Hugo Lake, OKLAHOMA
Most Recent Hugo Lake Camping Reviews
Best trout fishing around!

Beaver's Bend State Park has the best year round trout fishing in this part of the USA…it's one of the only places where the water is cool enough to sustain the fish throughout even the summer. There are seven different campgrounds inside the park, and they have only JUST started an online reservation system; so it's now possible to ensure the site you want before you get there! Some of the sites are on the bank of the Lower Mountain Fork river, and some are more inland, out of direct eye site of the river. The park and river do get fairly crowded over holiday weekends, and even on regular weekends with nice weather, but we've never had an issue with the campsites being totally full; there always has been one available. The views are lovely, the water is pristine, and if you get bored with that, there's also a fairly interesting forestry museum at the check-in center; as well as a gift shop. There's also a great little fly/guide shop in the park, and the owners will happily chat with you about river conditions, what the fish are biting, etc. Would strongly recommend a visit here! We make about a 3 hour drive about once a month to camp here and it never gets old.

Quiet, peaceful, worth it..

I really like the fact that we could boondock our camper with in reason of the table area. (side of the road) plenty of room to let the slide out.. Fishing was great on the bank. Bathrooms were not horrible.. and had toilet paper.. Loved the fact it had a fire pit. and a grill.. even a place to hang your lantern.. Was a great experience if you want better.. go to places that charge more than $6 a night.. Loved it.. will be going back again.. does have trails.. to explore.

Great place to get away a hidden gem

Beavers bend state park is a great place to get away tucked away in the kiamichi mountains of South east Oklahoma along the mountain fork river all kinds of camp sites from full hookup to hike in also broken bow lake is right over the mountains also there are hundreds of cabins to rent in the area

Super RV camping

This is a beautiful state park with both tent and RV camping. RV camping includes water/electric only and water/electric/sewer sites. Lots of pull through sites with concrete pads. Nicer and not as busy as Beavers Bend. Marina with a boat ramp, Lodge, lots of hiking trails. Tent camping on the lake.

Awesome

It is awesome out there it has the best view

Trout!

Nice scenery. Good fishing and kayaking. We went on a holiday and 4here was no rhyme or reason to the camping spots. Seemed very crowded with campers pitching tents wherever they can. I stilled enjoyed myself although it was crowded. The mini golf Definetly needs improving. And the info office is nice.

There's a lot to do in the area

You have a lot of options for activities - hiking, swimming, boating, fishing. There's a lot of resources near by so you never run out of anything. My only complaint is that it's normally pretty crowded.

Beware storm season

Campsites were a little close together for me but they aren’t horribly bad. These plenty to do there if you want to rent a kayak or canoe or paddle boards. Fishing is also pretty prominent there but we didn’t catch anything. We were there during storm season and it was quite a ride in the tent! Hiking trails aren’t well marked so we just stayed along the river.

Ok

Popular for the hunter.

Had a blast

Every so often my family and I will venture into Oklahoma to do some camping and hiking. About 5 years ago we came to Kiamichi Park and enjoyed our time there. There is a lot of grass area which was nice because we love to play KOOB and throw the freesbie for our dog. There is also a lake nearby called Hugo Lake which was amazing because we went to the lake to cool off, and our dog enjoyed swimming. People were fishing in the lake as well, and kayaking too. The kayaking looked like a blast. We looked for places nearby to rent, but couldnt find any. If you have your own I would recommend bringing one because the lake is gorgeous. We also enjoyed biking on the trail, running, and hiking. There is a boat ramp next to the lake as well. We also saw people horseback riding on the trails. There honestly was so much stuff do it! We loved it and stayed super busy.

Buckeye - Nice and quiet and beautiful

Beautiful campground but we were quite disappointed when we got to Buckeye to find that there's no swimming, wading or boating on that section of the river. Have quarters for the showers in case the changer is out! And extra for when the water stops with no warning. I don't know about you but I'm usually soaped up when that happens. Squirrels are active and like to drop nut and pine cone pieces on your head lol. It's amusing, it doesn't hurt! These sites are by reservation. There's kayak rentals in the state park. We had them shuttle our kayaks up river for just $5/boat. 4 Days in a row! Went zip lining up at Rugaru for my 50th. It's a beautiful area… definitely want to come back and explore more!

Great semi-secluded spot on the river

We camp in one of the primitive areas on the river side of the campground. We love that the site we always choose is semi-secluded due to the natural greenery, but it’s also on the section of the river where everyone floats by in tubes, kayaks, and canoes. Beavers Bend State Park has tons of activities for families that don’t like to be stuck in the woods. We tend to venture into town once or twice over a long weekend for a late lunch during the hottest part of the afternoon.

McGee State Park

This place is really dark at night and some campsites are very private. You can see so many stars. There is a grill and a table at you campsite. The campsites are gravel and have tins of ants… Just a warning. When the sun comes up there is a silver glow on the water beautifull. There is also a beach area.

Escape to the Lake

Lots of options in this park for tent, RV, and lodge stays. Quiet lake-front or riverside camping for RV’s and tents. Plenty of bathrooms and showers (some showers require $$, but they are cleaner). I would recommend studying the hiking maps carefully as several trails needed updated markings. Swimming, boating, and hiking, are the main activities available.

Best Campground in the area.

We loved our short stop over here. The bathrooms were nice, you have a choice of campground space with the three loops, nicely spaced spots and the lake. It even has a short trail if you hike! We just stayed over night here on the way home from a trip but really enjoyed the views. Comparing it to all of the other spot in the area this is definitely the best and most accessible as it is a short drive from the main hiway.

Nice park but needs work

This COE campground is a pretty decent as far as COE campgrounds go, there is some obvious flood damage to some of the sites near the water with a few not useable at all. The sites run the spectrum from packed close together to being well spread out depending on the area and loop camped in. Most are well shaded sites, trees abound at the campground.

Water access is sometimes very far from the campsite and sometimes right on each site there is no consistency, so an extra hose is advisable. The staff and volunteers patrol the park frequently making sure the park is clean and the facilities are clean as well.

Overall this is a quiet park, a nice lake with plenty of shoreline for swimming and fishing as well as 2 boat ramps on site.

Opportunity for everyone

This is one of the most popular Oklahoma state parks we have been to. It has opportunity to hike, fish, canoe, golf, camp, and just relax. The sites all come with a fire ring and table but the tent site we were at was ungraded and not very level. The bathrooms were some of the worst that we have seen as well, so depending on the loop you are in be prepared. We had a pit toilet closest to our site and couldn't go near it. We did rent a canoe here instead of hiking some of the trail and found the river to be relaxing and fun, if not a little short. We were able to see otters here in the wild for the first time!

If you haven’t been here you’re missing out!!!!!

This campground has it all! Cabins, RV, tents- on the river or in the forest! Nature center- check! Fly fishing- check! Paddle boats, canoes and kayaks- check check check! Enjoy the loveliest place in Oklahoma and visit Beavers Bend you won’t be disappointed!!!!

Nice family and boating spot

The things I liked about this park is it provides a pleasant family environment and nice boat lunching opportunities. That is about it.The sites are not graded well and would be best set up for RV's. You can choose some wooded areas and some open areas so that shouldn't be a consideration. The bathrooms are dated and little more than a glorified hole in the ground. While exploring I was attacked by ants so heads up on that. The reason I wouldn't go back is short of the lake, there inst a lot more to do here as the grounds are actually fairly small. I would go to Sanders Cove for a better experience.

Gorgeous area

We camped right on the banks of the river. it was across from a bluff and we could watch people climbing and repelling. Others had rented paddle boats nearby. The bathrooms and showers were nearby and clean and the water was cool and clear. We enjoyed our camp site and the close proximity to the Lower Mountain Fork river for paddling.

Peaceful and friendly

It’s located in a pretty area of Oklahoma. You have mountains and a river, trees and wildlife. The park itself has many options for the outdoor lover. There is fishing, camping, hiking, kayaking, and swimming. There is a lake in the State Park as well that you can put you boat. There is primitive camp sites as well as electric and water hook up sites. The kids and I enjoyed out time there!

Grasslands lake camping in North Texas.

We stayed here by happenstance. This campground isn't really near anything and is a 30 minute drive from even the smallest town so come prepared for all your needs. There is a vault toilet and the grounds weren't in terrible shape. This would be my choice for a campground in the National Grasslands. There is lake access here and you could tell that this is a equestrian meet up area. The camps pots weren't leveled and you just throw your tent wherever you want. We didn't have any neighbors so it was quiet. The spot we got had a fire ring and a table. This is basic no frills car camping here if you are interested. We didn't have time to research so we don't know if there are any trails or anything in this area as we couldn't find any.

Unimpressive...

This is a unique park without any fan fair from what is called a National anything. Coincidentally this is a National Grassland area and looked to be ran by the forest service with the similar campground organization. This particular are looked like it hasn't been taken care of since it was constructed. The bathrooms were in disrepair, buildings and infrastructure were falling down a little bit and it looked like rangers hadn't visited in some time. If you RV camp, this could be a decent stop over for a night and you like to fish. There weren't any hookups for RV's but the price of $4 a night can't be beat. There were a few tables and fire pits sprinkled around the area but no formal sites other than that from what I could tell.

beautiful

We love this place. We have been there twice. The first time for a week. The second ws for a weekend get a way. We like to do the primitive camping. We also went kayaking in mountain fork rive. That was so much fun and beautiful as well.

Great camping here!

This is a family and pet friendly place. There are a ton of spots to choose from (most right off the water). There’s electric and water hook ups if you’re fancy like that as well. It’s a clean, safe place to camp. There’s canoe and kayak rentals, a gift shop and convenient store in case you forget essenctials or run out, but you’re far enough from town to where is quiet and relaxing. As a kid my parents took me here a bunch and I loved it. Never a bad memory. I came back with friends as an adult and it was just as fun. Beautiful place. I definitely recommend staying here. Also, while canoeing, we saw some bald eagles! Not sure how rare it is to see them in the area, but it was a great surprise.

Stunning lake views!

There are so many camp areas right at waters edge. Electric water showers restrooms and greywater discharge available. 10-15 from store and nice dining!

Quiet and calm

Beavers Bend is a local "go to" for weekends, spring break, and summer. The park has had some set backs over the years do to significant flooding and funding for repairs. Campgrounds are mostly decent, and can become crowded. They are modern and large, however there are not showers available at all campgrounds, nor are there flushing toilets. There are many trails for hiking and mountain biking, for the most part the trails are not beginner friendly. Water activities are abundant, people often come to the area to float the river because the water is cool.

We generally do not camp here, but have. This is more of a day trip location for our family. If you plan to access the trails I would recommend over preparing as they are not generally well marked and in some cases they aren't passable as a result of flood damaged bridges which may not have been repaired.

Absolutely beautiful campground

All areas are kept really clean. Restrooms and showers are even cleaned daily!

Love it here!

This is my favorite area close to me! We are a kayaking family and love to take our kids here to kayak every year. Their campgrounds are well taken care of and the peddle boats are fun. There are several really good restaurants close by that don’t mind when you come in all wet and dirty. I’ve camped at several areas within this park and have always had a great experience.

Camped here my whole life

I’ve camped all around Pat Mayes lake since I was a kid. Sanders Cove is the most up to date facilities on the lake and I believe the only one with showers. The camp hosts are always so very nice and we always have a wonderful time here. The hiking trails are great!