Hawthorne, NEVADA

Most Recent Hawthorne Camping Reviews
Long dirt roads often carry you to super camping

Be prepared for a long bumpy ride but it's well worth it!

There are several areas/loops to camp.  Driving in you will cross over a bridge and just up and off to your right you will see the parking area for the hot springs.

To the left just after crossing the bridge is a road you can pull off on and there is excellent fishing.

I grabbed campsite #28.  There are fire rings and picnic tables. 28 also is close to one of the pit toilets and also has a path down to the river.  It's a bit of a steep grade down to the river but worth it for the solitude while fishing.

Was super quiet even though there were a few campers close by.

Great shade from the trees.

Quiet, calm, peacefull, a hidden gem

Don't confuse Lundy Canyon campground for Lundy Lakes Campground.

You will actually pass these sites if you head to Lundy Lakes Campground.

This location was suggested to me by a local who told me to just skip on past June Lake campground and some of the more popular ones and I can't even begin to tell you how glad I was to pass those up to come here.

The roads within the campground can be a bit rough,muddy,rocky so if taking a car just take it slow.

I was able to snag a great site, actually it was a double site but luckily no one claimed the joined site.  Was right on the Mill creek which made for some super fun fly fishing for wild brown trout.

Sites have picnic tables, bear boxes and fire rings.  There are pit toilets, did not see any water but there could be and I missed them.

Aspen groves were glorious, the owls at night were beautiful to listen to.

A great, relaxing, pretty unknown campground.

Peaceful Campsite

This secret campsite is located in a beautiful aspen grove! It is about 1/2 an hour from great hot springs. No cell service helps provide the off grid feeling.

Awesome Location

Amazing location! We camped across from the hot springs and got to watch the sunrise whilst enjoying hot springs. The dispersed camping offers many beautiful spots! The drive to the hot springs / campground can feel a little sketchy but really isn’t too bad.

Amazing!

We loved this cute family owned and operated RV Park! They have tent sites as well as full and partial hookup sites for RVs. Showers, restrooms and laundry were Immaculate. Property is beautiful and well manicured. This is a fantastic campground if you plan on visiting Yosemite as it is only 12 miles from the main entrance and about 1 mike from HWY 120. Staff were very helpful and friendly and make you feel so welcome. Thank you Beaver Family! So fun to see all of the travelers come in on foot or in their RVs from all over the World. The only reason this gets a 4 star review is site size and no wood fires. You are very close together with minimal room outside your trailer.

Beautiful Views, Windy & Tightly Packed

We stayed in tent site #4, aka “Extra Special Lakeshore Camping”. The views were absolutely incredible. The site site on a small promontory, affording you incredible sunsets across Bridgeport Reservoir. The drawback to this of course is that everyone has to walk right by your campsite to enjoy these views. Expect very limited privacy, friendly conversation, lots of it, and to meet every dog in camp. As the listing warns, the location also means extra exposure to wind and bugs. What the listing also says is that the site is (just) big enough for a large tent and EZ-up (shade structure), although it doesn’t mention what we were told upon arrival: due to winds coming off the reservoir at up to 60 knots, we were not allowed to rely on stakes and had to be present at all times when the shade structure was up.

Additional clarifications: The “dog beach” is ~30 ft long, and is the same beach the kayaks, SUP boards, and pedal boat are lunched from (and stored). In practice this is fine for playing fetch, but is not enough room for letting your dog run. Individual fire rings are not provided, so if you want a fire cozy up to the communal fire ring, which can get crowded on weekends, hopefully you’re not an introvert. Restrooms and showers are at the far corner of camp, ~1/8 mi away and up a small incline, not the easiest to get to for midnight wake up calls, or those with mobility limitations. FYI re: accessibility: the entire camp past the bathrooms is not firm & stable surface, and the restrooms are very tight with small stalls.

Otherwise the camp was great. We loved the free and easy access to boats. The communal kitchen was a nice convenience, particularly for washing dishes. The bathrooms were always very clean, and having free showers is awesome. The host’s local knowledge was very helpful, and pointed us to the right hot springs for the right day/time/weather. Finally, back to the view. It was great anytime of day, sunrise to sunset, even peeking out when hiding in the tent from the rain and bugs, the view really made the trip.

Awesome little getaway

8.5 miles of the main road, crossing the creek 5 times, we found the perfect little spot. Restroom was quite a distance from our campsite, so we opted for our own portable toilet. No showers available but boil some creek water and washcloth wipe yourself down, you're good to go. Also recommend getting a fire permit from the Bridgeport Ranger Station. No trash receptacles or bins…….so pack out your trash.

Quite and relaxing fishing lake

Really loved the drive in and this little lake. Good fishing and nice shady camp ground spots with amazing mountain views

Shhhhh! This beautiful campground is a well kept secret

Three major accidents put us way behind schedule on our way to find a site at Yosemite, Tioga Pass, and June Lake. Fortunately, I still prefer guidebooks and was able to find this site. Apparently it's not a well publicized spot because it's run by Mono County and not NPS or CSP. But the location is great: close to Mono Lake, Bodie, and away from the crowds at Yosemite. You have the sound of running water from the creek and Lundy Lake is nearby.

The weather is also perfect. On an August day, it never got hotter than 75 degrees during the day and the coldest it got was 26 degrees at night. If you need supplies, there is a resort further down with a very small mercantile, but it closes early. Your closest store is Mono Market in Lee Vining. Bring water or a filtration system because there is only a non-potable water spigot.

Quiet camping

Easy access. We were the only campers at the campground. Plenty of campsites both north and south of the campgrounds. If you don’t mind constant utv traffic (we didn’t 😎) then this is a great place. The outhouse was dirty with trash, but it didn’t stink nor were there any flies. There was a very conspicuous absence of wildlife in the area. The creek is only about 3 to 4 feet wide and around 2 feet deep. If you’re looking for a swimming hole, this is not that place 🙂.

Limited space

1. No flushing toilets

2. No water spigot

3. Limited space

4. Alpine lake is beautiful

5. In July picnic tables were still buried in snow

Quiet

Clean well maintained, campsite by the the creek or the hot springs. Bring your water to cook and drink there is no water hookup. Really enjoyed my stay there with my family and the hot spring were perfect.

Secluded camping

I’ve been going to Buckeye since I was a kid. It’s become a tradition in our family and I am excited to keep it alive. This is a great campground with several spots next the the creek. It has pit toilets and no longer has water spigots so make sure to bring your own water to cook and clean with. The dirt road up the mountain is a bit rough, but to me it is well worth it. The campground is quiet and out of the way, which is what camping should be!

Beautiful full of aspens!

This place is absolutely gorgeous!  Quite ,  little creek running through,  aspens all around,  high desert across the street amazing hikes lakes and beaver dams!  Waterfalls all within a short distance close to mono lake bodie ghost town,  and mono craters!

Breathtaking

Despite being adjacent to the highway, it is a quiet campground at night. Love the walk to the beach and seeing those dragonflies. We will definitely come back because Mineral County has so much history.

Hot Springs Central

Amazing campground. RV sites and tent sites. Best bathrooms you’ve ever seen at a campground. Hot showers and they even had lotion, disposable razors and Q-tips by the sinks. The camp hosts are super rad people and can tell you whatever you want to know about the area. They host bonfires on weekends which was really fun. It’s notably windy there, at least when we went. Being in tents it was a little challenging cooking sometimes, but it was worth it! I think next time we are just gonna go for one of their trailers for rent. All in all great views and great people.

Not to bad

Ok place. Near a lake and a casino. Dirty showers, no laundry and terrible WiFi.

Nice ...

Compact, sandwiched between upper and lower Robinson creek campgrounds. The last week of June the overnight temperature got down into the high-30s/lower-40s. For day-hiking, which is what we did, drive down to Annett’s Mono Village at the far end of the second lake and park in their lot at the edge of the lake. No charge for day-hiking, and this is where you’d start the trailheads up Horse Creek or to Barney Lake. I would certainly consider this campground again next time I want to visit Twin Lakes.

Enjoyable

You are allowed to camp on the road to the hot springs, there are several pull outs making it easy however there is no camping past a certain point (signs stating) and not at the springs. There is a pit toilet in the parking lot for the hot springs but not where you can camp. We were able to camp with our 19 foot trailer but I don’t think I would recommend anything larger.

Secluded Sites

Almost all of the sites on this campground are secluded from one another due to the density of the trees. There are bear boxes, a picnic, and a fire pit for each camp site.

Breath taking sunrise and very private

We stayed at the 20 mile beach camp site. As you make your way down the dirt road, the road will fork at the public trash bins. We headed right, and followed a dirt road down towards the lake. You will see a large round clearing, and that is where we set up our large Kodiak cabin style tent. The dirt road down to the site was a little bumpy. Maybe not suitable for low profile vehicles. We drove in in a Chevy pick up.

Bring mosquito repellent because there are tons of bugs. The lake is pretty dirty. There’s a lot of missy looking substance on it. My kids tried fishing, even though the fishing report stated fishing was not good. I have 9 and 11 year olds… They don’t like to reason when it comes to fishing, or “wetting a line” as they say.

The camp ground is mostly gravel and coarse sand. I had to use a heavy hammer to stake our tent. We didn’t see or hear any snakes. The nights were very pleasant. There is wildlife all around, but nothing kept us up at night. I was kind of hoping for some owl hooting, or coyotes, but I didn’t hear any. This site is also far enough from the road, where you really don’t hear the traffic. Make sure to step out, or open a window to enjoy the sunrise.

Perfect for the weekend getaway

Perfect campground to get away for the weekend. Almost every time I have been here we see lots of deer. Nice hiking trails, beautiful scenery.

Nice Free lakeside camp!

Dry camping right next to town. Good cell coverage and you can drive right up to the water. Looks like it may have been an established fee campground at some point.

Beautiful springs

Great little hotsprings in a relatively accessible spot. They are situated right by the creek and I loved how quiet and unused the area is. The canyon can get chilly (esp. in winter months) just get from your campfire to the springs to your tent quickly.

Big sites, decent privacy

Lots of sites strung along the road to Lundy Lake. Look for spots to turn off onto a dirt road parellel to the main road (Left if you’re going uphill). Sites are pretty well spaced and tucked in among the aspens. There are bear boxes and pit toilets. No reservations but I have always found a spot.

A hidden Gem

I mean… all these little mammoth lakes are hidden gems but I loved my time hiking into green lake around thanksgiving time. A little more difficult to get to but worth it. From the parking location it’s not too much of a hike to get to green lake. Day hike the the north facing lake if you’d like as well.

Offers something for everyone on a scenic lake

Besides the beautiful scenic lake spot that offers fun on the lake during the day and star gazing at night it’s a well ran campground with amentities. Has lots of camping style options between RV hook up spaces and non hookup. Also has tent spots. Great restrooms and showers. Moms with babies and toddlers would appreciate the restrooms. Showers are their own private room with space and a changing table. Camping spots are roomy and come with a fire pit. Campfires are allowed. Generators in RVs have to be off at 10 pm. Pets are allowed but need to be on a leash. Grass area for kids playing or throwing the ball or frisbee. Horse shoe game area. Big lake side beach. You can set up badminton or beach volleyball. Cell service is spotty at the campsite but oddly great on the beach and at the Lake.

Lake offers boating, fishing, paddle boarding, kayaking, jet skiing, and swimming. Boat launch and fish cleaning are a good distance from camp sites. Has a cleaning station for watercraft for invasive species.

This campground has a lot to offer. Pack the sun screen and the life jackets and have fun!

Quiet with large shaded sites within walking distance to river

Would love to go back with friends or for a quiet get-away!

This is a quiet, forest service campground just off Hwy 395 that is great for tent or camper (no hook-ups) camping. It's a medium sized campground that appears to rarely fill up. The sites are spaced well apart, among lots of pines with good shade on nearly every spot. You can hear the highway from most spots, but it's very quiet in the upper spots. There is at least one stream through the campground, flush toilets, water spigots, and a few large trash cans. There are fire rings, though you should check the fire regulations for your trip.

The Walker River is across the street, within easy walking distance. I saw a trail in the campground, but not sure how long or where it goes. Otherwise the main activity would be fishing/enjoying the river.

I really enjoyed the solitude, quiet, and mountainous surroundings!

All-time favorite campground

My family and I used to come here every year for a few weeks when I was growing up so it holds a special place in my heart. The setting is absolutely peaceful and serene here. We saw lots of wild life, including deer, who are not scared of humans at all!! Robinson Creek flows right though the middle of the campground and is a perfect place to do some trout fishing!! Bodie State Historic Park is an old ghost town nearby that is worth driving to. This campsite is great for families with kids. Bring your bikes, as there are a lot of paths to explore!

Fun for toys and great fishing!!

This campground is great for people who have trucks, campers and ATV’s/Mavericks/Sidewinders. Sites are large and far away from other sites. Great for large groups. Lots of dirt roads to explore!! Trout fishing is excellent!!