Caledonia, WISCONSIN

Most Recent Caledonia Camping Reviews
Wonderful

We did our first (family of 5) camping trip at Thomas Woods. We were at site 4 which is electric hookup and it was a huge area! The kids had so much space to run around and explore. They loved the well pump. We explored the campground both tent and rv. Both areas were well spaced out with enough privacy. There was another 3 groups there but didn’t noticed everyone was quiet. We also went on walks within the conservation, the trails were very easy and was a nice walk. We will definitely be going back to Thomas Woods

Great in the off season

This park has a fair amount of trees throughout which gives a greater sense of privacy than most state parks. As usual, the facilities were well maintained and the park was clean. The beach was great for morning walks but that draw makes it seem that this park is probably packed in the summer. Location of hiking trails from campsite isn't super clear but head south for the longest trails. If it's been raining a lot I'd be wary as many of the sites were completely underwater when we went. It's a great place to take your dog with you! (Beware if they have long hair though, the pine trees meant I had to cut sap out of my dog's hair in several places.)

Family fun!!

Great place to take the fam, big sites not to close to other campers. Lots of trees to hang a hammock and relax, great beach, good hiking. Going back for a weekend to check out the walk ins.

Always a great choice

We visited this fall and were happy. I always forget that the sites in the 340’s are awesome. There was some flooding but it didn’t effect our trip.

Lots to do!

Took my 2 year old fir first time tent camping, we were at site 231, which was huge and very nice. We had some friends at other sites that weren’t as nice. There is a YouTube video posted of all the sites. There is so much to do we couldn’t do everything we wanted in the one night we stayed.

This is not an camp ground it a RV condo ass

Nice place though

Beautiful park

The park is clean, lots of shade, host on site and very well maintained. The almost 100 sites are all gravel with electric and water for a great price. Reservations can be made thru Real Racine but half of the sites are available for walkins. There is a shooting range close and RR to the west and Mitchell Airport to the north but they aren't bad.

The people who work there are great!

The people who work there are wonderful and even most of the seasonal campers we met were very nice people. We did have a few run ins with some not so good people however and the cops visit there often. The owners do their part to make things right however and immediately made the people causing trouble to leave. We were there for about a month and overall it was a good place to stay. Our tent site was right next to the playground, pool and bathrooms which made it convenient for our children, however kids run all over at night on the weekends until 2 am so the noise at that hour can be annoying. We also went through several storms while there and were offered parts for one of our canopies that blew away and the security guy who was always nice to us tied our other canopy to a tree when it also blew away to prevent it from going farther and being more damaged. Bathrooms I would give a 2 star rating alone.

Very nice friendly people

Bathrooms and outhouses were very clean! Not a lot to do but quiet and friendly atmosphere.

Laid back

Nice park pretty laid back. Had some cool amenities like the off road park and multiple fishing spots. Has a winery and cool dive bars all within 10 min. Only downside is all the noise from the road and the drag strip near by.

Large sites, nice showers and beautiful Lake Michigan!

The sites are large and nice. There are some sites that aren't very level so you do need to check that out if you're in a larger rv. We had the beach mostly to ourselves. We camped from Monday to Thursday after school had started back. We will be returning to this campground. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. The only down side we found was the limited shower and toilet facilities for such a large campground. We didn't have any trouble because of the time we were camping but it would be a problem if the campground was pretty full.

Terrible Campground

We were in town for the annual geocachers Cache Bash. We chose this property because it had some of the best reviews and was closest to the location of the event that we were attending. The rules are terribly strict and evidently don't apply to everyone. Several people had 2 cars to a site when we were told that we could not park our 2nd vehicle onsite. We were even told how to park the one vehicle that could remain on our site. When I called to reserve we were told we wouldn't have to pay for all 4 children to stay, but when I reserved the site, I had to pay.$68/night is ridiculous for something that hasn't been updated since 1970. The pay shower was horrible: the water smelled like rotten eggs. We will be in town again, but will never stay at this campground. The only thing it has going for it was the location and it was maintained fairly well. Update the facilities if you're going to charge a premium to camp at your facility and don't be so crazy about the rules. You have to sign a piece of paper saying you understand and have read the rules. The owners seem to be control-freaks. After getting home and taking two of the children to the doctor for an illness that was caught while in the campground, we found that the smell from the hot water in the showers was actually from bacteria in the water.

Quiet and Clean

Went on our maiden voyage with a new trailer and loved this place. Flat sites, some shade in the center sections. Outer sites backed to woods for most sites. The campground takes reservations 7 days out or drive up. We saw a lot of bigger rigs but so much space between sites it didn't feel like we were crowded. Even the Saturday night it was full still felt quiet and peaceful. Bathrooms were clean. About a mile hike to Lake Michigan but easy flat route-goes along community park thru a small neighborhood. Amazing view! Racine is only a 15 min drive away. No camp store or office. Camp Hosts helpful. Stores nearby. Great place to go for space, flat sites and trees.

No privacy

I enjoy Illinois beach state park for a quick getaway. It’s a great spot to cook out and have a beer. However it is generally loud, with no vegetation between you and your neighbor. It’s not an ideal spot to connect with nature. The beach is pretty but it’s more interesting to look at the derelict old buildings and nearby out of use nuclear power plant.

Clean & Safe Urban Campground On County Preserve

This campground is very well maintained with all the amenities you could need: a small camping store, communal kitchen, firepits, and clean bathrooms. Check out the office for fun seasonal events like group hikes and geocaching contests.

Located in the Norwest suburb of Palatine, this campground is super accessible from Chicago and a fun getaway for suburban camping. Grocery stores and modern conveniences are minutes away. From the campground you have access to the entire Deer Park preserve and it's paved cycling and walking trails.

Cook County residents get a nice discount, as do veterans. Rates go up on the weekends. A one week limit for all stays unless you get approval from higher-ups.

RV spots are concrete, flat, and easy to get into.

Overall, a very clean and well-loved sem-urban camping experience.

It might be the timing

We had a wooded site in the Sunset campground, mid-week.

The sites are rustic but nicely groomed with a tree line between most campsites, although almost none of the spots had occupants. The camp hosts were very nice and very communicative about all the happenings. Picnic table and fire pit included. Long enough drive in for RVs. But enough grass for tenting. Not many trees available for clothes lines.

Unfortunately, we might have had bad timing. The beach was closed due to high levels of bacteria. The pit toilets closest to us were also closed due to a bee hive being found so we ended up driving to the flush toilets if there was any urgency but could walk if you wanted. We also picked a spot by the water fountain. The water was yellow from iron. It had just stormed so the bugs were bad and everything was wet. So mostly a series of unfortunate events but we still enjoyed our time.

Because this is a prairie, there is so much to look at! The hiking trails are great through prairie and woods. The sunrise over the prairie and the sunset colors of the sky were great.

Beautiful secluded state park!

This was our first time camping in Wisconsin and we got to say we absolutely love this park. Most of the sites are pretty secluded so if you enjoy your privacy I will love this place. Everything was clean and updated including the bathrooms. The campsites are about a mile or two from Lake Michigan but it is an easy drive or hike as there are many trails that go through the park. When we went to the lake level was up so high due to flooding that we weren’t really able to enjoy the beach but normally there is plenty of coastline for enjoying some beach time.

Large wooded sites- near loud road

The campground is well kept with several bathrooms and showers. We have a 30ft travel trailer, and it was easy to maneuver around the campground. We did have to wait in line to fill the water tank, but the water pressure was good and it didn’t take too long. We stayed at site 327e, which was very easy to back in to and was mostly level. Easy access to electrical and plenty of space for slide outs. A nice big fire pit with large flat grate for cooking, one of the best set ups I’ve seen. Would be perfect, but there’s a loud highway WI-67 traffic about 20 ft from the campsite. Tons of loud motorcycles and trucks with constant traffic. If you want solitude I would avoid sites 305e-328e, all of the odd number sites back up to the road. Evens, except for 328e, are inside and are better. Video shows traffic and noise. I would come back, but pick a site inside the campground and away from highway.

Lots to do

There are a ton of activities here to include two bouncy pillows, three play grounds, a pool, water slides, a kids water activity area, beach, water obstacle course, inflatable slide, RC car track, laser tag, mini golf, giant chess, and I'm sure I'm missing something. Great place for families. Don't allow Saturday checkout.

Great campground!

Camped here the past few years for my son’s birthday. Last year we heard out their fall package and got 3 weekends for a very much discounted price. Loved it so much we got it again this year! We will again spend most of September here! So many activities for the kids and adults! Yes it’s pricey, but you know that going into your reservation. It’s not like you have to pay extra for the wristbands at every other campground. They’re already included. The package we have includes 2 Halloween weekends. We have been to other campgrounds for Halloween, including 2 last year. We gave up standing reservations we’ve had for about 10 years now to spend Halloween at jellystone only.

Our all-time favorite place

Absolutely beautiful, reasonable prices, electric available. Tons of restrooms, showers, laundry, and wonderful camp hosts. Huge beach area, dog park, fishing as well. Shop to buy items you may need and absolutely wonderful place. Open all year round

Great state park for family RV camping

I love everything about this park except the beach, so it didn’t get a 5 star. We stayed at site 98- just barely big enough to fit our travel trailer in and right next to the showers and bathrooms. Not a great location, but fine. Took a walk around and found plenty of other large, private shaded electric sites. If we came here again I would go for a site away from the bathroom. The tent sites looks fantastic- large and private. Plenty of hiking trails here, a decent playground, and tons of large fields to picnic in. Park has a Facebook page where they post activities. Friday night we saw a presentation on the cranes of Wisconsin, and Saturday morning we did a parkwide scavenger hunt. All fun for the family. We would definitely camp here again. The beach is across the very busy road, and has about 10 ft of sand before the road. Fine for a dip, but not relaxing. Very crowded. Other beaches are nearby but not free. Town of Lake Geneva is very cute in an upscale tourist way. Our kid found the museum a lot of fun.

Very accommodating

Extremely friendly,affordable and clean. Stayed with my family (includes 3 boys) who found fun all weekend long. Swimming lake was very warm and clean. Fishing was available. Very affordable canoe kayak rentals. Mini golf and a little store where if you need it they have it. Very easy to pull or back in camper or trailer. Lots of room.

Chill place

Very laid back place. Best describes this place. I have no complaints except that the trash can right in front of out site was not taken out in a long time and stunk to high heaven. I had to walk it down a couple sites so we couldn’t smell it. ( there was nobody at the site I took it to and nobody around that site) pool was warm and people very drunk and friendly!

Ranger review: Morsel Spork at Whitewater Lake- Kettle Moraine State Forest

Campground Review: Another nice visit to my favorite park! I love that this campground is small and secluded, yet close enough to cities that would have anything you needed. There is lots to do- two lakes, many hiking trails, and a great beach. We took our boat out for the first time on Whitewater Lake and enjoyed it. We live in Delavan, and the lake there gets filled with people so you can’t enjoy yourself without some yahoo zooming by. Whitewater lake is a big difference- it’s spread out enough that you can enjoy quiet time for fishing and relaxing yet there is still plenty of space for tubing or hotdogging on your jet ski without disturbing others. Rice Lake seems even calmer, but we didn’t get out on it this time. The beach is my favorite part- maybe because we come so often just for a day trip? It’s nicely spread out on a hill so it’s easy to see your kids in the water no matter where you are sitting. The shady areas get claimed first, so you may want to bring an umbrella or canopy if you come later in the day. The pit toilets and changing rooms are clean and maintained. There are also garbage and recycling cans, and it seems like every visit I make someone comes around and empties them so they don’t attract a lot of bugs or overflow with trash. As far as the campground goes, there are three separate sections. The east loop, the west loop, and the Hickory Woods group camp. Some of the sites on the east and west loop can be hit or miss- there’s a lot of size difference. The sites are all pretty private with lots of trees and brush between sites. There are a lot of long driveways for backing RV’s into. We were at site 610, on the east loop. This was one of the few electric sites available at the campground. The bathrooms were right behind this site, which was convenient, but it might get a little annoying to have so much foot traffic right next to your site when the campground is busier. We just wound up hanging a tapestry to give us a little more privacy. Speaking of bathrooms, the only ones available in the whole park are pit toilets and there are no shower facilities available- you have to make do with a dip in the lake or a wash up at camp. For us, it wasn’t a dealbreaker since we were only staying a few days and we live close if we needed an emergency shower, but if you were staying for a longer period it might be more of an issue. The Kettle Moraine South Horse Camp is 15 minutes away and they have showers available. I’ve never been there, so I can’t say how nice they are. The only other drawback is that the park office is not open very often. Other than those two things this park is perfect!

Product Review: As a ranger for the Dyrt I get products to test from time to time. I tested the Morsel Spork. https://morselspork.com I got both the regular and the XL. Both are high quality- lightweight but sturdy. The longer one was excellent for stirring things in a pot over the fire and held up to the heat without softening or melting. It would also be great for using in food pouches- no more leaving bits in the bottom or getting your hand covered in food clinging to the side! Both were comfortable to eat with, even for my 4 year old. I especially liked how the spatula part has both a flat and a curved side so you can use the side that’s most appropriate for what you are scraping. The curved side is great for getting everything out from under the lip of a can. The cutting edge on the fork part works well for softer things yet is not harsh on your mouth. I was able to cut tomatoes and saw through some carrots with it. Clean up is a breeze. Food wipes right off and I used the spatula to scrape out all the pots and plates before washing so I needed less water for dishes. Another useful feature is the hole in the handle. I used a small carabiner clipper through the holes to keep them together when I throw them in my kitchen sack. There’s a lot of sporks out there, but the Morsel is the way to go!

Ranger review: Morsel Spork at Whitewater Lake- Kettle Moraine State Forest

Nice and quiet

Nice distance between each site. There is little to no ground cover so you can see all the other sites but they are spread apart and you still feel like you have privacy. Hiking was great and the lookout tower has an amazing view!!

Nice park, rude rangers

The park itself is really nice with unique areas to explore. The sites are nice with good privacy and the bathrooms and showers are clean. What we did not like was the rangers who seemed to never leave us alone. We definitely felt targeted since we were a small group of 20 something's. We were very quiet, went to bed early and didnt cause any issues besides at one point having one too many vehicles on the site when we were unloading kayaks. We apologized to the ranger but told them we were already going to move to the over flow lot. From then on we were visited by the ranger every night coming into our site to see what we were doing. Very annoying but overall a nice place to camp.

Nice campground right in our backyard!

I have camped here many times as a kid and always loved it. We recently came here with a large group and tent camped at one of the large tent sites. I believe there are only 2 non-electric tent sites but the large huge and grassy with excellent privacy. The managers/owners of the camp are really nice and laid back. There is a small fishing pond off the back side of the non-electric sites and there is a nice outdoor pool and indoor jacuzzi next to a large rec room/bar. I haven't seen it personally but I know they have live music and summer events. We love that this place is so close, we get to get away without the long drive!

Great lake and hiking

We had a great time swimming and hiking At Pike Lake State Park. There is a nice observation tower with beautiful views of Holy Hill. The beach is large and there is a designated area for dogs, which we loved. Our campsite was large and grassy and had good privacy. The only issue we had was that our site was in a divot and had lots of low spots and therefore flooded badly, like 3 inches in our tent bad. Overall great camping, just watch for low sites in the non-electric area.