Airmont, NEW YORK
Most Recent Airmont Camping Reviews
Close to what your in NYC for

This is a great spot with views of Manhattan, Statue of Liberty, etc. Expect to pay pretty good to be gear, but from here you can pretty much easily get anywhere in NYC. Service is great and friendly. Checking in was easy, and they accommodated our needs. Expect to pay between $35-50 for a Lyft to get to Brooklynn.

cool boy

but i will do my best

Awesome time

Always love this place best campground in the frustrate if you have younger kids !!!!

Ranger Review: Gregory Zulu 55 at Namanock Island

Campground Review: This is one of my absolute favorite camping areas I have ever been. Namanock Island is only accessible by water and is roughly 4 miles down the Delaware River if you leave from Milford Beach in Milford, PA. There is a ten dollar fee per day to park your car so bring cash as the parking area is not always manned and you’ll have to leave the fee in an envelope that is available just past the entrance. These sites are canoe, kayak, or(in my case) packraft accessible. The sites are maintained by the NPS and are available on a first come first served basis. Also there is no cost to camp on the river save the parking fees you paid in Milford! This was my first time making the trip with a friend and it was awesome to have some company. We stayed at site 13 (marked by a small square sign). Once at the tip of the island you will want to stay to the right on the river and close to the shore of the island(on your left hand side) as the site comes up relatively quickly and you won’t want to shoot past it. It’s a steep climb up the shore so be prepared for that. You have a small piece of shoreline that is mostly rocks. It’s a great spot to sit and enjoy the sun, sounds of nature, and have yourself a cold beer. You are limited to one night on the island. They are primitive campsites which include a fire ring and a primitive toilet. The sites are in excellent shape! This was my first time venturing to the island on a weekend(Friday) night but we had the place to ourselves so that was awesome. I’ve read that if you are going on a weekend that it’s advisable to go earlier in the day. We were on the island by 3 and had no problem securing our site, granted it was early June so your mileage may vary if you are going during the peak of the summer. It's a rare thing to camp on an island and Namanock is so serene and peaceful, you’ll hear the water flowing gently all night, perfection! We had ourselves a nice fire and made hot dogs and s’mores. The next morning we packed up and set off for another site about 8 miles down the river. After camping at the next site we packed up and hiked back along the McDade Recreation Trail to Dingmans Ferry access where we caught the River Runner Shuttle(a free shuttle that runs along the river on Saturdays and Sundays in the summer free of charge) back to the car in Milford. We were pressed for time otherwise we would have made the full 12 mile hike, instead we hiked slightly more than 4 miles. I’ll keep going back to this site as often as I can and can’t recommend it enough. In order to be prepared for the river camping experience

I would recommend purchasing the National Geographic map of the Delaware Water Gap and/or the DWG map set sold by the NYNJ Trail Conference as they have all of the sites outlined.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. At Namanock Island, I got to test out the Gregory Zulu 55 pack. This pack comes loaded with features. It fit all of my gear (sleeping bag, tent, food sleeping pad, backpacking chair, packraft, paddle, clothes, etc with absolutely no problem. I am 5’7’’ and weigh about 145 lbs, the small/medium pack fit me perfectly. I really loaded this thing up with my rafting gear for our 4 mile hike back to the parking area and never once felt like I had a hot spot or any discomfort whatsoever. The Zulu features Gregory’s FreeFloat suspension technology designed to move with your body and I’d say mission accomplished, it really felt like it responded well to my movements and never once did it feel uncomfortable! The Zulu comes loaded with pockets both external and internal as well as multiple lashing points which perfectly suited my needs for my packrafting trip as I was able to secure it easily to my raft and lash extra gear externally. The fact that they include a rain cover is a nice bonus! The only issue I had was with my water bladder. I use a platypus big zip 3L which perfectly fit in the sleeve provided for a water bladder however it did not clip in well to the clip provided as it is designed for Gregory’s hydro reservoir. This is far from a deal breaker but worth mentioning. I have a few packs and the Gregory Zulu 55 is 100% going to be my go to for overnights and multi-day efforts!

For more information and to purchase one for yourself check out the pack at Gregory’s site here: https://www.gregorypacks.com/packs-bags/backpacking-packs/zulu-55-1115ZUL55.html

Had a great experience. Bunch of us guys went for weekend campout. 6/21/2019-6/23/2019

Great fun. 8 guys from our Bible study group. Lots of firewood available to gather. Clean site. Well behaved neighbors. Definitely will go there again.

Good Camp for groups

It's a good park/camp for groups. They have cabins and RV sites and now that the Tapan Zee bridge work is done most of them are now open again as the bridge workers have moved out.

There is a model airplane air field and a decent playground for young kids.

Only down side is there is a train depot right outside and you can hear them shunting trains all night.

Camping experience

Small campground. Sites very close to one another. Close to ferry for downtown and Statue of Liberty. People are very nice and accommodating. More of a stopping place to see the sites.

Overgrown and rundown

If you're looking for peace and quiet this place has it… but not much else. Out in the middle of nowhere NY, you pull into the campground on a one-lane road (no mirrors or anything else so if someone is going the opposite direction as you, you're stuck). Nothing is paved or even covered in stones for a roadway. The only way you know the path is by the flattened overgrown grass. The grounds haven't been weed-whacked in what appears to be months. The grounds have plenty of amenities but none of which are usable. The playgrounds are for children only because if an adult was on anything it would fall apart. Plus I don't think any adult would want children on the playground equipment which is either built with decrepit and probably molding wood or taken back by the land. The pool is not filled, nor cleaned, no covered in the middle of June. The basketball court has no path to it. You'll have to hike through more tall grass and weeds to get there. On top of that, there are no nets on the rims and the whole basketball poles have been taken over by weeds and the court is cracked up. The pavilion is atrocious as well being held up by ply board. Most of the picnic tables are broken and disgusting. Our sewer pipe is broken, we are not able to screw our hose in. No problem for them. They don't think it's broken, just stick the hose in there and keep it in place with a rock.

This place needs so much TLC it's insane. They let it go so far it's going to take so much work to get it back to nice standards.

Used to be a great campground

Very high prices, they cater to large groups who occupy most of the campground. Try to contact via phone, no answer, no call backs. Shame used to camp here for almost 20 years when it was a privately owned campground.  Pool is old, mostly all the sites are in a field, not separated by trees or shrubs.

Pleasant campground, litter was a drawback

Came in on MetroNorth from NYC then took a pre-arranged taxi ($25 flat rate) to the campground. Check-in was fast at the registration desk, and they sold bundles of wood for$6. The campsite (#040) was private, but was located next to the Nature Center and a water spigot, so it was not a super quiet place. The site was littered with small pieces of trash and there was a folding chair someone left open beside the firepit when we arrived… not ideal.

However, the site itself was solid- it is surrounded by forest, and is at the top of a small ridge above Pelton Pond, so there was a pretty consistent breeze (few bugs!) and the soft sounds of bullfrogs at night. A tree with a couple medium-size dead limbs was above the ideal place to pitch the tent. The site comes with a picnic table (it was in OK shape) and a fire ring with removable grate, as well as a standing-level charcoal BBQ grill. This site and several others on the opposite (west) side of Pelton Pond had easy access to the 1.5 mile Pelton Pond hike loop. There was plenty of dry kindling around the site, which was a huge help because the wood bought from the Park hissed and didn't really get burning (damp wood? fresh cut?).

The park rangers told us the plumbing had been re-done in the past year, so the water fountains and water spigots were in great shape and provided cold, clear water. The bathrooms were clean and well-kept (saw toilet bowl cleaner in the morning), no stalls ran out of toilet paper, and there was soap most of the time at the sinks. We did not use the showers, so can't speak to those. There are even dish washing sinks available with hot running water.

We walked 20 min from our site to the beach across the 2-lane highway. The lake is clear and sandy (some rocks in sand on shore, but standard for imported sand), and many families seemed to have traveled up for a day trip. There are facilities and a small grill (burgers, popsicles, etc.) at the beach.

Overall, the campsite was pleasant and it was peaceful during quiet hours (10pm-7am) on both Friday and Saturday nights. Removing one star for the lack of care at the site itself (litter, trash around when we arrived) and the poor firewood quality. I would recommend this campground to those looking for a quick trip out of the city, to people new to camping, or to use as a base to explore the Hudson River Valley if you have a personal vehicle.

Great fishing hiking and campsites

Great fishing hiking and campsites

Fake

The place doesn’t exist

Good spot

Good spot to get away for a few days. Really like the lean-to, bare bones, but they have stoves inside, and are dry.

Good place

Probally our go-to campground in NJ. The lake is great to kayak and fish, and the campsites are spacious and has bathrooms. Very clean and enjoyable

Like it

We really like this campground. Quiet and spacious. No facilities, just a porta-jon, but i think that makes it better. Police patrolled, and dog friendly.

Lovely campgrounds an hour north of NYC

Drive-in tent campgrounds. Adequate restroom facilities sprinkled amongst tent sites. Some campsites have raised platforms. All sites have picnic tables and fire ring with flip-top grill. If looking for privacy, back end of campgrounds (#’s 1, 13, 15, 21, 23, etc) provide adequate quietness, a bit hidden and tucked away from the rest. Very near many trailheads and the expansive Lake Welsh. Alcohol prohibited… Uploaded photo/vid from off-season 2019.

Needs lots of tlc

First, as a Thousand Trails member, I didn't have to pay. So far, after visiting 6 rv parks, I do have to say, this one is on the bottom of my list of nice campgrounds.

First the good: there are lots of sites here and the grounds range from being near neighbors to more spread out in the valley. There are lots of trees and the roads are paved which makes it perfect to ride your bicycle. The playground is great for the kids. They have a nice pool.

Now the bad: it's a run down campground. It doesn't look like they have not done any maintenance to the place. The bathrooms look like standard park bathrooms, the general store barely has any items. The kids arcade and activity center has 4 arcade games and barely anything to do but the ball center. The main activity center is closed down. The building that used to hold the water park is abandoned and clutter everywhere. The lake and gazebo have been vandalized.

Also note, if you want peace and quiet, stay away from the tent area. Those who stay there are more of the NY crowd and are very festive.

All in all, we had a nice time. No problems at all.

Love it here!

My fiancé, dog, and I have been going here for over 2 years and we love it. The campground is small but also secluded. We always hike to the lake here, it’s a very easy hike and also very peaceful. Definitely come here when you get a chance. There is electric and water hookups for your RV which is great! And at the campgrounds there is a platform where you can pitch your tent.

Loving it so far

My husband and I are seasonal campers and we have been there every weekend since last fall. So far we have nothing to complain.

Don’t let first impressions lead you on. The staff is very friendly if you give them a chance. My husband loves to talk with Mr. Risdon. They are nice, decent people.

Our campsite has water and electric hook ups. We chose a nice spot and made it our weekend home.

The resort itself offers pool during winter, a store with some essentials (ask them about the bacon they sell, is great!), bathrooms with showers open year round, dump station. You know. The basics.

Tent sites also have water and electric hook ups.

Great campsite and amazing food!

I camped on one of the platforms, which was very nice and did not feel crowded even with other people on neighboring platforms. One highlight was having meals cooked by the stellar chef. The lake is very peaceful, and home to beavers we watched from the dining hall patio. This campsite is accessible by public transportation. There is a shuttle run by the campsite to and from Tuxedo Park Train Station (reservations on shuttle required).

A place to sleep near the gunks

This isn't a fancy campsite and has no amenities. There is a small(10 car) parking lot and a trail that runs thru 80 acres of forest. Camping is allowed anywhere 150ft from the trail. Normal LNT rules apply. Bugs are relentless. Many climbers stay there for access to the gunks.

Nice campground in historic area of NJ

Nice big group site and fun walk to Ghost Lake.

Decent campground

I stayed at group site 4 which was a very nice campsite. Not very much completely level terrain but nothing you can't sleep on (that is it is a dirt/grass ground however not too level). It is off the beaten path without any running water or showers within walking distance. There is a lake at this campground that does have showers so I would recommend using those but if camping in the off season they may not be open.

Beautiful hiking trails around the area with a cool, shaded stream that runs close by the sites and is fun to walk along (does have paths).

Primitive River site with perks

Primitive site for multi day river trips. There’s usually always a port-a-potty at the campsite. Each area has its own fire ring and multiple river pull offs for easy finding and access. There is an emergency pick up/access road available as well with contact from the park. Reservations are required for this site.

Lots of things to do nearby.

Disclaimer- it's not actually in Newburgh or NYC. Its located in Ulster County. It's a convenient place to de-winterize and ensure all systems are working as it's actually in my town. Some sites are hard to get into and others are in more of a large parking lot, but I think that is for workers for local pipeline companies. They have been working on upgrades and adding more patio sites which does improve the place. They have lots of things to do for the kids and a fishing pond as well. Trips are organized to NYC and it's about a half hours drive to a metro north station if you wanted to take a train South. Not far from SUNY New Paltz, local wineries and apple orchards and it's a reasonable drive to Walkway over the Hudson and the bike baths that connect to it. It is located on a quiet road, however the property backs up to the NYS Thruway.

Mainly seasonal

Majority of sites are season all campers with LOTS of cottages. Went early in the season so many had not been maintained in months. Only a handful of full hook up sites surrounded by seasonal cottages. Other area of the place had water and electric but it would be hard to get in/out of if it had rained a lot as it was all on soft grass. Lake was not easy to get to due to the messy walkways and mud. Overall was not impressed. Felt like a trailer park.

Could be better but its aiight

The campgrounds are nice. But that all. They have loads of events over the weekend but the weekend hasn't happened yet to check them out. Originally I thought it was the gloom of the weather that made this place seem pretty plain and run down. But now that its a beautiful day, the grounds are about the same. It just seems like it hasn't been kept up all that well. This place can be grand if they want it to be. Just needs some TLC