Yurts
About Fort Yargo State Park

Nestled between Athens and Atlanta, Fort Yargo is a 1,816-acre park located in Georgia state. Its namesake comes from a log fort that was constructed by settlers who, at the time, built it to protect themselves against the Creek and Cherokee. Nowadays, visitors flock to this park to enjoy the variety of outdoor recreation and activities.

Apart from all the recreation the park has to offer, it also provides some of the most gorgeous views in the Eastern region of the United States. Here, folks can enjoy over 20 miles of hiking and bike trails. Fort Yargo State Park is also a common location for outdoor weddings and other types of special events and celebrations.

Those looking to stay overnight have an abundance of options to choose from. The park offers 12 walk-in campsites, 13 “adventure” cabins, 40 RV and tent campsites, group shelters, and even lakeside yurts for anyone wanting a true “glamping” experience. The fees for staying overnight range from $25-135, and do not include the ParkPass fee. The ParkPass fee is $5 per day for passenger vehicles carrying a maximum of 12 people, and for passenger vehicles with additional occupants the fee is $30 per day. Additionally, there is an annual option for $50-75 per year. Luckily, visitors are only required to pay for a ParkPass once during the entirety of their stay.

The main attractions to this park are the variety of activities such as disc golf, mini golf, kayaking, canoeing, paddle boarding, swimming, fishing, and geocaching. Disc golf has proven to be a challenge for many visitors, at least partly due to the fact that it's a densely wooded course. This park is also home to a gorgeous 260-acre lake with a seasonal beach. Visitors can enjoy a day at the lake on one of the two beach pavilions and fishing is a welcome activity as well.

Hike In
Fort Yargo State Park is located in Georgia
17 Reviews of Fort Yargo State Park
Good Place for a beginner kayaker

I am new to kayaking and recently bought my own boat. I wanted to take it someplace with a small, safe lake to spend the weekend practicing. Ft. Yargo was perfect, because I was able to tie my boat up to a tree right at my campsite. I was at site 42, which is a walk-in tent site. It served my purpose well. Otherwise, it's kind of a low-key run-of-the-mill state park. There's a beach for swimming, mini-golf, biking/hiking trails, picnic and grilling space, and they also rent boats (paddle boats, jon boats, kayaks, and possibly canoes). It's close to Atlanta, so if you want to go for a quick trip away from the city, this is a good spot.

Great campground with awesome sites

We live in winder where Yargo is located and we come here all the time! We camp in a pop up and love coming to Yargo bc most of the sites are shaded. Beautiful park especially the camping area. Couple complaints- the water faucets in bath house are motion sensor and they are hit or miss if they’ll work. Went to the marina to rent a Jon boat bc we saw a ad for them on Facebook. Upon arriving we were told they didnt have any for rent, and haven’t for 2 seasons, bc they have holes in them. LOVE the new visitors center.

CLEAN AND BEAUTIFUL

This campground is literally amazing! There are bike trails, hiking trails, beautiful beaches, boating and kayaking. I wish that I had a week to spend here. This is also a historic area, so there is much to explore, without leaving the campground. There is a store with souvenirs and local goodies. The staff were very helpful and sweet. Our site #36 was perfectly level. The only thing it didn't have was sewer hookup, but the dump station was easy to get to. Definitely would go back! RANGER REVIEW OF BANNER AND OAK HAT** Being a Ranger with The Dyrt, I have the privilege to review awesome products! I received this really nice hat from Bannee and Oak. The material is a really nice blue, and soft like a well worn pair of jeans. I believe that this will become my new go to hat! Thank you, @thedyrt and Banner and Oak!!! https://bannerandoak.com

Quiet camping

Primitive sites. Very quiet-not crowded when we were there.

Fantastic views,

One of my best state park, we travel with Rv and sites was clean & including water & electric. The roads are good, it was raining wen we stay their, we had a wonderful time. We're from Israel and we travel the USA with an RV, so this park was just fantastic.

Relaxation in The Woods

Fort Yargo is in the Winder Ga area and is close to Helen, Jefferson, Athens and Atlanta. Entering the campground is a nice paved road and leads to tent camping, cabins, yurts and RV sites.

Very clean park and has Historical area, playground, tennis court, bike and hike trails. Not to mention beach and boating area.

Picnics, camping, boating biking and camping or just day use areas. Pet friendly and all around great park.

There is a small general store, but you are so close to everything if you need it, it's there.

Gread for the Georgia Bulldog crowd as its less then 30 minutes!

I recommend this park highly.

Walk-campaites

If you’re like me and appreciate a bit of privacy when camping, the walk-in campsites at Fort Yargo are the place to go. Just a short 1-2 minutes walk from your car and bathrooms, but you feel much more secluded than the campsites in the regular campground. The 12walk-in sites are waterfront to the lake- perfect for kayaking or paddle boarding. If you want privacy, but dont want to ‘hike-in’ all your camping gear, I highly recommend these sites!

Great walk in sites

Beautiful sites that are somewhat private. Lots to do close by in the day time (biking, hiking, fishing, swimming..)

Yurts!

This is one of the few state parks in Georgia with yurts and also has a great flat biking trail. The lake allows for kayaking and boating and some yurts are actually right on the lake. A good glamping destination.

Absolutely beautiful!!!! I wanted to never go home!!

It has history. A beautiful lake with many activities. Great primitive camp sites as well as spacious pull through lake front spots for RVs. They also have cute yurts on the lake with a movie night for kids!