Mapleton, UTAH

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Mapleton Camping Reviews
Primitive, but not

I like that this locations feels primitive, but isn’t far from civilization. We went in March and it was a little cold, but we setup the trailer and the heater worked great. There are several dispersed areas around for the weekends when this place is probably crowded.

Great for OHV

Great for OHV. That’s about it. Not the best place to camp. You can stay for 14 days for free. Outhouses are spread throughout.

Great place for a lot of activities

This campground has 3 loops. 1 for tents, 1 for medium size trailers. 1 for large trailers. Check the website or call the guard station before booking to double check. It's close to 2 reservoirs, tons of dirt bike and side by side trails, and Heber city. There's also a few group sites with pavilions. We've stayed here multiple times in tent, RV, and group sites. Medium shade, but the bathrooms and showers are nice.

Beware of the Bull Moose!

Stayed here for 1 night.  We were up early, at the crack of dawn.  As we prepared to break down the tent, a HUGE bull moose wandered out of the woods, looked around, then walked by my camping spot & the one right next to mine.  I was sitting in my car, putting my sleeping bag inside, so my photo did not come out very well.

The camp site was amazing!  Slept very soundly.  They sky at night was amazing!

Photos forthcoming!

Little shade at the group site

Many individual sites have great shade front the trees. However, the group site has little. Also, at the time I camped, the water fill station was contaminated, so you had to pack in all you water. There is no nearby dump station. However, their are a lot of great things about this campground. The nearby river is great, and we had a lot of deer we saw nearby.

Wonderful place!

Would have like to have stayed a few extra days Clean quiet Rv Park nice pull through sites! Facilities were clean and secure nice large dog run for real dogs not little foo foo pups

Beautiful campground

This campground is beautiful. It is small and next to a little river. Has lots of spots for rvs and ttent camping. Camp hosts are great.

Dispersed camping at Fifth Water Hot Springs Trailhead

We camped at this trailhead while attempting to hike to the Fifth Water Hot Springs. Due to fire activity, the original trailhead was closed so we camped at the "back way" trailhead. There were signs indicating that dispersed camping was allowed in areas designated by a fire ring. Found one near the trailhead parking. Not many flat places for a tent and there was cow manure all over the ground, so not many options for places to put our tent. The "fire-pit" was also filled in with rocks, thinking this may have been related to the nearby forest fires. May have better luck at the other trailhead in the future.

Trail Runners Paradise

Millcreek Canyon is home to some wonderful trails that can be accessed by foot or bike. Although the canyon offers many hiking trails, the main use of the trails seems to be for trail running. There is a toll per vehicle to enter the canyon, but this can definitely be worth it because this is one of the only canyons that allows dogs!

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak Apparel at Mineral Basin Dispersed

Campground Review: Mineral Basin is located in the Wasatch Mountains to the East of Salt Lake City. If you have ever skied Snowbird, this camping area is the same as the backside and keep going down. This area is beautiful and primitive camping. Resulting in two major points: It is free and in order to keep it nice, please pack out what you pack in!! We accessed this area via the east side and Wasatch State Park and Midway, UT. It is a long dirt road which is relatively maintained. There is a lot of side by side activity on these roads so some of the corners have been banked/rutted out but a non-lowered vehicle should be able to navigate the roads with only a few bottom scrapes.(If you want to drive a bit higher into Mineral Basin than our campsite, a high clearance or off-road vehicle is required). We have seen tents as well as trailers camping in this area(as long as you are comfortable pulling your trailer on unpaved mountain roads). The campsite we chose was off a small spur road which offered privacy and was along a small stream. The flowing water provided some great ambiance and white noise while we slept. As with other primitive camping, there is nothing here with regards to amenities with the exception of an established fire ring. Our site did have a nice flat spot dug out but that may not be the case for all the spots. We brought everything we needed for a one-night excursion and couldn't have had a better time. There are some hiking trails nearby (Pittsburgh Lakes trailhead was just a little farther up the road from us) and lots of open space for my husband to run the dog out by chasing his RC car. We visited in September before the leaves started to change, but fall would be a beautiful time to camp, but be prepared for cold once the sun goes down. Overall, this is my type of camping--primitive and isolated to enjoy being outside.

Gear Review: Banner & Oak Apparel and Hats

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, I get the awesome opportunity to test out gear once in a while. While I was in Mineral Basin, I had the chance to try out a shirt as well as a hat from Banner and Oak. Being a busty female, I am always hesitant to purchase female cut clothing online as sizing is so inconsistent I can never be sure of it fitting. However, I was very surprised (and pleased) to have the Coyote - Indigo shirt not only fit but was comfortable. The female cut with shorter sleeves and contoured sides made me feel like I was wearing a comfy tee without the boxy feel. The material is a soft jersey blend which didn't shrink when washed. I think this is going to be my go-to shirt for everyday summer wear as well as my outdoor adventures. I also purchased a few hats. Because I was not too excited about the ladies hats (the only design I liked was in pink and I am not a pink kinda gal), I purchased the men's Bighorn - Khaki for myself and the Switchback - Gray for my husband. The Bighorn  has a curved brim which the Switchback is a flat brim. Both have adjustable mesh backs but if you tighten it too much it will look a little funny. These are definitely men's hats as they crown is taller but I didn't mind it. The construction of these hats is very sturdy--the crown is solid and won't become misshapen if it is caught in the rain (or left out for morning dew like mine was). I also liked the color scheme which as earthy and outdoorsy--definitely that go-to hat for outdoor adventures. The only negative I found is the brim inside will need to be worn in a little as the build it rigid and the fabric is a little scratchy as it is more of a canvas material. Overall, Banner and Oak has created a great line of products which are fashionable, comfortable, and most importantly durable to keep up with the outdoor enthusiast.