Gresham, OREGON

Most Recent Gresham Camping Reviews
Great hidden gem

Nice spots close to small river and off the road just enough. Awesome spot!

We had a blast! So green and beautiful. Not far from downtown. Lots of space/areas for our kids to run to climb big rocks. We will 100% be back.

Campground near Trout Lake/Guler Ice Caves

This campground boarders both sides of the Lost Creek (Dried up most of the time).  The sites are fairly large, but very open with little to no privacy.  I was in spot 10 and the entire spot was open up to the road, which is not my favorite.  Many of the other sites were open due to no small trees/brush.  There was also a very fine dust in the entire spot that can drive certain people nuts, especially ones with small dogs who turn into little clouds of dust!

There were a couple deer that roamed the campground and wondered in and out of campsites.  I had to shoo away 1 so he wouldn't stomp on my little dog while walking through my site.  It was cool seeing them up close though.  Also it was the start of a very good huckleberry season and the entire campground was full of huckleberry bushes.  I was able to gather several cups just from my camp spot alone.

While this isn't my favorite campsite, it was overall a good campground and if you are in the area I would recommend it.

Seems Remote

I have found this campground fills up less than tbe others in the area..so if your up here in high summer i would check here first.

It seems more remote than it really is so its nice and quiet..with a creek nearby.

Has a couple excellent sites and a bunch of mediocre ones that would do well for camper trucks

High Lake Campground near Mt. Hood

This campground is on the shores of Laurence Lake.  Almost all of the spots were right on the lake or close enough to have lake views.  It's a smaller campground and the spots are fairly open, so not as much privacy with the neighbors.  The spot I had was right off the boat launch and next to the path for the walk-in spots.  I was only there 1 night, but it would be a great place to camp if you wanted to play on the water, ie SUP or Kayak.  The road leading up to the campground was a bit rough in some areas that lower clearance vehicles would need to be careful on.  There is also no water, so you need to bring your own.  Would definitely recommend this campground.

Small, Quiet Campground close to Mt. Hood

This small campground is a great alternative to the busier campgrounds found near by.  It does not have the views of Mt. Hood like the pictures show, the views of Hood can be found at the day use area on the opposite side of the lake.  There is a great trail that goes all the way around the lake and offers plenty of little spots to stop and fish.  The spots were plenty large enough and had enough space between them to offer privacy from your neighbors.  If you are not able to book a spot in the busier campgrounds near by this is a great alternative.

Pretty Good close in campground

It's not bad at all, just right off of the highway.

Beautiful Campground with Huge Trees and Lots of Waterfalls

Since we had a wedding to attend in Oregon, it gave me a chance to visit Silver Falls State Park. My first impression was how crowded the campground was during the middle of the week. The bath house was more than I expected, especially for a state park. I don’t know whether or not the other Oregon State Parks have modern bath house facilities like this one, but I was impressed. The campsite that I chose was flat and had plenty of shade, and the trees were huge. As a lover of all things natural, especially trees, this was great. It hadn’t rained in a while, so I couldn’t judge how well the site would drain, especially since there were no raised tent pads. The main attraction for this large state park is obviously centered on waterfalls and trails. I didn’t get a chance to explore all of them, but the ones I did get to see were impressive. South Falls is a short hike, and you can walk behind it. From the bridge facing the waterfall, it looks like the Garden of Eden. You can also walk to the top of the waterfall. North Falls also is a short hike. Although it is not as high as South Falls, it is one that is worth the hike. The main campground areas were booked, but the group camping area had quite a few sites available the first day we were there. However, the next day, the group camping area was also filling up since it was getting closer to the weekend. Overall, I was impressed with this campground. Unfortunately, I probably will not get to visit it again for quite a while since I live 2,500 miles away. With that said, I do highly recommend this state park and campground.

Great Campground near Mt Hood

My husband and I camped here an evening in September. We couldn’t see Mt Hood due to cloud coverage but the lake itself was beautiful. There was a short trail from campground to the lake. Campground was fairly full but very quiet. Sights are fairly private and wooded. Our phones worked just fine here, as well.

Amazing campsite close to even more amazing trailheads

We stayed at a rainy day at this state park's camp, it was a good choice though. The campsites are really well maintained, it has clean bathrooms with showers (!) You can get firewood there and sites are not to dense so you get some privacy.

The best part about the campsite is that it's located in the middle of the statepark, there are plenty of trailheads around. We did the whole trail of ten falls - about 10 miles, and we definitely recommend it. The day-use area is also recommended. As it was raining the whole day, we really appreciated, that it was one of the rare places where we found covered grill area so we could prepare lunch here without getting wet.

All in all an A+++ location

Amazing campsite close to even more amazing trailheads

We stayed at a rainy day at this state parks camp, it was a good choice though. The campsites are really well maintained, it has clean bathrooms with showers (!) You can get firewood there and sites are not to dense so you get some privacy.

All in all an A+++ location

Suprised

When we pulled in with our 40' Coach I thought oboy I blew it. Getting into our site was a little tight but doable. We were in a pull through tucked in the forest with full hookups. A fire pit and picnic table too! If you go camping to stay inside our Verizon phones, Sprint hot spot and over the air TV all worked. You can hear the train in a distance and a little traffic. It is a great spot and we will come here again.

The water was excellent

This was my inaugural trip with my Roof Top Tent from Tepui.

A quick trip around the camp site and my son and I picked out spot 72 and after paying for the spot it only took a few tries to get the tent level.

Our neighbors were friendly and the white noise from the water helped hide the proximity of our fellow campers.

One of the locals stopped by to comment on my tent and said the salmon were biting - he even gave me a lure (Where am I and who are these friendly folks!?) that he caught a fish on earlier that day. My kid loved that.

He also warned of the chipmunks on the other end of the camp and how persistent they can be if you leave food anywhere they can get to.

The spot we stayed at would have been sweet for ground camping as well. Will be coming here again.

Oh, and the cell reception (AT&T) was good enough to tether and get some work done.

Views of All Kinds, Massive Quietude

Only four sites here - get in early or on a weeknight. Gorgeous drive through the town of Hood River a big bonus. Once you get in, you’ve got hikes right there with great views of Mt. Hood, the small, charming and swimmable Rainy Lake 2 minutes by walking, and just tons of shade and peace. Even though 3 sites are scrunched together, we didn’t hear our neighbors. A fabulous place to get away.

Campsite was closed

We did a 1 hr detour to go to this camp, but it was closed. We were really mad as we checked on the website, recreation.gov and multiple places to book a place, but we thought one can't reserve but has to be first come first serve. They didn't state anywhere that it's closed for renovation, so we did the detour and ended up only checking out the lake

Gets sold out super quickly

Located by the beautiful Trillium lake, the view from there is unreal. Gets sold out really quickly, we were lucky to get there at 9am and reserve a spot at someone's site who was just checking out.

awesome location, super basic though

On the way to Kiwanis Camp by the road there are spots and as far as we understood, those are for camping, though there was no sign for them. It's at a really great location as it's 3 minutes to Little Zig Zag Falls path also fairly close to Government Camp

Superb camp with awesome amenities

We were so glad we found this campsite, it looks really nice, located by the nice Trucker river, there are sites right next to the river too.

For the price you get showers, drinking water, normal toilets and a clean environment. You can pay with card too using their vending machine which was also super convenient.

Overall one of the best camps we stayed in yet

Ok camp at perfect location

We were lucky and found a spot on Saturday, it's an okay camp, without anything special. Sites are spacious and neighbors are in a nice distance so you get a remote feeling, still we were missing normal toilets and showers.

Location is superb, close to a lot of hike trails/lakes/city probably the best in the area

Okay, Not Great

So much potential being right on the Willamette River, but unfortunately there is basically no view of the water. We had a rough visit that I’m sure was an anomaly. We had a change of itinerary that brought us to Woodburn and had to arrive with no reservations. There were sites available (after Labor Day) so no problem. Were were told to “pick any unreserved site” so we did so. Got unhooked, leveled, and fully set up, then went to register for the night when the ranger told me that the site was reserved. IT WAS NOT TAGGED. So, we had to pack up and move. Total bummer. Beside that, the park is unwatered and was just dry and unattractive. Upside was spacious sites in B loop, but we just had the view of a dried out field. Paved sites, level, with plenty of electric/water sites. I wouldn’t stay here again unless it was in the spring.

Not Camping, Nice Park

Okay, this isn’t really camping, it’s more like parking in a parking lot so don’t have an expectation that it’s a camping atmosphere. That being said, this is a very nice place to get off I-5 and park an RV with all the amenities. You can walk to several restaurants and the outlet mall. There is a great laundry room, clean bathrooms and showers, pool, pet areas, and nicely paved, level, but crowded sites.

Amazing site right next to Mt. Hood

We lucked out with the last site (#3) on the last day it’s technically open (Labor Day). They’re all first come first serve and site #2 seemed to have views of the actual top of the mountain. Our site was really private, enough for multiple tents and a hammock, and it had a big picnic table as well as a fire pit. Views of Mt. Hood peak thru the trees in the site, but you can definitely hear road noise since it’s so close to it.

A gem in the Columbia River Gorge

Stumbled upon this place a few summers ago and have returned many times since. This is a perfect spot to post up for a few days with a book. It’s very quiet and the hosts are great! Super friendly and never any issues getting fire wood. Family/four-legged friendly.

Pretty big campground with 80+ sites. I usually try and snag oak site b/c it’s big and really private. Neighboring sites are also wonderful.

It’s first come first serve so I would get there early, especially in the heat of the summer. Open May-November I believe. Bring cash for payment.

Picnic tables, big fire pits with a little spot to cook if you don’t have a stove. RV hookups, water, garbage dump. Should have everything you need.

It’s close to Lost Lake if you’re looking for a day trip. Less than 20 minutes to downtown Hood River. About an hour or so from Portland.

If you like beer, check out Pfriem on your way out.

Basic Amenities, Grand Natural Beauty

We stayed at camp site #44 which has plenty of space and is surrounded by ample greenery to block view from neighboring camp sites. Vault toilets only. Mosquito repellent strongly advised. The hike to Timothy like is short and scenic. Timothy Lake itself is spectacular. Particularly since motorized boats are not allowed and on a sunny day Mt Hood is reflected in the water. Worth visiting.

Great place to exhale.

Nice campground. I went mid-week in Sept. Only gave 4 stars because of the toilets. Highly recommend yellow jacket traps this late in summer. Aggressive is an understatement.

Decent but not a destination

First off, if you have an RV and can avoid taking the Hood River Bridge, that is highly advisable. With two 9’ lanes, it’s a nightmare to get across. Having said that, the park is a nicely maintained small park with really nice facilities. It really has no view of the nearby river and is very close to an active railroad track. Yeah. I should have done my homework. The wife was not happy. But let me stress… the facilities are nice, clean, and it’s a good stop over. If you are in town, head down the road to Dickys Fruit Stand/Store and get herself a pie. Oh my my!

One down side

Campgrounds: Some were very apparent that it was smaller than other sites, but I loved that each site came with picnic table. Also some camp sites did not accommodate for multiple tents because uneven grounds and tree stumps, so bringing a air mattress or a mat would be helpful.

Amenities: Bathrooms are actually flushing water visible ones. Showers are available at a cost. It’s not bad at all, easy to use. Well maintained.

Park: Even though it’s a short distance - Drive there, as long as you have camp site parking pass, you should be fine. The river was shallow and dropped to the deep end. It was ideal for children becaus the shallow end stretched a bit and the deeper end was the other side .

One down side to the whole experience: Freeway is really really close to the whole camp site. You can hear vehicles at night. If you’re a light sleeper or need nature noises when camping - this is not the site for you. Other than that , i had a good time and felt a lot of what the camp site had to offer was great!

On the flip side, If you messed up and forgot something, wal mart or convenient store was nearby.

Greats location

4 camp sites surrounding a small lake. 1 and 2 are private While 3 and 4 are right next to each other. Campsite 2 is on the way to 3 and 4 so not to private.

The camp is a close walk to many trails and other sites.

The best campsites are those that are not crowded and you can enjoy the stillness during the day or night. This camp had just that no one around.!

Simple but great

This campground was a pretty standard off the grid type place. Pretty small and you have to walk to get to the sites.  Not really anything around except for great hiking and amazing views. Sites were big enough and super secluded, just like I like it.

There’s fishing at the lake and some great views of mount hood. I would check out the Laurence lake high ridge hike if you want the best views.

Worth the Hike Your Car Will Take

If your car can make it up the 6 miles of "road" you'll be glad that you found Elk Lake. I made it up the hill in a 2001 Rav4. You'll definitely want some clearance for the trek up.

I used this campground for my base for hiking Battle Axe Mountain. The sites are not well marked and the campground was pretty empty- even leading up to a holiday weekend. There are fire pits and tables.

The campground is pretty primitive, you'll want to bring in everything that you need - including water and some kind of floating device to spend your days on the lake. There are several places where you can put in your boat, kayak or paddle  board, and the lake is actually pretty warm in August - warm enough for swimming (and I don't ever swim in Oregon water)

If you do the Battle Axe Hike in the late summer, study up on your edible berries before you come, there are so many huckleberries here I could have filled a bucket.