Balfour, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Balfour Camping Reviews
Peaceful space!

Sweet family and amazing property . Lots of hard work put into the space. Close to everything and yet feels miles away.

Awesome Visit & Stay

We love this campground and can not wait to go back. It is in a great location and has a great staff. The cleanest campground we’ve stayed at: laundry room, bathhouse, etc. Awesome play ground for all ages of children, two dog parks, ponds, level sites, etc. We stayed in March so the pool was not open but looking forward to visiting again soon.

Best spot in the Smokies

Great campsite. Clean bathrooms. Right down the road from good hiking spots.

Victor Road Dispersed Camping

There are three campsites located in Victor Road. Victor Road is approx. 2 miles north of highway 80 (highway 80 is is approx 16 miles north of Mount Mitchell) on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The road is initially pavement but quickly turns to packed gravel. The road is a little rough in spots, but I had zero issues in my Honda Accord. Sites are free and do not appear to be managed by any official municipal, state or federal authority…but they are in great shape.

Three sites are available from what I could see. The marker on this map is at the site of what I am calling #3. Sites 1 & 2 are located about 1/2 mile down Victor Road on the left and are adjacent to one another, but appear to be large and have foliage separating them. One of the sites had three tents pitched along side a beach tent and still had plenty of open space in the middle around a stone fire pit. I stayed at site number three. This has enough room for two cars and a four person tent at most. I have a three person tent and it covered most of the flat pad area. The site has a fire pit and is located just before a large(ish) stream that crosses the road. Beyond this campsite, the road turns private. The site is on the left hand side as you approach the stream. There is room on the right hands side of the road for perhaps another tent if one wanted to do so.

This is fairly remote, despite being close enough to the BRP to hear cars occasionally. There are no amenities aside from the fire pit, but it's handy to have a creek for water for filtering or boiling. You should note that there are hunting blinds at the top of the hill between sites 1/2 and 3. These are facing a field that points away from the campsites. I imagine during turkey season (I saw a lot of turkey), you may hear gunshots.

There aren't any trails down this road, but you are within a few minutes of the BRP where they are plentiful and Mt. Mitchell and associated trail systems are less than 20 minutes. The BRP would have to be open for you to access these sites, so plan accordingly (my suggestion is the real time map on nps.org).

An unforgettable beauty

It has the potential to be a little crowded, but to be able to take a dip in the creek mid summer is priceless. One of my favorite swimming holes is here

One of my absolute favorites!

Very cool, rustic, and secluded site only a few miles from a great panoramic view ontop or max patch. My favorite thing about this site is all the moss scattered throughout

Beautiful & Clean Camping

So many beautiful sites! This is our family’s favorite getaway and we have been here a dozen times! The campground is in a peaceful setting close to Asheville shopping, restaurants, Blue Ridge Parkway and Arboretum.

Fantastic stop!

Loved this place - great sites, clean bathrooms, nice showers, it was all good! Hope to come back!

Beautiful lakeside campsite

Beautiful view, but very cramped campsites. Clean bathrooms and showers. Nice ball field and playground right on the beach area.

Scenic and Peaceful

As other reviews have said, this campground is in a lovely location, right on a small creek/river. The grounds are well maintained and grass covered for the most part. Some tent sites are sorta marked (picnic tables), but you can camp anywhere you want.  When I stayed there, it was not very crowded, quite and there was a car in the campground (not sure how that fits with "motorcycle campground".  There are also lot's of cabins if you prefer.

Facilities are ok, could be cleaner and better maintained, but the host is trying. I think times are tough for this business. Food is available on Friday and Saturday's, limited options, but available. On the subject of food, that is probably the biggest drawback about this campground. Plan on a 15 mile +/- ride to eat. The host has coolers for free use, sells ice, I didn't notice grills, but he may have them.

All-in-all, a nice place to which I'll return.