The best TENT SITES camping near
New Liberty , IOWA

Most Recent New Liberty Camping Reviews
Off season parking

Nice beach walk and next to a small town. Came in December to find they close the campground for the season but there’s lots of small lots to park overnight.

Great Little Capmground

Stayed here only 1 night - bit would love to come back for a longer stay.

Very Clean, very goos hosts/owners and a great location near the town of Geneseo and right along a river for kayak, Canoe, SUP activity.

Very Wooded sites - with old huge trees.   Sights are a little close together, but didn't feel crowded.

Also stayed during a vintage camper event and saw some great old-school campers and Motorhomes.

Right on the Mississippi!

This is a really nice campground right on the Mississippi! The campground is quiet with level gravel pads with a picnic table and firepit. The sites have electric, water to fill your tanks with dispersed throughout the campground, and a dump station. The sites are well spaced and the campground itself is feels more like a park that happens to have RV parking. There was a playground, showers, pit toilets, and even a small amphitheater next to the river. And the views are incredible!!! There are a few non-electric tent only sites as well. We were disappointed that we could stay one night due to our schedule. We will definitely stay again!

Stroll through the bat village

Maquoketa Cave State Park , Maquoketo, Iowa

We stopped here for two days on our “Westward Ho” road trip in mid August 2020. Temperatures 80’s in the day to 60’s overnight.

I am not highly familiar with Iowa, I will admit however I AM extremely amazed at this little unique Park in the middle of farmland Iowa. Most of the trip here was driving between fields of corn as far as the eye could see (we came through Illinois).

The town of the same first name is small but the necessities can be had. Found a small shop with local meat, honey and yummies. The drive to the park was pretty straight forward with signage along the way.

This is a very basic park, no lake, no added attractions just trails , picnicking and a small , quiet (well…. I had a family directly across with very talkative, argumentative, sometimes loud children, …luck of the draw ;) and well shaded, electric sites. I like the spacing, privacy and shade. There are several water hydrants throughout the campground to use. A shower house that I will be visiting soon. Firewood on site, with donation box.

You probably don’t want sites 1 or 2, they are directly across from the dump site. The plus is they are directly across from the playground , picnic area and trail access.

Trail access is a short walk across the shelter/ picnic area. As of right now Officially the caves are closed. I saw several hikers not being official though.

The trails have sign posts and the map in a VERY general way gives you some idea as to where you are at BUT there are trails criss crossing everywhere so make sure you have your map tracker on. The trails/scenery are AMAZING! LOVED IT! Needs some maintenance (ie, downed trees) but they may have limited staffing right now. I would suggest a visit even if you only have a few hours. Once they reopen the caves I will absolutely be back.

Nice site, clean and plentiful amenities.

It was late in the season so we didn't do a lot of exploring the resort. But from what I could tell, the grounds were well maintained, staff was friendly, and there were plenty of activities and amenities to keep our kids busy for the weekend.

Stay Here

Driving cross country, this was my favorite campground. I had a large, private site that had a mowed path leading to the lake. The large lake is beautifully landscaped with walking bridges made from recycled iron and memorial trees of many varieties. There is about a two mile trail circumventing the entire lake. I was there in early October so the weather was too chilly to use the nice beach. Great shower house.

Stunning!

Met in the middle to go camping with a friend from Indiana. The views were just stunning. Absolutely breathtaking. We had site 51, and could see and hear the river from our campsite. Sunset on the river, the amphitheater, the park, the sites themselves, all solid 5 stars from us! The only downfall, the bathrooms were clean…ish. They were usable, but definitely could have used a more rigorous and more often clean, especially with covid precautions in place and posted throughout the campground. 100% would stay here again!

Coralville Lake

This campground has become our go to on travels west. September 9, 2020 was our third visit. Beautiful view of the water. Very clean and well run COE

Good place in the middle of nowhere

Stropes is nice (formerly Shaws) and so is the new management. It's a peaceful place to unwind. Seems best for RVs/Campers.

Pretty Location

Really enjoyed our stay, sites are large and staggered so you aren’t staring at your neighbors and can enjoy the views. The road leading in was very rutted so take it slow , also due to COVID reservations are required , you can drive up but a sign asks you to make one online or call . Cell service was poor for T Mobile and the wait time for a call was 45 min, we tracked down a camp host who was able to get us registered and was very friendly. As stated water is shared by 4 sites and was 30 ft away . $10 with senior pass otherwise $20 Train only went by once!