The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Jamestown , COLORADO

Camping Colorado Jamestown Standard (Tent/RV)

Most Recent Jamestown Camping Reviews
Expensive camping.

Sites are very hard to get your unit level. Very high price for no hookups. Close to Estes Park.

Beautiful campground!

The best campground by far. Horses within the ranch roam free and will come right up to you. Could do with another set of bathrooms, only one is all the way up front. If you are in the back, it is like a half-mile walk every time you need to go. However, I wouldn’t call this a deal breaker in any way.

Nice dispersed campsites

Free dispersed camping with zero amenities but man made fire pits. Windy and cold but beautiful!

Closed

We were so excited but as of January 1, 2021 it is closed. I’m sure it will reopen during warmer seasons.

Love it Here, Will Be Back

No hookups but spacious level sites! Clean bathrooms and water spouts throughout the campground. Lovely views from the lookout right within the campground… really rewarding to stumble upon. Wish I could have stayed longer but was there for the very last week before season close. I didn’t make a reservation so I paid cash in the ranger box. No working ATMs in the area so be sure to bring some if you’re paying that way. Oh, also! A moose came right up to my campsite on my last night!! Luckily I was in the van so I could observe it safely. Soooo cool! Super nice camp hosts. Cool drive up to campground.

Our favorite

Damaged by the East Troublesome fire in 2020. At least one restroom destroyed. I doubt it will open in 2021. But I hope so.

Great spot with everything you need

Typically we try for the more out of the way campgrounds or dispersed camping, but with a brand new trailer, we needed a bit more stability. Base Camp offered electric hook ups for us, a stocked store, and they lent us an extension cord when we realized we left it at home.

Had this been summer, I would expect it to be pretty tight quarters, and you are pretty close to a decently trafficked road, and Base Camp doubles as a gas station and propane fill (again, great if you need it while you're staying there), so I wouldn't call it private.

Kind folks and a great first night.

Camping Like it Used to Be

South Fork is located in the Arapaho National Forest and administered by the Sulphur Ranger District. Situated on the banks of the South Fork of the Williams Fork of the Colorado River, this campground reminds me of days gone by when reservations were not a "thing".

Southfork is a first come, first served campground with 21 sites. While there is generally a resident Host, the lightly used campground has the feel of what campgrounds were like 50 years ago. Individual sites are mostly flat. All sites have picnic tables, fire rings, and tent pads. All will fit tents, most will accommodate travel trailers, and some will allow 5th wheels/large RVs well over 40' (some spurs are 50'). There is also a group site that fronts the creek which is available by reservation. There are two well maintained pit toilets and two functioning hand crank water wells available. For equestrians, there is a small corral on the south end of the campground though I've never seen it in use. Like the Sugarloaf campground, Southfork was cleared of trees a number of years ago.

When I first camped at Southfork some 8 years ago, the sites in the center were all open with small seedling Lodge pole pines beginning to take root. Spruce trees along the creek were not cleared and are very large making for nice shady sites (these are the most popular and always fill fast). Today, the seedlings have grown quite fast and are in the range of 5-7 feet tall providing a nice screen between the formerly open sites. Note that this is not always the most quite campground as there is a tramway that connects the Henderson Mine with it's Mill located off the Ute pass road. When the tram is running, it creates a fair amount of background noise. While I have no problem just hanging out at the campground, there are many other activities available in the area.

For those with a restless spirit of adventure, trout fishing, hiking, and Geocaching are available in the Southfork area. If you are interested in more detail, check out the review of Sugarloaf campground located just to the south.

Due to a lack of amenities, Southfork may not be for everyone but if you're looking for a campground that has the spirit of bygone days, this place is well worth a look.

Convenient location

All sites have great access and close to the ponds. Variety of fish in the ponds. They allow ice fishing as long as the ice is safe. Some traffic noise if you are on the east side of the park due to proximity to I 25. Best to get a yearly Colorado access pass.

Nice Little Campground By The Water

Stillwater campground is a decent size campground with Back in campsites and pull through sites. The entire campground is basically two loops next to the water so pretty much every campsite has gorgeous view of the lake and the mountains. I visited in July of 2020 and it was beautiful.

My only complaint is that I had made my reservations online a month before our actual arrival date. Yet, when we showed up at 7:30pm with the sun almost completely set, 2 hungry dogs, and 3 humans ready to stretch legs after a 13 hour drive, we discovered that someone had already set up camp in our reserved space (#106). The camp host on duty had circled our site as one of the ones available for a one night stay even though it was reserved (for us!). I got a little worried for a moment since all campgrounds nearby were at full capacity and we needed a site for 2 nights. I really didn’t want to make the people who had already set up their camp site move. After talking to the host we managed to find one site in this campground available for both nights and honestly it was better than the site I had originally reserved!

We ended up setting up camp in site 123. It was closer to the bathrooms, a little more private, and big enough for both of our tents. We had our own little pathway to a small beached area next to the lake where we enjoyed watching the sun rise and drinking our coffee. This place is a short drive to the south entrance of RMNP so it made exploring during the day easy. They campground hosts have firewood there you can buy (I think it was $6 but I can’t remember now) and the bathrooms were really clean. No showers though. Each campsite had a picnic table and a fire pit. And cell service was great with verizon!

I’d definitely stay here again even with our minor inconvenience when we first arrived. I usually stay in Estes Park but I’m really glad we didn’t this time. It was nice and quiet. Perfect for our quiet, social distancing adventure.