About Heart O The Hills - Olympic National Park

Located in old growth forest, this is the closest park campground to Hurricane Ridge and Port Angeles.  It has over 100 sites.

National Park Service
Hike In
No Market
Heart O The Hills - Olympic National Park is located in Olympic National Park in Washington
Directions
Take the road to Hurricane Ridge; the campground is on the left just after the Heart o' the Hills entrance station.
12 Reviews of Heart O The Hills - Olympic National Park
Great location

We were able to find several options at this first-come, first-serve campground on July 4 this summer. The sites are fairly close together but our neighbors were quiet. It was a short walk between sites to reach the bathhouse and water spigots. Overall very clean and nice campground.

Absolutely wonderful

Unfortunately, I only got to stay here one night, but I would definitely have liked to stay longer. I arrived pretty late the Friday before Labor Day, and had no problems finding a site. The atmosphere was beautiful, the bathrooms were clean, and it has a great location for seeing the sites of Port Angeles and Hurricane Ridge.

The campsite is perfect for everyone in the heart of Olympic National Park

The campsite has different sections and all of them have restroom, water, fire pit ready, and picnic table. It is easy to accessible and it is perfect for people with disabilities.  You can set up with tent or hammock. It has many tress around! My friends and I stayed there for a weekend. Unfortunately it was raining one day but it has other different activities at Olympic National Park. You can go to the top of mountain and see the beautiful Mountain View. It has a lodge there and trails. Some of they are accessible which is great! There is also other place that you can go to Lake crescent. That place is unbelievable and beautiful lake! It has lodge with cabins plus restaurant and gift shop. Not only that, it has water activities too! And other part of Olympic National Park is Ruby Beach and beaches are so beautiful and it is worth trip to check these places!

Beautiful forest setting at the gateway to Hurricane Ridge

Camped here as a base for visiting Hurricane Ridge/Lake Crescent. The campground is 100% first-come-first-served so since it was July, we decided to head up early Friday morning to play it safe. We arrived around 9am and there were a decent amount of sites to choose from. The first thing I noticed was that a majority of the sites here are really small and many don't have much privacy. We lucked out and found a site with a decent amount of privacy but was still small. Since we just had one tent on this trip it worked out okay, but keep in mind that most sites won't accomodate more than one tent, or two smallish tents. The bathrooms were standard flush and were very well maintained. Based on old photos it looked like firewood used to be available for purchase in the campground, but it was not available on our trip so we bought some at a store in Port Angeles down the road. There is not a whole lot to see in the vicinity of the campground (other than a nature trail through the forest), but Hurricane Ridge is only about 20 minutes up the road, and Lake Crescent is about 40 minutes away, both of which were the main highlights of my trip. Overall I enjoyed camping here and could not get enough of the old growth forest.

Hurricane Ridge

This site is phenomenal. I visited it in June and there was still a ton of snow on the ground. Plenty of well marked trails and great areas to explore. There is a ski lodge that wasn't operating at the time I visited and a great visitor center with very clean facilities and a gift shop. This area had the most beautiful views you could imagine of all the mountain tops in the area. I highly recommend you visit.

Beautiful campground

A must do for Olympic national park. Cold at night because of elevation and be sure to have a rain fly, but you're surrounded by magnificent old growth trees. Head up to the lookout and take a short walk about to see marvelous view of the north cascades and Victoria on a clear day.

Camping near Amazing Views

Nice campground close to Hurricane Ridge which is really what makes this campground rock!! Only been during the week and it was easy to secure a first come, first serve site. Flush toilets, water available. $20/night. Always a nice overnight if I want to head out to Hurricane ridge and not drive back to the city.

Nice (smallish) tent sites

Nice sites. Fairly level and not too rocky. We had enough room for our two 2-man tents, but not much more. Many of the sites are small, but there are also bigger ones which were already taken. Each site has a picnic table. In mid-August, on a Saturday, we were able to get a site at 1pm and there were plenty of small sites left. It did fill up by the end of the day though. I didn't see any bear-bins, so I think they expect that you have a car to put food in. They do have a dishwashing area at each bathroom, which was nice. Good location on the way up to Hurricane Ridge, which is definitely worthwhile!

great location

We have stayed here many times. This campground has everything you need for a nice getaway. The sites are somewhat private, the bathrooms are sufficient, and there are trails to explore close by. The campground IS in the National Park, so make sure you have your Access Park Pass or you must pay the entrance fee to the park. Also keep in mind that National Park rules apply to dogs. So you will want to keep your pet leashed at all times, or risk a hefty fine.

Awesome sites

Great location nestled into huge trees which makes your sites very secluded. Excellent for a tent, might be a bit small for anything else Very close to some excellent hikes and great views.

No shower, simple toilet and potable water. You do have a fire ring and concrete table.