Ashley, PENNSYLVANIA

Most Recent Ashley Camping Reviews
Great spot

Great location lots of hiking trails right in the park and many more close by

Hiking Hotspot

Stayed here 3 days and 2 autumn nights. Our site was nice, though not very defined as far perimeters. We were in the horseshoe row housing a few 5th wheels and small travel trailers in one corner. We were one of the smaller travel trailer in the corner. Nice and no real complaints aside from not being super scenic.

Bathhouse was newly remodeled and very nice. A lot of amenities scattered throughout the campground to check out. The highlight of the campground is the River of Rocks. It truly is a surreal sight. Kids had fun exploring. The campground is a few minutes from a AT trailhead.

If we stayed here again, we tried to get a more scenic site along the creek or nestled in the woods a bit more.  Overall a great experience.

Gorgeous lake and camping

Scenic state park with a lake. You can swim in the lake in the summer or do a 5-mile hike around the lake along well-marked walk paths. There are at least two parking lots(no parking fees). Both are easily accessible from State Route 423. One is by the lake spillway), which is very picturesque with the cascading water. This area would be an ideal spot to start the hike. The hike should last 1.5 to 2 hours for the average person. Spray some insect repellent before you start. The other parking lot is near the beachwhich is obviously where you'd want to park if you're planning to swim. The beach area is part of the hiking trail so you can easily start a hike before or after you take a dip. There are shower facilities near the beach. Swimming is at your own risk since there are no life guards around.

Beautifully taken care of State Park!

This is a beautifully taken care of State Park. Great sites, clean bathhouses, friendly camp hosts, rangers helpful and friendly, special treat of bear passing on nearby road, peaceful and well kept up trails.Dog friendly too. We enjoyed kayaking, hiking, biking and just enjoying the peace around the park. Plenty of areas to kayak. Two beaches and nice picnic areas. Walking and biking trails too. Rental for canoes, row boats and kayaks. Just be aware weekend rentals for kayaks are limited. Campsites and clean facilities.ignage was everywhere and water for filling up and two dumping stations near campground.It was our first state park and we came home and booked another trip in 2 weeks we had such a great time.After doing regular campgrounds the atmosphere of the state park is our#1 favorite now!

Everything you need for family fun

Love it!!Our favorite family campground! We've tried to camp at least one weekend a month from spring through fall and try different places,but we always come back to Mountain Vista! The staff is friendly and helpful and they have a ton of great activities from kids carnival, craft beer tastings,farmers market, bingo…the list goes on!Their pool and kiddie splash pad is well kept as are the rest of the facilities. We did the gas saver program for the second time this June and invited lots of friends and family up and everyone had a blast! Lots of great memories made! Also, very pet friendly! We'll be back!

Gorgeous campsites along the water

I spent the night in the Promised Land State Park at Pickerel Point and it was so pretty and quiet. There was a bathroom with flush toilets nearby and the campsites were well spaced apart. Mine overlooked the water and had a gorgeous sunset. There was a beach nearby that was an excellent place to gaze at the stars. Loved it!

Gorgeous location with generous sites !

We camped here in almost mid October this year. Our first time in a NJ state park. The tent camping area was right along the river, some sites with direct access, some you'd have to walk a little more to the larger access areas. Our site, 15, had a direct path right down where you could be on the river. It was also very close to the bathroom/shower without actually being close enough that people bothered you, rarely even heard folks going to the restrooms. The camp site was level, huge, good table and had a lantern hook, too. Plenty of places for tent and shelter, plus tons more space. The bathrooms got the job done. Nothing fancy, but had hot water showers, large shower rooms and enough bathrooms as well. Biggest extra was a dishwashing sink which felt amazing after a summer of camping far from water and all the drama that entails. Its a "dry" campground, but I know for sure the sites around us did not follow that rule. No electric, or water at each site, just at the bathrooms. There's so much outdoor stuff to do in this area that honestly I'd go back a ton of times if I could. Hiking, fishing, Lakota Wolf Preserve, Pennsylvania…the list goes on. 100% recommend this area for camping!

Quiet on the Susquehanna.

Riverside Acres is a modest sized campground in a great.spot. The river in front of first row sites is 200 m broad. Eagles fish here. You can too. Good beginning or end for a canoe trip.

Resident owner is easy to get along with as long as you respect the grounds. She has a wealth of knowledge of the area.

Good tentable spaces on river. Second row has water/electric, shade trees and lawn frontage. Pavilion has tables, a braizer, and one electric outlet. Lawn big enough to play your sport. Inland row has sewer hook ups and the bath house. Facility is an effective combination of old and new, and hot water is plentiful.

If you paddle in, come prepared for comfortable isolation. If you have wheels, anything can be bought with a run into Wyalusing, or Towanda.

When I have been there, if your night life requires things, you should bring your own. Like a chair to watch the moon on the river.

Waterfalls!!

The biggest draw to this state park (which no one in Pennsylvania I spoke with seemed to know about) is the 22 waterfalls! We saw 18 of them on a four-mile moderate hike, but if you want to see the additional four, you could make it a seven-mile hike. The trails are very well marked.

We stayed in the large loop, which is a peninsula on Lake Jean. Many of the sites have lake views. The bathhouse was clean but not adequate for 73 sites. The campground was about ¾ full and there was often a wait in the bathroom. Showers looked reasonable but I did not use them.

There were many tent campers in this loop, which does not allow pets (the other, smaller loop does allow pets). There are no hookups at all in the park. The water had been tested earlier in the season and unsafe levels of manganese were detected. All water spigots were shut off and covered but we were told it was safe to wash our dishes and brush our teeth. However, the water for the dishwashing sink was turned off as well as the water in the restroom at the trailhead. Since we had a reservation, we received a phone call in advance of our stay letting us know about this.

There are trails to the beach, but we woke to rain the next morning, so we did not explore this.

One trash/recycle area a distance away from the campsites which seems typical for PA state parks. Alcohol is strictly forbidden– we were warned that if a ranger saw any alcohol outside of our vehicle, we would be cited. Quiet hours are 9 pm– 8 am, which is more restrictive than other state parks, however, some did not observe these quiet hours (a guitar-playing singing camper thought he was talented, but I disagree!)

Lots to do here

This campground felt huge and was totally packed for Memorial Day weekend. The bathrooms were fine but definitely got crowded and dirty (it rained off and on so lots of mud tracking). The sites are nice but pretty close together. Overall it was a good experience considering that it was a busy holiday weekend with some rainy weather.

There are lots of things to do when staying here. We took an awesome hike down to the waterfall, fished at the lake, played on the playground, swam at the beach, and visited the boulder field.

The camp store is just incredible! You could get lost for hours in there!

Our favorite campground in the area

We stay at Pickerel Point and Deerfield depending on season. No complaints and was pleasantly surprised they have programs for kids. Can never go wrong here.

A campground not a resort .

A great place to camp for a good nature experience . There are trails that lead from the campground to many miles of wilderness hiking in the federal park and state forests . The Lakota Wolf Preserve is a must see while there and hearing the wolves howl at night while you are out at the fire is really cool . There are a lot of bears roaming the woods in this part of NJ so keep your coolers in the car and garbage in the trash cans . For hiking and a great outdoor and camping in the woods experience check this place out .

Love this area!

We were only able to stay 3 days. We will return!!! Such a nice setting. We could hear the river rapids from our campfire. The visitor center ranger, Al, was exceptional!!! There’s so much to do in the area.

Decent campground in a wonderful location

On the surface the campground is average. The secret it packs is the great town in which it shares it's name. You are 5 minutes from the wonderful town of Jim Thrope. Can't say the campground offers too much other than the basic campground experience. Though if coupled that with the opportunity to experience Jim Thrope, it sets the Jim Thrope Camping Resort apart.

My son, brother, and nephew tent camped. The tent sites are not very defined, level or rock free. Makes it fun searching for a good position within the site, kinda like roughing it in the actual wild… so not really a complaint. Sites are not very private or secluded. I could personally use a bit more privacy, not enough to be a deal breaker. Bathhouses are rougher, but usable and not dirty per se. Just rustic.

A major pro is access to the Switchback Trail from the campground. A wonderfully scenic trail.

Overall I would and plan on returning.

Great for Families

Worthington State forest is right on the Delaware river. It is a beautiful place to camp. You can hike up Douglas trail and sit near the Sunfish Pond. This campground is great for families but not for groups going out to drink alcohol. Alcohol and cigarettes/vapes are not allowed.

Awesome little campground

Love this place. Other than the way they book for the next season (it’s not at the time of your trip), this place is well kept. Very shaded sites. Have been going for years and will continue.

Camping

We went here September 13,14, and 15th. It was nice, we had electric and water at our site. The front office went out of their way to help you get settled in. The showed us 3 different site we could use, and brought firewood to our site 3 times. The bathrooms were in very good shape with plenty of showers. Everything you needed was here. Would go back again.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak at Knoebels Campground

Campground Review: Knoebels campground is very expansive and has sites named after various states and countries. For this trip we stayed at Bermuda site#6. The sites are very clean and come with a power hookup, picnic table, and fire ring. In addition to the campsites you have access to the campsite bathrooms which also have showers. They’re nothing special but they get the job done and are cleaned daily by staff. The campsites themselves are also honestly nothing special, they’re a little packed but surprisingly all of the campers are respectful and adhere to written quiet hours. What makes this place shine is its location. It’s nestled in the mountainside and just steps away from the main attraction, Knoebels Amusement Resort. This place is a throwback and hits all of the right notes. On the weekends you pay per ride, they have wooden roller coasters which consistently rank as the top in the country. There’s also a carousel that dates back 100 years, on the carousel if you ride on the outside they have brass rings that you can retrieve with the goal of collecting as many as you can. The food at the park is awesome and ranges from pizza to pierogis and everything in between. In addition to the rides they have a stream fed pool with water slides which was a great way to cool off on the hot days that we were there. The park itself is a 10/10 and a great place to make memories with your family. After a full day at the park it was great to get back to the campsite, make a fire, and crack a beer. I’ll be coming here with family for years to come.

Product Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. On this particular trip I tested the Home Free Hat by Banner& Oak. Banner & Oak is very much a brand committed to being environmentally conscious, celebrates the outdoors, and puts out stellar products.  Full disclosure: I have a monster collection of hats and this hat rates near the top in terms of construction and aesthetic. The Home Free gets a 5/5 in my books and will be a mainstay in my rotation.

For more information and to purchase one for yourself check out the hat at their website: https://bannerandoak.com/collections/hats/products/home-free-navy

Wonderful

The place is amazing. Perfect getaway and dog friendly. Definitely will come back

Nice Family Campground

Went up for Labor Day weekend. Nice campground. Lots of activities, but very crowded and right next to a very busy road. Great for a large family camping trip in the Poconos. Not so good for a quiet weekend getaway.

One of the BEST campgrounds I have ever been to!

My family and I just stayed here for a long weekend over the Labor Day holiday. Appalachian is one of the absolute best campgrounds I have ever stayed at. It’s extremely clean and very well organized. We started our trip Friday afternoon, we pulled into the campground and they had a table set up outside to “check in.” We did not wait in a mile long line to park and go into the office. There was no rv backup of people trying to get through. It was extremely quick and very efficient to just pull up to a table say our name and be given the map and directed to our site. The campground had numerous activities set up all throughout the day and there was something for everyone. I find that a lot of campground activities tend to be centered around small children and with my kids being 13 and 12, they’re usually left out of the fun. There was bingo, crafts, a vendor craft show, hot dog eating contest for adults and kids, candy scramble in the dark for adults and kids, a dj Saturday night and a live band Sunday night. The pool was open until 10pm everyday. This campground has free mini golf. You can borrow golf clubs but you do have to buy balls. The staff was friendly and very helpful. You could leave your trash at the end of your site everyday and it was picked up by the staff, you did not have make trips to a dumpster. An excellent little surprise for me was the farm truck they had drive around Saturday morning. I was able to buy fresh produce for our dinner and I never even left my campsite. So beware, have cash or you’ll be cranky you couldn’t buy enough like I was! The only negative thing I could possibly say would be our campsite was….awkward. We were unaware that our site was a buddy site. Now it was Labor Day weekend, the campground was completely full and we booked late. The site we got was the only one available for the size of our camper. The buddy site was very narrow and since our buddy arrived first we had no choice but to park farther down on the site to avoid our awnings touching and that left us very uneven. It was a hill and no matter how many times we adjusted, we just could not get leveled. So my advice would be to make sure you aren’t put on the buddy sites if at all possible. The row starting with 310 on the map is all buddy sites. We have already booked our next trip and made sure we were not on another buddy site. Now that I know this, we can avoid that one issue in the future. I enjoyed this campground so much that this will now be our go to campground when we want to stay close to home.

Amazing!!!

First time visiting Driftstone and we had an amazing time! Great people, lots of fun activities, clean facilities and beautiful views. We will be back again next year.

True Campground

Electric and water hookups, no sewer but there’s a dump station on the way out. Wooded and delightfully devoid of golf carts. Saw wild turkeys and deer in the morning. The wolf preserve at the same location was just amazing - we learned so much and could hear the wolves howl from the campsite. Hiked to Mt. Tammany from the campsite for the best view in NJ (9 miles round trip). Close to all the Pocono/Stroudsburg attractions - we shopped and toured the Frazetta museum. Will definitely stay there again.

Quiet and well kept

We stay at lake glory every year while visiting Knoebels.  It’s so much quieter than Knoebels campground and so much more room.  We love the creek side sites!  Kids can wade in the water to cool off while parents are chatting and cooking just few feet away.  We have never used the bus to head to the park - but it is one more nice thing they add to help make  your stay relaxing.  Book early….these sites fill fast!

Wonderful Family Campground

My daughter and I have made Camp Taylor our annual spot for the past 4-5 years and it just keeps getting better. Hiking to the Wolf Preserve, paddleboats, mini golf, swimming in the lake . . . There are so many things to do, and they keep all of the facilities updated and in great shape. Plus, unlike many other campgrounds we’ve been to, they are very good about actually enforcing the quiet hours at night, so you can have an actual peaceful and quiet night around the campfire.

Small, but busy

Went in April so it was still chilly. Camps sites are a bit close together, but still clean. Was busy even for that time of year, especially he tent sites. Can get a little noisy with how close you your neighbors can be, but not a bad experience overall.

Spcacious, clean , and friendly

Visted Mt.Pocono campground this weekend. The staff was friendly  throughout the weekend. The sites were spacious. The campgroung was very qiiet, and all of the facilities were very clean and well maintainined. The only downside was that my Sprint Cell servie was very good in this area. The campground was great!.

A little Strange

Decent campground, we had a large,fairly shaded, not to horribly out of level site. A lot of seasonal campers that were very nice people. Very nice camp store. There was just no wow factor, the bathrooms are old and showers are pay showers. The campground shares a property with a trailer park. To me, it was blah, all the planned activities were geared towards adults, not kids. Seems like a retirement campground.

Not that great

My family and I stayed at this campground for a week. Our campsite was very large and spacious with a lot of shade which was really nice. However the campsite was barely cleaned up from the last campers. There were bottle caps and nut shells throughout the entire campsite. The pool is awesome however it’s not open very late nor does the staff open it at 11 and I usually had to chase someone down to unlock it. Same for the game room, it was never opened unless I asked because “no one was there.” Well I was paying to camp so I would appreciate being able to use the amenities offered. Most of the office staff seemed annoyed every time I walked into the office for ice cream or some other necessity. And no, I never complained about the trash or the pool or the employees for them to have a reason to be annoyed with me. It just seemed to be the general attitude. The employees drove around the campground in golf carts all day doing various jobs and most of the time it seemed like they were practicing for a race. One of the golf carts backfired constantly and it sounded like a gunshot. We tried out this campground for a week in the hopes of finding somewhere to camp seasonally. Unfortunately this campground was not for us.

Secluded lake

Nice campground, friendly people, camp store and ice cream within walking distance. Lake is nice, smaller but perfect for families and water temp was great.