the dyrt
National Forest
Coho is located in Olympic National Forest in Washington
4 Reviews of Coho
Nice campground near Wynoochee Lake

The campground is next to Wynoochee Lake, which offers swimming, boating and fishing. The sites were adequate in size and have picnic tables and fire rings. Reasonable privacy. The bathrooms were clean and things were generally well maintained. There was a fair amount of noise during the day from power boats on the lake, but it was always possible to find a quiet place along a trail to enjoy nature. Firewood available for purchase from the campground host. If you camp in a lot of National Forest campgrounds, this is pretty standard: basic amenities, clean & maintained, scenic location. There were lots of mosquitoes, so come prepared. (Our experience in this campground inspired us to buy a screen house, which is well worth it. If we would have had it here, we would have avoided some of the dozens of bites we got.)

Ranger Review: Belmont Blanket #AdventureBlanket at Coho Campground: Great secluded campground far off in the National Forest

Campsite Review: The Coho campground in Olympic National Forest is pretty interesting as it’s just off Lake Wynoochee, formed by the Wynoochee Dam (I don’t think I ever really got the Indian names down quite right). This portion of the National Forest is really cool and feels very secluded as you drive for miles and miles from any real civilization into some wonderful old growth forests. The 46-different pull-through, back-in campsites are all fairly separated and you’re not at all bothered by your neighbors. There are also 10 walk-in tent only sites and a handful of Yurts (which looked interesting). Since you are off quite a way down an old logging road (paved one way, unpaved the the other) you have absolutely no highway noise to deal with and no one is coming and going at all hours of the night. All of the campsites themselves are a decent size with nice flat areas, huge tables, fire ring, etc. We stayed at site 41 in loop B which was open to the road, but we had no one behind us or on either side. When getting your site be careful about the exact size allotment if you’re in a big RV or have a 5th wheel, etc. Felt really bad for the guy trying to back into site 38 beside us. He tried for 30+ minutes pulling around and trying to get a better angle 2-3 times before they found the camp host and to move to site 40 which was empty. While the site might say it’ll fit your vehicle, the roads are narrow and there are random boulders here and there which may impede your maneuvering. The sites which are “on the water” aren’t really on the water, but overlook a pretty steep decline to the lake with the 16-mile lakeshore trail in between. If you’re a boater you’re also not too far from the boat access ramp.

The toilet facilities in Loop B were nice and clean. The facilities right by us seemed to have been properly maintained and no guests had come in and destroyed them. There was hand soap and plenty of paper towels and toilet paper (in case you forget to bring your own).

Amenities: Definitely larger than standard picnic tables, fire rings, plus flush toilets, potable water, & trash cans which were emptied first thing in the morning |Prohibited: pets off-leash

Nearby Hikes: Wynoochee lakeshore trail, which goes by a couple waterfalls & Working Forest Nature trail, which gives you a little insight into the life cycle of the forest

Gear Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt I sometimes get the opportunity to test out products and the highlight of this particular camp site was my testing of the Belmont Blanket #AdventureBlanket The best all-purpose blanket ever!! This is a truly fantastic blanket and completely different from the other “outdoor blankets” which either are supposedly waterproof or keep you warm. This blanket does it all. I felt like this was designed specifically with mastering the outdoors in mind.

• I was really impressed with the size that this rolls up into. Was thinking it wouldn’t be nearly as warm with such a small packed size for a 6’ x 5’ all weather blanket.
  • Similarly, this blanket is huge. I’m 6 feet tall and this blanket can cover me from head to toe. So many times with an “outdoor” blanket, I can’t fully stretch out.
  • The #AdventureBlanket is really soft on the plush inside, it’s very comfy and has actually become not only our outdoor blanket, but also our couch blanket.
  • Can’t attest to the waterproofing in the wild (thankfully haven’t yet had to test out if we’d get ‘wet butt’ or not), but our makeshift water bottle rain test proved the blanket was fully waterproof (not resistant) which is awesome.
  • Really like the design with the awesome leather accents. The colors are really sharp and make the blanket pop.
  • Probably one of the best features of this blanket is that it’s Handmade in the USA!! How many companies or products can claim that now a day.

I give the Belmont Blanket #AdventureBlanket 5/5 stars and it's my go to "blanket" for any picnic/fest/outdoor activity and I actually got myself a second one!

Camping on the Peninsula

I booked this campground online. It's on the closer end to Seattle, without traffic it takes about 2.5 hours to get to. We originally booked campsite #40 Loop B, a group site, but didn't like it. Since the grounds were not full, the camp host said we could take any site with no reservation sign on it, so we took site #42 Loop B and loved it! It was more secluded and still close to the restrooms. The restrooms were clean and even hand hand soap and paper towels! We walked by the yurts, will definitely have to book those next time!

Quiet and Beautiful, up in the forest!

Coho Campground sits on the Wynoochee Lake at the Wynoochee Dam. Lush forest, tall trees, and moss make this place so beautiful and a magical campground for kids to play in! Campsites are private and shady. In spring, piles of wood are stacked in piles all over, from those which fell in winter. The lake has a great day use area and the campground also has yurts, with a lake view.