the dyrt
Arcadia, SOUTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Arcadia Camping Reviews
Clean and well maintained campground.

Sites are close together, however there are lots of activities for the kids.

Full hook ups available, some with cable. The stream and lake are beautiful. Next time I will reserve a spot near the lake.

Nice Campground

We stayed here over the summer and really enjoyed it. It is prime location to downtown chimney rock and lake lure beach/water park. The staff was very nice and accommodating. We had a site that was covered and that was nice to have. We were right on the river so the sound was serene and sight was beautiful. Definitely plan on returning again for another trip.

Wonderful Campground

This is a very beautiful campground. Sites are very well kept and clean. Bathrooms were very clean and nice. The staff was amazing and helpful. Prime location to so many amazing places. The pool was nice and clean! Will def. camp here again.

The Little Gem Where the Blacktop Ends

Just a stone’s throw from the bustle of Asheville, yet secluded enough to forget it all, this little gem is conveniently located at the entrance to Pisgah National Forest.

I went camping here on November 2nd, just after half of the campground closes for the off season. Usually starting at $22 per night, after November 1st the prices get cut in half, so I stayed for $11 (hard to beat)! To pay you fill out a permit envelope, tear off the receipt, include your payment and insert it into a mailbox of sorts. Make sure to bring a writing utensil (I forgot one, but luckily my neighbors let me borrow theirs). You then simply place the receipt portion in the provided zip-lock bag on the number post in front of your site. Check-out time is noon.

Each site comes with a gravel platform for your tent, picnic table, bear box, and a fire pit with a grill top. I opted to set up my backpacking tent in the bed of my pickup, but the site was very clean and well maintained. The host made rounds in the evening and the following morning, and was very approachable and informative, and even gave out weather predictions for the coming days to those who asked. The bathroom facilities may be limited in the off-season due to being unheated, but they were open during my stay, and shower facilities are available during the regular season.

I had a blast enjoying the peace and serenity of the woods, smelling the autumn spice of decaying leaves and campfires, and listening to the babbling river that runs through the center of campground. The other occupants were quite mellow, with no unwanted noise or partying (not that it would be a deal breaker, everyone camps a little differently). In the morning I took a stroll through the recreation area and got to see the group sites; everything was pristine and gorgeous in the gleaming yellow sunlight. My pooch also enjoyed the area, and I was grateful for the free bags to pick up after her.

I would recommend this little spot to anyone looking for a quick getaway from the traffic and humdrum of the nearby townships, as well as visitors to the park. Hiking trails, fishing and hunting opportunities, and scenic waterfalls are all nearby, making the location prime. A big chain grocer is also just a 10 minute drive up the road, making it easy to grab last minute items you may have forgotten. I look forward to returning!

Fun Little Trail

This trail was lots of fun! My friend and I decided to go here on a whim and it didn’t disappoint. There are lots of features to this camp and the surrounding trails such as waterfalls, rock outcroppings, cable crossings, and access to Caesar’s Head trails. My favorite thing about the boy/Girl Scout campsites was that it was along a river and was very large. It would be a great campsite for those who have a big group or just like the space. The only thing I didn’t like about the campsites was that it was visible from the trail so offered little privacy from hikers or fellow campers. My word of advice is to not take dogs that can’t swim across the river; we saw a few couples who struggled to carry their pooches across the cable.

Worth it just for the view

I live roughly 10 minutes from Table Rock and go there all the time especially during the summer. The Table Rock trail is a must if you are nearby! It is pretty strenuous especially if you have health issues but is well worth the trek to the top. Just make sure that if you hike during the winter to give yourself plenty of time to finish the trail and to wear good trail shoes since ice can be expected. The campsites are always very well kept; as is the park in general but gets pretty crowded.

very pretty cg on a pristine river (great trout fishing), convenient to gas

very nice cg, convenient to gas/grocery. a pristine river runs thru it,

with excellent trout fishing. very helpful host, campsites afford privacy (most).

Backwoods camping and nice trails

Paris mountain is a personal favorite of mine and take any chance to go. This is a great dog friendly park with clean trails, plenty of parking, and friendly staff. Now is the time to go as it is less crowded and and the leaves are changing color.

Very Secluded

I absolutely love this campground! It’s a bit of a longer hike to get to the primitive campsites but is worth its since it’s along a river for the most part and the sites are not that close to each other either. I haven’t seen many people camping during the winter months, although during the summer and fall it gets booked quickly. But make sure to call ahead of time because every time that we have called short notice they have been closed or booked. Nearby the visitor center are the bathrooms and fish hatchery (all of which are kept very clean).

Hidden Gem

This place is wonderful! My friend and I hiked the Raven Cliff Falls loop trail a while back and have added it to our list of top 10 favorite trails. I was really bummed about the removal of the cable crossing, but still loved the trail due to climbing ladders and walking along The Cathedral! I strongly suggest wearing waterproof hiking boots/trail runners as there is lots of water on the trail and because the Dismal Trail is a steep climb to the lookout.

Catawba Camping

The sites in this family campground are right on top of each other, so you will not have privacy! The bathhouse was not good, and pretty far away, and there was only one for the entire property. They have some cabins and a tiny house that you can rent, those looked cool. The owner is super nice, and the sites are right on the creek, so you hear the running water all night so that is really nice, and you are close to Black Mountain, Montreat, and not too far from Asheville.

Favorite Spot

There are so many campsite available through Jocassee. Currently my favorite campsites lie off of the Canebrake Trail and connect with the Foothills Trail. My family and I mainly hike to the first-come-first-serve campsites but there are also a lot of boaters tying off at the shoreline. It features two bridges and a waterfall/river. The reservable campsites right across from the concession building on the other side of the lake are also well kept and are considered drive-in which is useful if you plan to stay only a few days, but they are too close to one another for my taste. I would recommend reserving campsites plenty of time ahead as it gets filled up quickly, especially on holidays and during the summer.

Fairly clean with great water

I randomly stumbled across this camp recently. It is a Christian retreat that holds religious summer camps as well as boy/girl scouts retreats. As for hiking trails there’s a few within the camp some including caves, waterfalls, and river cable crossings. My favorite part about this location is that you can access Ceaser’s head state park from the Asbury Hills camp.

Great for families

Variety of campsites available to suit any camping style. Great for families, as there are drive up camp sites with fire pits and plenty of space, and spread out so it still feels like you have privacy. Lots of great hikes.

Quiet and pleasant place to camp

We love this State park and campground. We go there for day picnics, hiking, group activities, or just a family cook out. The campground is very peaceful and quiet.

Away from the crowds at Crowder Mountain!

Crowder Mountain State Park is indeed a perfect place for day use--but in contrary to what some previous reviewers mentioned, it is also a neat place to camp if you don't mind a one mile hike in to the campground. See the camping info here:

It isnt a rugged hike, but you must be prepapred to pack everything in. The part of the park that is best to go to is the Sparrow Springs access, some folks may not be aware that there are actually several entrances to the park, and the main entrance with trails to the Crowder Mountain overlook is NOT what you want, that is indeed only a day use area. See park map here: https://files.nc.gov/ncparks/maps-and-brochures/crowders-mountain-park-map_0.pdf

If you start off in other areas of the park you would have a much longer backpack into the camping area but it is still do-able. But Sparrow Springs is the best and easiest way to go.

The campsites are located off the Pinnacle Trail, and there are actually two campgrounds, one with large group sites, and one with individual and family campsites. See campsite map here: https://files.nc.gov/ncparks/maps-and-brochures/crowders-mountain-campground-map.pdf

It is well worth the hike in for a terrific rustic camping experience!

Note: there is also a driveable gravel road that is not open for the general public to drive on, but staff can, and those with permission to access the handicapped accessible campsites at the group camp can also get permission to drive to the top. Note however, that the handicapped accessible campsites are still tent only sites, and the accessible toilet is still a pit toilet!

Loved the stay!

This camping experience was a little different than the normal camping experience. We stayed in a cabin, and it was perfect. We had been traveling in SC for 2 weeks, camping in tents so this was a pleasant surprise by my parents. We actually got to sleep in beds, which was amazing. These cabins were great, and perfect size for my family of 5. There were bunk beds, all you needed were sleeping bags and pillows. Small little kitchen, and area to sit and bathroom. It felt great to shower! There were hikes nearby and we also did some biking which was a blast. The weather was perfect, and we enjoyed our stay. There was a cute little burger joint down the road that was amazing! Highly recommend. There was also a small lake nearby, although we did not go here because we only stayed for 2 days and wanted to get as much hiking and biking in as we could. Tons of fun, and highly recommend staying in the cabins!

Great Hiking And Day Use

I saw state park and was excited about the potential of another great site in North Carolina. I was not disappointed in that it offered amazing hiking. But signs clearly depicted it to be a day use only facility which was a little bit of a bummer.

I spent the afternoon hiking on a trail which was marked moderate but I’d honestly say was more strenuous. Lots of people come to do the Tower hike here!!

When I pulled out I saw even more signs just further reminding me of the day use …. for camping it’s a 1 (which is what matters on this site) however for the activities it is a 4. I found it to be a good compromise to give it a 3 overall because I did like the site, just wish it had organized camping because limited information was available about permits for potential back country camping like I had seen on here.

Charming Campground

Following highways signs looking for this campground I didn’t know what to expect. I was hoping for a tent site but wasn’t sure what I would find. In this area I had seen many RV parka but few tent site areas so I was pleased to pull up and see tents!

When I went into the office I was greeted by a very pleasant woman who gave me a map and told me a bit about the camp, which included a nice restroom/laundry and pool area (seasonally open).

They also offered WiFi and hiking trails right in the camping facility which was right up my alley!!

I arrived just before the end of the summer season so everything was up and running and it was perfect! The camp offers a small camp store and is also relatively close to other stores in neighboring town.

TIPS:

• Opt for a spot a little further away from the office, it is quieter and closer to trails.

• Drive slowly on the way out to the campsite, not just on the gravel road but on the main road, there are several patrols right before the turn off which use the hill area for a good hiding spot because the hill causes you to speed if you are a bit heavy. BE MINDFUL!

A top favorite

I seem to always believe my most recent adventure is my most favorite but no where in the upstate of SC has stood out to me like this area. Wonderful trails with breath taking views and technical climbs plus discrete camping. It’s a trip I recommend to all of my camping and hiking friends and Im already looking towards my next trip there!

A wonder for nature lovers

I adored this area for its flora and fauna. As a wildlife enthusiast I was impressed with the amount of frogs, fish, salamanders, birds, and rabbits I saw in such a short amount of time. I arrived shortly after heavy rain which helped my herping odds. The trails were nice and clean and they few staff members I spoke to where incredibly helpful.

Enjoyable and secluded

My only complaint was that the grounds could have been cleaner but I’m sure part of the blame is on the poor weathers we have been having for the past few weeks. Fortunately for us the poor weather also scared off fellow campers so we ended up being the only ones in sight.

Excellent Destination

Table Rock SP offers many camp sites, to include trailer, tent and cabins. The trailer sites are far enough apart that you don't feel like you're on top of your neighbors, but still make good use of a small space to keep from encroaching on the rest of the park. Each trailer site has water and electricity connections and there is a comfort station with toilets and hot showers.

The fee was reasonable for a popular place like this and reservations are definitely needed during peak seasons. I went during the off season so there weren't too many others out with me. The campground as a whole is clean and well-maintained.

South Carolina SPs currently have a ban on bringing in firewood, forcing me to buy some at the camp store, leading to my only criticism: The wood was still very green and required significant work to get lit and constant attention to keep burning.

Overall, though, it was a great experience and I plan on going back many times to check out the other trails and activities in the area.

New Campground

Pool is amazing. Tons of stuff for the kids to do.

Awesome place

While it is close to a highway it is far enough away not to hear it but convenient to many places to visit including Asheville, The Blue Ridge Parkway and many national Forests and Parks. It is situated on a small river which makes a wonderful backdrop noise to the experience and your sleep. A short not overly strenuous hike to beautiful Catawba Falls to enjoy the beauty of the North Carolina mountains. The staff is helpful and the facilities are more than adequate. Highly recommend this campsite

Brand new campground

This is an awesome place to stay with your family. Very family oriented.

Peaceful and beautiful

We loved our stay at this campground. It was one that once we got settled we wished we were staying longer! The road through the park back to the campground is pretty narrow at some points - we don't know how we would have managed if we had met another RV! We have a 31' Class A and we managed fine, but I did hear some people with larger trailers having a harder time. We were in Site 31 and were able to get level with no issues. The park has a lot of trails and scenery and is a great place for riding a bike. All in all, pretty campground that is super peaceful! The staff were all very helpful and the bathrooms were clean too. I would definitely return to this great spot!

Laid back

It's nice and lake veiw

Wonderful camping and hiking

Late last year was my first time here. Cabins and campsites are nice and the hike to the top of the mountain is beautiful and technical. As someone who likes more primitive areas and obscure trails- table rock is a little to congested for me. You must plan your adventure carefully to avoid crowds.

Great for equestrians

Spent many weeks here over the past few years. Its a clean and well maintained park with beautiful trails and lake. Perfect for equestrian as most of the trails are horse friendly and there is a large arena free to use. The barn is clean as well and provides stall shavings for a small fee.