About Telluride Town Park
Hike In
Telluride Town Park is located in Colorado
10 Reviews of Telluride Town Park
Only 4 stars because -

It depends which campground you get in Town Park. On the softball field vs vendor camp, totally different. Our experience is more vendor camp which includes- tons of trees, beautiful views, but minimum space for tents. Great bathrooms, running water and random portaloo during festivals. Showers are coin operated and nice. Always enjoy coming to Telluride, weather can be unpredictable so prepare for 4 seasons. Most of the year. Had a seriously huge bear walk right next to our tent, so make sure to be safe and aware. Lots of bears on the area. And they are crafty.

Beautiful, convenient, accommodating

This campground rocks. Helpful staff, amazing views of the mountains, and 5 minute walk to the Telluride shops, restaurants and galleries. Bathrooms and showers are super nice and have hot water. A river/creek flows right next to the campground too which is lovely!

Comfortable, But Tight

What more can you say when you're staying in the most beautiful place on earth? Telluride is not a spot to miss when visiting (or living in) Colorado. The campground is very well maintained, clean and well appointed. The spots are close together so plan to hear your neighbors and be very friendly with them. Go for a spot by the river if you can (deeper in the campground). This is, of course, a great place to stay during music festivals if you have the ability to get a camping pass early on.

They Call It ”Free Parking” Just Like Monopoly!!

Late fall in Telluride can be one of the most beautiful times to visit. Before the snow covers the mountains entirely the crisp air engulfs the town and blends just the right amount of frost with greenery.

This was the setting of my trip to Telluride in early October. I arrived and roads were clear, the gondola was unfortunately down for pre-snow maintenance and the community was all the buzz preparing for their busiest season.

Camping is a bit difficult to find here unless you navigate outward, which is what I initially did before meeting a slick mountainside and having car issues which forced me to come back to town. Frantic and just before dark, I asked around for a safe place to stay. Just beside one of the cities green spaces and the park area is a lot designed for just that, short term over night parking. They call it “free parking”. It is located near the park and car henge which is a lot in downtown established to facilitate ski traffic during the busy season.

When I arrived there were several small off grid capable vehicles there already, a few short buses, RVs and suvs clearly converted to be adventure vehicles.

I myself wasn’t expecting to stay in my car as I usually camp in a tent, however this is a vehicle only site!! So I cozied up for the night inside the car, and boy was I happy I did!! The chill of winter blew in that night and with it 20 degree mornings.

I woke up and explored the area from this location and realized there was a public restroom at the front of the lot designed for those who stayed in the lot and others for ski community. It was nice and bare bones, no shower but warm!! The location was minutes from cafes and walking trails and the heart of Telluride.

When I spoke to people later in the day they said the lot was set up for RVs which could not park in many of the ski community parking areas. There is a shuttle that runs during season to pick people up from some of the hotels and this lot. Over time they extended overnight parking but not long term parking.

I was so thankful for this location, a true camping savior in the middle of this beautiful town!!

TIPS:

• When pulling into town this lot is going to be at the first major crossroad toward the right after the roundabout.
  • Arrive Early! I was lucky that there was a space available when I arrived however I was told it is typically capacity well before dark.

To check out more about my experience camping here as well as more things that I found around Telluride which made sleeping in my car at FREE PARKING worth it check out these two links:

Right in the heart of town

This place is great being so close to town. Great place to camp for festivals. Awesome amenties.

Telluride Town Park

This campsite is great if you want to do Telluride on a budget - it's free. It's right next to the town and is used a lot for Telluride's summer festivals. Its more than a campground it is also where a lot of town events are held and also has sports venues. There's also grills, bathrooms, picnic tables, a dog park, and a pond. Unless you're at a festival, the campground isn't where you will want to spend your time though. The campground is very close to Bridal Veil Falls, a huge free fall waterfall. You can drive or hike up to it, and climb around on the rocks and get blasted by cold water from the falls. It's huge. There's also a bunch of awesome hikes around Telluride - the San Juans are my favorite part of Colorado.

Fun spot by the river right in town.

Town park is right at the end of town. Camp and enjoy the sounds of the river, nearby trails, and limited company. This campsite gets used a LOT during the summer as festival-goers camp to keep their costs down. Different festivals expand the Campground to accommodate for the influx of campers.

Amazing

The stars have never seemed more bright.

Stunning view

Absolutely breathtaking views and a very quaint town.

Great campsite right by town

We came here to camp for two nights. Loved it. You're only a few minutes from town but it's at the end of town so you don't really have any traffic or road noise.