Murphy , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Murphy Camping Reviews
Fall Getaway

My wife and I went for our 5th anniversary. The campground is great and within a mile or 2 of a lot of trail heads in the Smokies. It was beautiful in October, but if you go in peak season I would recommend staying in the national park due to the insane amounts of traffic getting into Gatlinburg.

AT campsites at the Gnarly Oak

Camped here 1 night while hiking the AT. Multiple flat areas for tents and/or trees for hammocks alongside the trail as it crests the ridge just north of the GA/NC border. Running water out of a pipe (it's a spring I guess?) just south of the ridge, but you'll need to boil or filter before drinking. I was here in the middle of November and so it was cold and windy at night.

Nice little hideaway

You could pretty much drive by this place without giving it a second thought. I am glad I didn't. We got there late after 1pm. I was afraid that we were out of luck. But we found a nice spot right on the water. It was raining and the temps were threatening to drop but we wanted one last camping trip before winter. I am glad we chose this spot. A little rocky for the tents but we made it work. I did notice some much better spots for tents. Some sites were big, one of them maybe even big enough for a small gathering, but some were really small. It would absolutely NOT ba a good location for a class A motorhome but maybe some of the smaller class C's could get settled in there I saw a small camper trailer sitting comfortable. I would not like to try to get a larger camper or 5th wheel in there, way too tight to turn around. All of the sites had solid packed ground so it would not be hard to level whatever rig you use. Drive right up to the camp site better yet use a truck bed camper or tent. We brought a porta-potty and tent for it and were glad we did. Bathrooms are on the property but are just glorified outhouses the smell was not the most pleasant part of the trip by far. To sum it up we WILL be back but I will be getting there earlier in the day.

Great location just 10 minutes from Helen

Hosts are super nice! Nice little spot, very clean bathrooms, conveniently located

Leave it to Georgia

While I do enjoy the woods and easy walk of raven cliff falls. Prepare for the humidity. Upon arriving and carrying things to camp I left a bundle of wood outside my car for me to return and get but within minutes it was stolen. I’ve spent months out west camping and traveling with great experience. Welcome to Georgia!

Very quiet and beautiful

Quiet campsite run by NPS. Beautiful in the fall. Great fire pit and gravel elevated platform for tents and activities

Mountain Serenity

Unique campground with basic amenities. Close access to trails and there are multiple waterfalls on the property. The campsites are on the close side but the environment is top notch.

Great Campground

We love camping at Fort Mountain. Its usually a good bit cooler due to the elevation, and the private wooded campsites make tent camping in Georgia’s summer heat much more enjoyable. Good hiking and things to do nearby.

Quiet campsite with shade

This is a lovely campground and it is laid out well to provide privacy and shade on the sites. Our campsite was overlooking the water which was great. We were travelling through from NC to FL and enjoyed mountain biking and hiking in the area.

There is wifi near the information office and a table to sit outside under a big tree whilst you catch up on anything urgent

Lots of Wildlife

The campground is right off loop road. Spots are a little close, and not very private, but you cant beat the location in the park. We saw 3 bears, a red wolf, and numerous dear and elk during our stay.