Whitehaven , MARYLAND

Most Recent Whitehaven Camping Reviews
Peaceful spot

We only stayed on Assateague for 1 night on our way down the east coast. We camped on the bayside which had a really pretty view of the marsh and large camp sites. No electric hookup or water which is expected for winter camping, we managed without for the night. We took a ride over to the ocean camp sites and found some horses! Worth a stop just for the simplicity of it all!

Location, wildlife, and scenery can't be beat!

Site Details: We stayed on site #I328, in the I loop at the very end of the campground. The site was level but on the small side; I wouldn’t recommend attempting to fit in with anything larger than a pop-up or hybrid. That said, it had electrical service(a hot commodity in this park!), and was well situated, with a nice open space between the edge of the site and the dunes. This open space was pretty low-lying, so I imagine flooding/standing water could bring some major bug issues in the summer. As with all other loops in the park, this loop is separated from the beach by a row of sand dunes, so beach access is very quick and easy. There is no shade to speak of; all sites are surrounded by scrub brush and other plants typical of a beach/marsh environment. Watch out for sandburs!

Facilities/Overall Park: Assateague SP is widely known, loved, and hard to book for a reason. The scenery and setting simply cannot be beat. The beautiful beaches, unspoiled natural setting, and wild ponies all make for an incredible and truly unique camping experience. Additionally, the rangers are very helpful, and the bath houses are pristine. We visited in the fall, and the weather happened to be perfect, with no bugs. Based on other campers’ experiences, as well as having grown up on the Eastern Shore, I would honestly avoid the summertime due to the extreme heat and bugs. Summertime is undoubtedly a more popular time, and a more convenient time for many to travel and take advantage of the beach, but I’d lean toward going in the fall if you can.

Surrounding Area/Attractions: There is so much to do and see nearby, if you can tear yourself away from the park. The state park sits adjacent to Assateague National Seashore, with its own visitor center, campground, and beaches. The NP side has more primitive facilities, and tends to be less crowded and a bit more “wild.” Outside the island, there is of course Ocean City nearby, with plenty to do, see, and eat. It’s a typical tourist beach town, which I have no desire to visit again, but might be worth checking out if you’re into boardwalks, shopping, mini golf, etc. If you do go, make sure to grab some Thrasher’s fries and Fisher’s popcorn. Also nearby is the cute small town of Berlin.

Overall, this is a fantastic park for beach and nature lovers, and lives up to its hype. Make sure you book far in advance (especially for the electric sites!); be prepared for bugs, heat, and wind; and you’ll be sure to have a memorable experience.

Hidden Gem!

First time here, won't be our last!! Not a lot of hiking trails in the park, but there are plenty nearby. Spaces were nice…not too close to each other and oriented so you are staring into your neighbors site all the time when sitting at the very big nice picnic table and firepit. The bathrooms are nice than most. They have a strenuous cleaning schedule due to Covid so the bathrooms are CLEAN!! Nice Food Lion grocery store about 1 mile away. Restaurants in nearby Crisfield, MD. Will come back in warmer weather to take advantage of the many kayak/canoe trails. Some sites are waterfront. Nice deck and boat/kayak launch. Hosts very friendly. Park clean, very quiet.

This place is great.

So I loved the campground. I got a electric site with a place for a large tent. The grounds are very well kept, respectful attendants and clean grounds. I loved the trip the scenery and the whole site. One thing I did have trouble with is the grade of the sites are somewhat downhill so if you do end up camping during a time it rains be sure to put your tent on a tarp. I was floating my tent the night it rained. Otherwise an all around amazing place to go.

Great campground

This was our first trip in our first TT (33ft), we’re complete rookies! We had site 68 which had plenty of space for the TT, truck and car to park. The sites have plenty of separation and the park was very quiet. We talked to several fellow campers and all were very welcoming and helpful. We will definitely be making another trip there next year for a quick weekend getaway.

Excellent Weekend

Love this DE state park! 5 different loops. One for all tenting, loop E. One with all pull-through sites, loop D. Three with back in spots, loops A-C. If you want quiet, stay in loop D. This was a full weekend and a bit crowded. We had an end site facing the pond (C 20). Very level sites BUT a lot of trees in the way when parking your RV. Most spots have tight areas to maneuver into with trees and hookup posts on either side. We saw several we couldn’t believe they parked without hitting a tree. Lots of trails to hike and boat rentals; canoes, kayaks, paddle boats, pontoon boat, and I think a row boat. It’s located in lower DE near the MD line. There’s a walkway between all loops to connect them and easily walkable. Has electric and water hookups.

Great in the fall

A few chilly nights to avoid the bugs. Vegetation made our site feel a bit more private.

Beautiful park

Loved strolling around the park. LOTS of locals. Sites somewhat tight to get in, once in it felt spacious. Trees and good shade. Bath house was ok. Hosts were great!

Exactly what I look for

Janes Island State Park is a wonderful place for scenic state park camping. There are spots for tents and rvs. There is a marina and kayak trails. They have both primitive and full service cabins.

There are 3 camping loops. Loop B is the all electric loop with plenty of large sites that can accommodate bigger rigs. This is where my family stayed. We were directly across the street from the water and the views were amazing. Loop B is pet friendly, and all of the owners there were very responsible.

Due to the high water table, there were plenty of mosquitoes but with the breeze they were held largely in check.

My family and I cannot wait to go back.

Beautiful! Comfortable!

We loved our three night trip. The weather was great minus a terrible mist that came off the ocean one of the evenings.

The bathroom is clean and modern. There are two outdoor showers which were a real treat one warm evening.

Some of the island’s wild horses visited our campsite. You have to make sure every bit of food is put away. Do not feed them as that takes the wild nature out of them.

We met some wonderful people there from all over the east coast. The sites are spaced pretty tightly.

There are no wooded spots. So bring a sun shade or umbrella. Even in late October, it was bright and hot.

There are a few short trails in the National park which were nice.