actual dollar amount was not great, about$2/night…but that was based upon our usage.

We had people traveling with us that used their air conditioner(we did not) and it was about$5/night. They have every right to do this, but it goes against the industry standard that I have seen everywhere else. So, I am only giving this campground 2 stars because of that. If it weren’t for that, I would give it 4 stars. Take this information and use it how you choose.

We stayed in a 35’ fifth wheel.

Wide Open Spaces

Eagles Nest Lake State park campsites are pretty wide open like the valley it is in. There is a nice cement pad with an awning and fire pit. Not much else and I wouldn't recommend it for tent campers. There were a few people braving the cool nights and crisp mornings. Water available when you drive in and that is about it. So plan on boondocking. Our site was level and drive through. The drive through sites are not huge so if you have a big rig you might want one of the back in sites. The sky was beautiful at night with the milky way visable. If it wasn't so cold I would of been taking photos. Access to the lake is a relatively short walk and may change if the lake wasn't so low.

Don't let the drive in fool you.

Mountains, lake, prairie dogs, deer…a little piece of heaven. Here in the off season, had the campground to ourselves. No power, no sewer, pit toilets. Loved this place!

One of my favorite spots in NM

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS :) beautiful scenery and very clean! i liked the set up of the camp ground, very spacious but still felt like a nice community. 10/10 must see.

Nice, Clean and Close to Town

Stayed early January so place was less than half full. Average space between sites, you’re not packed in with no space for slide outs which is good and each spot has picnic table

Bathrooms are dated but cleaned daily. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Overall the place could use a few upgrades but it’s a quality location and I would stay here again

Beautiful views of the river!

Pulled in around 4pm on a Saturday and only 1 other camper was here. A few vehicles were parked at the bathroom/trailhead, super friendly. There’s about 3-4 spots with picnic tables then at least 10 other spots with rock ring fire pits but no tables. There is 1 clean vault toilet, but no TP so bring your own. 1-2 bars LTE AT&T service available near bathroom but gets worse the further you go away from it. The views of the river are beautiful as well as the sunrise. It’s a bumpy 3 mile road off the highway, had no issues in my transit van as long as you take it slow.

Easy spot along the river

I car-camped here just before Labor Day weekend and while it wasn’t the most private camping area, I was able to snag a spot along the river and had a nice time.

Sandy desert like

We stayed in the first pull out to the left of the road. Watch the entry off CO 150 as it is very narrow. No hookups but no fee. All was well until the wind came up suddenly and we were in a brief windstorm with sand all in our trailer.

Lots of space!

Very secluded! Even when full I imagine the spots are far enough apart. If the spots are full keep going down the road! Plenty of dispersed camping! We’ll be back! Beautiful scenery!

Peaceful & quiet!

We drove in about 5:00 pm and they had 2 vacancies! Camp host was great! Friendly neighbors! Highly recommend if you’re looking for a relaxing time!