Atlanta, ILLINOIS

Most Recent Atlanta Camping Reviews
Nice little get away

It’s a nice get away from the city. I haven’t stayed at any of the backpacking sites, but the main campground. It is located under a bunch of tall pines, and feels fairly open. You’re close to others, and there isn’t a lot of privacy, but it is pretty. There are a lot of trails, but keep in mind a number of them will have you walking in sandy paths (hence the name). You can even spot some cacti out there, which is a site when you’re in the Midwest. There is also a verse camp, which I have walked through. It has a large pavilion, and all the sites have 0 shade. It’s about 3 hours from Chicago, so I like to hit it up for a quick get-away to avoid paying Wisconsin prices. I have never seen it packed.

We had the place to ourselves

It was March, it was cold at night, but this ADA cabin had heat & electric, 5 beds with mattresses, beds with mattresses (2 pr bunks beds in the second room). Cement sidewalks from parking area to toilets & cabins, each with a waterfront view, fire pit & picnic table. From our cabin we walked grassy paths to a lovely bridge. Around the pond's perimeter are dispersed sites for tent-camping or possibly day-use. It was a challenge to find the park entrance, at night, and the closest small town is about 10-miles away. The very reasonable cost was transacted online.

Sweet Spot for an overnight

Grassy waterfront campsites, clean convenient restrooms, quiet, nice!

Quiet place

Stayed overnight here… it was fairly quick of the highway. Easy in and easy out. Did check out the facilities.

The Kampground is no longer a last resort.

Never really wanted to go somewhere called "The Last Resort". Just seems like they didn't want to be your first choice. But now its called "The Kampground", and it's under new ownership. The new owner has really done a fantastic job of restoring this property which was formerly a church kids camp. The bathrooms were really clean, property well maintain, staff was extremely nice and hospitable, and the area is really quiet with neighbors far enough away that any noise we made went unheard. Thanks for everything Steve!

Campground with service on a lake

Nice big campground on a lake!! Flat sites and reasonable price.

Needs a little sprucing up

This is a pretty area on the Evergreen Lake with mature trees and open spaces. The area I camped in had large spaces between the sites which was nice, but there was no foliage to provide privacy or sound buffering. I could hear one campers entire angry phone conversation. On the plus side, the stars were amazing.

The pad at site 38 was gravel and uneven with electric only. Good electric though. There was a picnic bench and a fire pit, but the bench had been pulled over the pit which was odd. The dump station was also strangely located. It was down the road from the park. The bathrooms have seen better days and so have the sites I viewed. It’s sad because this park looks like it was a real beauty in it’s prime.

Nice and quiet campground!

Nice and quiet campground, we stay there during the Illinois State Fair every August and it is about 20 mins away from the fairgrounds. Only down fall is there needs to be more rock on the sites, the sites get muddy after a rain!

Not a lot of amenities.

Large sites on Illinois River. FHU. Expensive. No laundry, store, or gas. They do sell firewood, pickup your trash, and have two showers available.

Large RV Park

FHU, shower house, no laundry but there are small towns close by that have stores, gas, and laundry facilities. On Saturday night they offer classic country music free. Special events throughout the summer. Two fishing ponds. No license required. Catch and keep. Nice big areas with playgrounds for kids. Bouchée ball courts.

Inexpensive

Quiet but tight spots. Along the Illinois River. Includes showers and laundry house.

Clean campground right on the lake!

Beautiful state owned campground that is well maintained and has everything you could want including mostly shaded sites that are level and have plenty of room and many sit right on the lake. There are even cabins to rent in the hickory point campground.

Nice sites, amenities ???

Nice size sites, with plenty of shade. Fishing, hiking, etc. They have a beach with fee access. The shower house could use a fresh coat of paint, bathrooms could use a thorough cleaning. They use to have camp hosts, no longer do.

Group camping in open area with prickly pear

This is a group only campground. You also need to reserve this- it’s not one you just show up to. There is a big open field with 2 covered picnic table areas. Each one has 2 tables in it. A standout feature might be the 2 huge fit pits. They each have a nice wood ring that is perfect to sit on for some evening storytelling. One set of vault toilets is off to the side.

One drawback is the amount of prickly pear cacti. It is everywhere! There are some free areas to set up a tent but definitely watch where you walk. This camp is also in a clearing so there’s no shade except by the edges.

Another option is Pine Campground which is just down the road. There are also individual back country sites that you can backpack to.

The natural area has some great hiking (the ranger recommends the green trail). There is also hunting and fishing here. A horse campground around the bend means you might encounter some on the trails.

This is a nice area set aside from all other campers but it’s in the open and those cacti are a pain.

Sandy forested equestrian camping

This is the campground for horses and their riders. Tie up posts are in each campsite along with picnic tables. The campground is one loop so the inner ring of sites are almost like a group site setup. The outer ring sites are more private and up against the woods. A set of vault toilets is commonly located. Along with garbage cans there are multiple spots to pile manure. There were a couple sites occupied the first night but it emptied out on Saturday.

Most trails in this natural area are accessible to horses. Trails head out from camp. The longest being almost 15 miles. Hiking and hunting also happen here so keep an eye open on the trails. If you have an energetic horse that you want to work hard, head into the yellow loop. The ranger said it tires everyone because it’s steep hills of sand.

Across the road is a spot for day use riders to park their trailers. There were a bunch parked when we passed it.

This is a hidden gem and worth giving a chance.

Great Place To Get Away

My first time was ruff.. just for the fact I brought my two youngins and my two dogs..That was a lil overwhelming but I did enjoyed myself.. definitely looking forward to going back..possibly without the kids or dogs

Quick getaway

Great camp host!  Bathrooms are ok.  This is a small campground and park.  Never had a bad time here!

One of our favorite places to camp!

We love camping here for the beauty of the lake. Had fun kayaking here too. Usually the bathrooms are cleaner than this last time which is why I gave it a 4 star. If you want a lake spot, make a reservation way in advance.

Ranger review of Banner and Oak Horizon hat at Pine Campground

Campground Review:

This is a hidden gem! We camped immersed in a pine forest. Can you smell that fragrance? This is a nice size campground that feels larger because so few are camping here this weekend.

Our site is up against the woods giving us a sense of being on our own. Vault toilets are clean and in a couple locations. We have two trees perfect for the hammock and yet enough sun to use the solar panels.

One odd point is that we couldn’t find a way to pay. During office hours, you pay at the ranger’s place just down the road. We arrived late but he came around the next morning to check in everyone. He pointed out the 2 water pumps that work and we had a nice chat.

The ranger directed us to hike the green trail. It touches on all the various ecosystems that are found here. It was a great hike and not that difficult at all. It just a short drive away. He also said to watch out for prickly pear as you roam the natural area.

Another camper has been alternating camping here with backpacking to more remote spots. It’s good to have options.

Backpacking, hiking, fishing, horses and hunting can all be done in this large nature area.

Product Review:

As a Dyrt Ranger I sometimes get products to evaluate. This trip I tested out the Horizon hat by Banner and Oak

The Freedom to Explore hat has material over the entire head (not mesh like many other hats of this type). This caught my eye since my lack of hair requires sun protection. I was perfectly happy with this hat. The material is soft and it adjusted to fit perfectly. It was a comfort to know my head was protected.

A side job I asked of it was swatting away all the spiderwebs. We were the first on the trail and they were everywhere! Banner and Oak to the rescue! Their hat slipped on and off easily as I quickly swung it into action.

(Side comment: the Banner and Oak carabiner was great at being a second attachment for my dog’s leash. She broke the metal on her last harness and it’s nice having some reassurance)

I’m recommending this Banner and Oak hat! It works beautifully and carries a message to encourage everyone to find the courage to get outside.

A wonderful campground

Enjoy the many beautiful shady spots and a few full hooks. The shower houses are very clean and a really nice big beach.

Great place to hike

Lots of fun trails with great views! Most trails are accessible from the parking area. Good for pictures at sunrise and sunset!

Secluded Gem

Nicely kept lake campground. Spots 56-60 overlook the boat docks. Bass fishing is good here. Showers are doable but don’t ever seem to be truly clean. Kayaking and canoeing is great here also. Cabins are small, rustic with no AC or water but are all nicely placed on the water. Campsites don’t have any shade. Drawbacks: dirty showers, no beach/swimming.

Very nice!

This is a really nice campground but the only downside is that it can be pretty windy. Nice sites with some that are right on the lake.

Beautiful clean state park!

If you love fishing or enjoying sunsets on a quiet lake then this campground is for you. Spacious shaded sites with many sitting right on the lake. There are even cabins to rent if that’s more your speed!

Extremely clean

Can tell they take pride in cleanliness of sites, parks, and bathroom. Nice pool.

Great little park

Great camping and great fishing. Scenic little park. Tent and trailer camping here, but the real reward is in the primitive backpacking sites. Highly recommend.

Nice but...

It’s a nice campground but it’s usually insanely busy. Holidays are crazy. I’ve heard people say you can sometimes get a nice, fairly secluded spot but I haven’t had the patience to try. We honestly try to avoid large crowds.

Family Friendly

Lots of planned activity and music entertainment. Bathrooms are not clean and It’s very buggy.

Great place to stop or stay

Our daughter stays there in our camper to attend summer internship in Springfield. The camp hosts passively look out for her and have been willing to help if she should need it. Shower house is clean, camp ground is well run, they even escort you to your site so that your facing the right way and take a route that best suites your rig. Most are shaded and almost all are pull through. Full hook ups. Nice in ground pool and laundry facilities.

Tight Squeeze!

Stayed here in early June during a trip to Starved Rock, which is a quick 10-15 minute drive. Camp hosts are very nice and the the grounds well maintained. I stayed on site 5 which is a full hookup but best for a small camper. I have a 14 foot travel trailer and it just fit with my SUV in front. The spots are very tight and you have very little room between you and your neighbor. With all the rain this year, many sites flooded during a storm while we camped and they had to be moved to other areas that were not actual sites so it was a bit crazy…hosts did a great job taking care of everyone effected. Campground has a cute dog park and a beautiful stream that runs through it. I would stay here again!!