Standard (Tent/RV)
About Toohey Lake Rustic Campground

Toohey Lake Rustic Campground is a seven site campground with a boat launch and trailer parking.  It is right off of a well traveled forest road, making for easy access.

National Forest
No Pull-Through Sites
Max Length: 21 ft.
Toohey Lake Rustic Campground is located in Minnesota
Directions
From MN 61 in Tofte: Take Co 2 (Sawbill Trail) 15 miles north to FR 170 (The Grade). Turn left on FR 170 and drive 5 miles to Toohey Lake. Toohey Lake Rustic Campground is directly off FR 170 on the right.
4 Reviews of Toohey Lake Rustic Campground
Beautiful Lake

We stayed here in mid Sept. 2020. We had taken a spot at Four-Mile Lake but it was not near the lake, so the next day we walked the mile to Toohey, which had been full the day before. Some picnickers were in the site I wanted, but planning to leave soon. I stayed and kept the site occupied while my husband drove back and got our Rialta euro-camper. The bonus was our site at Four-Mile was quite large so we were able to let some folks who had a big family gathering take over our larger site!

Because of the covid virus camping popularity, there was a lot of competition for these free forest service sites. The NFS had also closed about half of their campgrounds. It was a constant stream of people driving by looking for a spot.

I loved our site. It was right on a nice stretch of lake shore, with a fire pit that had a great lake view. It was not level so it was a bit tricky leveling the RV, but that was the only down side. It's the first site you come to, off by itself away from the other 6 sites. Sure the trucks and campers were driving by in front of the site, but that didn't bother me.

The day we left, there was still a parade of campground seekers. A nice couple asked us if we were leaving that day and we told them to hang around for an hour or so, and they pulled right in when we left.

Off the beaten path

This rustic campground is deep in the Superior National Forest. It is free, quiet, and for those looking to get away from crowds.

Exploring the North

Cute rustic campground on Lake Toohey, near many more lakes and campgrounds in the Superior National Forest. Nice sized sites, about half have lake access, nearly all of them have direct views of the other sites in the campground- that’s a bummer in my book. There’s a single pit toilet near the entrance and dock, every site has a fire ring and picnic table. There’s no garbage pickup so pack out what you pack in! Also there was quite a lot of traffic while we were in the area for a couple weeks, but who could we blame for driving out to the forest like us? We just expected more quiet for how far in the middle of nowhere this place is. Definitely will be spending more time in the area, it’s beautiful up here.

Quiet little oasis

This rustic campground within the Superior National Forest is one of the many great options available in the area. There are 7 sites available, vault toilet and a boat launch. All the sites have a pull in area a tent pad spot an picnic table. I only stayed one night, but watching the sunset on the lake from my campsite was wonderful! It’s pretty easy to get too. I use Avenza Maps to keep track of my location in the North woods for piece of mind. It’s quiet campsites let you get lost inalienable the natural beauty around you.

Be careful in early summer, there were 4-5 turtles laying their eggs near the bathrooms. The mosquitos were crazy too. But, that’s Minnesota.