The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Ridgeway , IOWA

Camping Iowa Ridgeway Standard (Tent/RV)

Most Recent Ridgeway Camping Reviews
Fall Colors

One of the best state parks we've stayed at. We were on the bluff across the street which is no biggie. Site 124 the highest point there for camping. Restrooms were very clean and no bugs in the first of October.

Always had a good time

Wen I lived in Minnesota and my boyfriend was living in iowa, this was our go-to meeting place for our weekend getaways.  We only had a few issues over the 6 times we stayed there relating to reservations….but overall, it was a positive experience.

Iowa corn field roadside park

There’s a new children’s play area and and a very nice American wars memorial. The driveways are gravel and pretty level. 3 drive through sites and 4 back in spots with a few nice trees. Water electric and sewer connections at each site with a separate dump station. A shelter with men’s and women’s rest rooms. No showers. Pretty wide open and close together sites, but the sunset over the cornfields was very pretty.

So beautiful with different levels of hiking.

The campground was quiet And clean- bathrooms extremely clean with facilities being closed for 2 hours each day for cleaning. 2 different camping areas one more woods, one closer to your neighbors but AMAZING bluff top views.

The hiking is awesome- prairie trails, woods trails, waterfalls, caves- take your pick. Concessions have what you may want for a treat, woods is reasonably priced at $4/ bundle. Though there is a stand right outside of the park where bundles are $3.

Gorgeous park, small campground

There are about 30 electric site big enough for RVs, and about 35 non electric site. All are very nice sites with fairly level gravel pads. There are lots of trees for shade making the sites really beautiful if not spacious. We had a tight fit with our travel trailer on site 33e, but once we squeezed in it was excellent. Two bathrooms one with showers, and well kept. The best thing about this park are the wonderful hiking trails. Some are ADA accessible near the camp store, but most are a good climb with lots of ups and downs. Town of McGregor has a few cute restaurants and bars, but enjoy the park and the amazing views of the Mississippi and the Wisconsin rivers. Several big rig RVs were there, but call ahead if you’ve got a big RV to make sure you’ll fit.

There are some fantastic cycling routes near the river, with stops in all the little towns along the way. A wonderful place to spend a weekend, with apple orchards nearby.

Great hidden gem

Out in the middle of bluff country. This nice campground plays to the active bodied person well. From golf to tubing to an indoor swimming pool and restaurant. This place has a lot to offer.

Two great rivers, two great campgrounds

I camped and hiked at Wyalusing State Park as a kid (like 35 years ago) and returned just this summer. It was a last-minute trip and literally got to pick from three remaining sites so wasn't sure what the experience would be like. Four days/three nights later and I can easily say this park is a good as my childhood memories.

Hiking - there are miles of great hiking trails and two trails for mountain biking. While the trails to Big and Little Sand caves are lovely, they are also heavily trafficked. We found that the Mississippi Ridge Trail to be a lovely walk in the woods - without any people (and that was on Labor Day weekend!)

Campsites

I am a car camper with no interest in (E) electric sites, so I did not pay attention nor note good ones. I prefer the silence and relative darkness that non-E sites provide.

We stayed at the Homestead Campground, which consists of four loops named after cardinal directions. Three of the loops are really just a long road with a cul-de-sac at the end, while the fourth is just a big loop with a large green space inside the circle and the loop's water source. This campground's sites are *mostly* among trees, and have a fair amount of privacy (forest understory growth) between sites. Some are further from the road, and very few are right on the road with no screening.

Not surprisingly, the campsites on the three cul-de-sacs seemed the most private and experience the lowest drive-by traffic, but no sites looked awful. In fact, our last minute pick of the remaining three sites was just fine. The entire campground is protected from wind and is very wooded.

If I were to return to this campground, I'd pick 235 and 236 on the west loop, 223, 224 and 225 on the north loop, 209, 210 and 211 on the east loop and 248, 239 and 250 on the south loop. However, you really can't go wrong in this campground.

BATHROOMS: let me wax poetic about the new bathroom/shower block. While I didn't take photos (should have) this is one of the nicest public bathrooms I've ever been in. Not just in a state park, ever. It was built in 2019 and has been treated well by visitors and well maintained by the park and campground hosts. Each gendered bathroom has ample stalls and sinks. There are four single-person showers. All were clean, large and well-lit.

Wisconsin Ridge is the second campground in this state park. This is the quintessential Wyalusing experience with sites overlooking both the Wisconsin and Mississippi River valleys. In my opinion, there is a price to pay for the views. Sites are very close to one another, and most are very close to the road. In some cases, the best (read dry and level)  the best spot to pitch a tent are also close close to the road. Just one side of one road in the loop has the great views, the rest see the view across the road, or in the case of the "inside loop" road, sites are just in the woods. This campground is also noted for its rip-roaring winds, one camper told us that during the rainy and wind night before, their shelter took off and tumbled down the valley - and when they say down, they're talking down, down, down.

That said, if you're looking for a majestic view of both rivers and the quaint river town of Prairie du Chien, the sites you'll want to check out are 119, 127, 129, 122, 144, 146, 148 and 152.

very nice spot on the Root River trail

I camped here midweek in August.  It's in a lovely park in the small (pop 199) town of Peterson, MN.  The park and campground are right on the trail, so very handy.  I was amazed that sewer hookup is included, along with water and electricity, although my sewer hose was not long enough.  Bathrooms are right there, and were clean, with flush toilet and sink.  The park includes a nice playground, horse shoes, a shelter, and HUGE open spaces for your badminton, croquet, or other games.  It was great fun for me to take a morning and/or evening walk around Peterson, a lovely quintessential midwest town, with a feed mill, some lodging, a small cafe, Legion bar, etc.  Some closures due to covid, like the historical society.  Lots of signage around town about history, etc.  I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 day stay in Peterson, and will be back.

Awesome place

The pool is refreshing, campground is clean and inviting. Staff are friendly and helpful.

Great location. Perfect for families.

Great location on the bike trail and Root River. You can easily walk or ride into town. Bathrooms and showers are clean and centrally located. The best features are the huge playground for kids and the river tubing option right from the campground. It’s decently quiet at night but there are a lot of large RVs so expect some people and car activity.