About Barton Park
County
Barton Park is located in Oregon
9 Reviews of Barton Park
A good base for doing a float

We like to come here each year to camp and do a float down the Clackamas river. The campsites are nice, although it feels a bit more like camping in a park rather than in the woods - we've often had to deal with loud families or rowdy groups nearby.

Family friendly

We love to float the river! The play area/ park is one of my kids favorite. Lots of area to play. Volleyball, gagaball, playground. The showers don’t stay on very long so it’s hard to wash your hair. The store is only a few miles away. The park locks up at 10 so if you need to come in late you would have some trouble. The tent spaces are a little small if you need to set up multiple tents.

Camping by Transit Gem!

This is the campground we took our oldest daughter to on her first ever camping trip in summer 2015 - so my review is based on the campground as it was in 2015.

We live car-free but we still really enjoy camping, so we searched for a place we could go camping without a car. Barton Park was by far the winner! We were able to take a city bus there and walk the 3/4 mile into the campground - also the fact that they sell firewood and have a store 3/4 mile away was a big bonus for us.

The camping sites were perfectly fine - although I wish there were some walk-in ones that weren't right on the campground road. The playground was being replaced when we were there so I don't know how it is - but I'm sure it's fine. There was a large field for playing in right in the middle of the campground which was nice.

River campground close to Portland

Barton Park is a county park basically at the entrance of the Mt. Hood National Forest. As it has easy access to the Clackamas River, it is insanely popular for tubers and kayakers as a spot to put-in. A short drive to Barton Mercantile and gasoline for supplies, so you’re not too isolated, unlike the national forest sports, where once you go in, you’re in. Numerous campsites available, the majority of which have water and electric hookups for RVs plus a handful of “primitive” tent-only sites. Nice river views.

Floating around in the water!

Great place to put into the river to float or kayak. lots of parking. also a campground. perfect for a close weekend getaway.

nice boat ramp

lots of parking space, easy to access boat ramp, typically lots of people always there floating the river

Great campground

Very busy in the summer months. Close to Portland so it gets a lot of day traffic. Access to river so it has summer activities. Sites for large get togethers.

Near River, Quiet

One of the reasons I really like Barton Park is because it is pretty close to my hometown, Portland. It is about 45 minutes from my place, which makes escaping the city a great place. Barton Park is quiet, yet it can get a little busy. Barton Park can be used for both multiple night stays, or day use. I think a lot of people just come to the park for the day, which does make it a little crowded during the day. The day use fee is $5, and you can also reserve covered picnic tables (not sure the price, but you could probably look that up online). When my family and I came, there were a few birthday parties going on under the covered areas. There is also volleyball courts, as well as horseshoe pits. I think both are first come first serve. One nice thing about this park is that it sits next to the Clackamas River. Great for boating, fishing, and other water activities. There was really only 1 hike nearby, which to me was the downfall about this campground and why I gave it 4 stars. I thought there was going to be more hikes nearby, but there wasn't. There was a trail that was about 1.5 miles long. They have 112 campsites ($21 a night- a little spendy), and they have 103 sites with water and electrical hookups ($26 a night). The cost per night could detour people from coming and staying here. I know of a few campgrounds nearby that only cost $5-$10 a night. Overall, I really like this place and would definitely come back someday.

An offseason day-use visit

We visited this campground on the offseason. Despite the campgrounds and picnic areas being closed, everything was pristine, even the bathrooms which were well-stocked with soap and paper products.

The river is quick moving and quite lovely. There were a few fisherman there on the cloudy, cool day we visited. The campgrounds had fun amenities like outdoor movie screening areas. The kids enjoyed the amazing playgrounds that they claimed gave them “tons of playful ideas.” The campsites ranged from shaded with tall trees for tents and small RVs, to open and landscaped sites near a man-made pond for larger RVs with pull through needs.

The campground is clearly well-cared for and we imagine that it would be a pleasant place to stay.