About Bastrop State Park
No WiFi
Bastrop State Park is located in Texas
23 Reviews of Bastrop State Park
Disappointed

I’ve lived in Austin for over 20 years and camped at a lot of state parks in that time.  I’ve never camped here because it’s so close to my house I never bothered. I ended up booking because all my favorite parks were already booked up. The best part of my stay was the clean bathrooms and full hook ups. My site was very small and full of stickers. Everytime the dogs went out to pee they tracked in stickers. I must have pulled 25 or more out of my feet and theirs! Absolutely no trees for shade either so aside from hiking a few trails, we were banished inside the RV. The map had shown some bikes trails but I found out they were from the old golf course and fires had wiped out all the trees. This was all just very depressing.  In my opinion, this park is only good for an occasional overnight stay on your way somewhere else.

Also, the best campsites by the creek were all closed.

One of our favorite places

We have camped here in tents, pop up trailer, and hybrid travel trailer. We have been here with family, scouts, and just us. The park has fire damage in 2011 but there are still lots of trees and new bathrooms in Copperas Cove section. Great hiking. Pool is YMCA owned so pay per use or bring your Y membership cards. Traffic noise may be better now that Hwy 71 construction is completed. Easy access to HWY 21 and 71.

State park in the middle of a town

We didn’t camp here since we live so close by, but stopped on our way to Lake Somerville State Park. Driving by the camp sites they appeared nice and tucked between some (remaining) tall pine trees; you could definitely see your neighbor though. This park endured a huge forest fire about 9-10 years ago and you can still tell. Lots of charred and dead trees, but some new growth coming up underneath. We drove to the highest point and took a picture. That was about all we needed. Sort of underwhelming, but quaint.

Campsites are nice

This park has an urban feel. It is literally in the middle of a small town. The campsites were nice. I think $14 a night. We camped at the end of December, so it was nice and cold. We actually drove to the buckees gas station to use the restroom. I think it took 5 minutes exactly to drive from our campsite to buckees. Overall, really neat to be able to explore the city and nature in such a small vicinity. Also, the movie Prince Avalanche was filmed here, so definitely see the movie then go to this park.

Like a Phoenix

A fire and flood can’t keep this park down. A fire took out much of the greenery and a flood took out a bridge, but it’s still a good old favorite for locals to go hike at.

Want to ride our bike? Perfect because this park has an 11 mile back road to another state park! Had a lot of hills so perfect for someone who doesn’t want a boring flat trail.

Greenery is slowly coming back but seeing the burned forest also has its beauty. Reminder of how it can all Be gone in a flash.

I have not camped here because it’s so close to home but I have hiked several times.

Good local campsite

Good facilities at this site. The restrooms and showers are first rate. We stayed here just one night. The front office and check in process is excellent. The campsites have water and ample shade. Not much to see in this camp but good as a stopover or local weekend camping. It’s close to Austin Texas about 25 minutes. The have some good moderate hiking trails and some interesting historical sites. The have a children’s playground and a nice swimming pool. The trees here are being replanted and restored. The views are not the greatest and some of the sites are near a highway.

Almost reminds me of Utah, beautiful, hot and dry in the summer

Camped here two nights. The facilities are amazing. Bathrooms have had a lot of money spent on them, with hot showers and full plumbing. The camp sites are well maintained and the hiking trails are nice. Visited during the middle of summer, so it was very hot, sunny, and dry. Bring sun screen and plenty of water!

Great family time

Had a great time camping and geocaching with the boys! Out hour trek turned into nearly 4, glad my kids were happy to keep going to the next cache.

Great for all!

Bastrop would be a great place for youth groups or family reunions. It has a little for everyone and is conveniently located about thirty minutes from Lockhart where you can get, in my opinion, some of the best BBQ in Texas. This state park has tent, group, RV, group cabin w/ barracks, cabins (some are wheelchair accessible), and a dining hall (also wheelchair accessible).

There is a swimming pool that is run by the local YMCA that is open during the summer, plus a huge playground that has disability swing set, which makes this park a 5 STAR for me. Some of the building were burned down in a fire six years ago and have since been replaced, so the bathroom and other facilities are brand spankin new!

There are some great fishing spots along with some of my favorite hiking trails. My favorite trail is the scenic overlook trail which starts at the top of the lookout and travels 2 miles down through wildflowers and over streams. It is a shorter trail, but it is a more challenging one. Some of the longer trails have been closed since the fire and flood, but you can connect a few of the others to make for one good one. Everything is so colorful here.

The walk-in tent sites are some of my favorites. The have a wonderful look and feel to them. Very scenic and off on their own away from noise from other campers. Also don’t forget to take the 12 mile scenic drive over to Buesher State park, it is well worth it!

very clean

I like the trees and shade available, very woodsy