The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Pajarito Mesa , NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Pajarito Mesa Camping Reviews
Kind of a pain

On our full hook up site the dump sight was in a bad place. We would of had to un hook from our truck to fully hook up. We only stayed one night and didn’t use any of the facilities.

Nice small RV park

We only stayed here for one night on our way from Texas to Utah but it was a nice cozy stay. The park has full hook ups and a little dog area. The wifi worked great we streamed Netflix that night. 7100’ elevation. There were a ton of stars at night which was great. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We arrived around 6pm and our info was thumb tacked to the entry board. Call her and she comes right down to show you your spot. It’s located next to a little brewery and pizza place. The pizza and beer were both really good I would check that place out while you stay. Ale Republic it’s called. Check it out.

Washboard and Guns!

This would be an awesome camping area if it were not for the non stop shooting. Great scenery but annoyingly loud. Shooting noise started at the crack of dawn until sunset and it sounded like it was coming from all directions along with the ricochets. Shooters have left tons of shells and all the garbage they shoot at which is unacceptable and sad.

There are free roaming cattle in the area that can get quite close at times. They were not the slightest phased by the shooting just yards from them.

The dirt road from highway 550 is all washboard for miles and miles. You go through Zia Reservation land to get to this area so pay attention to the signs. You'll pass a couple of bike trail parking areas for White Ridge Bike Trails along the way which you can stay at if there is space otherwise leave it for the bikers. There is a large dumpster near the bike area as well.

Google maps shows areas further up the road. The GPS location for this site is right off the main dirt road but further in there are some nice spots but not advisable for low clearance vehicles.

There is no water and cell reception is spotty. Decent=Verizon AT&T=poor

Good spot for chore day

Accepts Passport America discount even though they do not appear on the Passport America website. We paid $19 for 30 amp site with water and sewer hookup with the discount. Nice place for chore day in between boondock days. Free showers, clean stalls and hot water.  Laundry on site.  Attached to laundry room is a game room with free pool table, TV, 2 arcade games (arcades were non-functioning when we were there).  Staff very friendly. There is a gift shop on site.  You can refill propane on site, but the propane company is a different operator than the RV park and were closed when we were there. Sites are very close together and not very level.  There is an area to walk your dogs.  Dumpsters on site, but no recycling. There is a "take a book, leave a book" shelf near the office.  Camping World is right next door.  Near freeway and you can hear the freeway noise all night.

Nice KOA with Friendly Staff

We stayed at this KOA for two nights during a cross country trip as we passed through Albuquerque in October 2020. The only reason I give 4 out of 5 stars and not 5 out of 5 stars is the urban location is not much to look at. The campground itself is very well-maintained and the staff are extraordinarily friendly. It was incredibly convenient that there were a number of large RV dealerships in the immediate vicinity, so we were able to pick up some supplies that are not easily found at Walmart locations. We stayed in a large pull thru site that actually had a dedicated "pet suite" with astroturf for our dog. That's the first time we had seen that on a trip and we were pleased with the amenity having come from so many places that don't have grass anywhere.

Great service

I made a reservation earlier in the day, pulled in after dark and was greeted by a gentleman on a golf cart. He asked my name, retrieved my registration info, and had me follow him to my campsite. So easy! Otherwise it's a nice clean RV park. If interstate road noise will bother your sleep, you might want to get more off the beaten path as the interstate runs right past this location.

Beautiful view

We stayed overnight here and left in the morning. The view to the campground was beautiful but the campground was so full and RVs so close together, hard to enjoy what the area has to offer. Staff was helpful and accommodating. Site had full hookups and a picnic table but was not level. Was not a bad experience, but with other campgrounds in the area, I would not camp here again.

Great for kids

The staff here are awesome, very friendly & always available to help with anything you need. Easy pull through spots. The playground has the best swing set and is all sand, very fun for kids of all ages.

Great spot with a few oddities

This RV park is owned and operated by the Town of Bernalillo, a community about 15 miles north of Albuquerque(where we live) and is right next to Coronado State Monument, the ruins of an old Pueblo. It is right on the banks of the Rio Grande, but the river is not easily accessible from here. There are some sites that have great river views(A- D), but these sites are very small and have minimal hookups. Most of the sites here are gigantic, with lovely picnic areas. Not just a table, but a table under a fully stuccoed covering. We got a huge rainstorm the night we were there, and we sat in the shelter and watched Mother Nature's show and didn't get a drop on us. It was great. There are lots of mature trees in the area, so you'll get plenty of opportunity for shade as well.

We were in Site 4, one of 6 50amp pull through sites(although the camp host gets Site 1, so there are really only 5 such sites). Electric was easy to reach…water everywhere appears to be on the OTHER side of the site, so I was very glad to have my second hose on hand to reach it. There is no sewer on the sites themselves, but if you're staying there, the easily accessible dump station is included in the price.

The sites are blacktop and at first glance appear level, but when we actually put our levels down, we discovered there was a significant slope. Actually caused our passenger rear tires to be up in the air, which caused us to need to move around the site a little bit. Not a major deal, but I was frankly surprised.

The camp hosts were friendly enough, but they drive around in their golf carts quite frequently, and really seem interested in seeing what you're up to. I was grilling on my little propane grill, and they slowed down and really took a long look at what I was doing. Later, we were sitting outside(right before the rain) and again, a sloooow drive-by. Seemed a little much for a couple of 50-somethings. I'm glad they take safety seriously, but I didn't feel super welcome either.

But we'll go here again. It's right next to one of the best breweries in the area(Bosque Brewing) and I certainly like being able to walk to the spot. When the monument reopens, we'll be able to make a day of hiking, beer drinking and watching the scenery.

Humble but still pretty nice

We live in Albuquerque, but wanted to spend a day hiking the Sevilleta National Wildlife Refuge. Kiva RV Park is just a 5 minute drive from the NWR, so we stayed there on a Friday night, so we could get up bright and early for our hiking the next day.

The folks running the place were very friendly. Led us to our spot and made sure everything was okay for us. It's a fairly humble place…gravel roads and parking spots. No concrete to be seen. Each slot has a fairly wide planted area, but this is not patches of green lawn. They have mature native trees and shrubs that are well maintained. Plenty of big cottonwood trees provided shade. The place is clearly run on a low budget, but is well maintained and there is pride in the work here. When we visited, it appeared to be nearly full, and it felt like perhaps 50/50 mix between long-term residents and overnight(or nearly overnight) visitors. There is a large corral area for horses. We walked over to it but there were no horses there. There's a little dog park, a bathhouse and laundry. We didn't use any of those amenities, so I can't comment. I believe the laundry is listed as free.(This is not the case with the wifi, which was complex and had a fee.) I just used my hotspot from my Verizon service and because we had 4 bars, that worked just fine for streaming some Netflix that night.

We really like the place. Lots of neighbors, but everyone was very friendly, and no late partying. A few kids. But really, it was all very pastoral and nice. We'd stay here again.

Not all was perfect. Aside from the less-than-friendly wifi: 1) The sewer hookup is just an open pipe. No threads. A little stinky when you take the cover off.  2) It is almost literally right next to the interstate. There's no denying those traffic noise is real. We slept with no issues, but if traffic noise doesn't act like white noise for you…you might want to look somewhere else. We're lucky; but I know this is a deal-breaker for some.

They do offer a Good Sam discount of 10%, so with tax, we paid $34. Well worth it. Very nice stay.