Orell , KENTUCKY

Most Recent Orell Camping Reviews
Clark state forestry

Nice ,but expensive

Perfect all around!

I’m on a month camping trek. This is the third place I’ve stopped in the past week. Beautiful area, tent camping and pull thru available. Camp hosts were knowledgeable, helpful, and kind. Store had everything I needed.

The place is beautiful with river view and valley overlooking sunsets every night. Options of wooded or open concept sites. Picnic tables and fireplaces were in good shape. Thunderstorms came though the night by noon everything was dry and perfect.

Everyone in the store when I arrived was welcoming. Answered all my questions. The have fishing licenses available, along with hunting.

Be aware it is a Marina, this said if fishings your deal everything your looking for in the store. If you’re used to being spoiled in state park camp stores, they have wood and ice and food and coffee. Don’t bank on them have that last minute toothbrush you forgot.

This being said the shower house was immaculate. Been camping since I was six months old. Don’t remember all the shower houses but I’ve never seen one this clean and well maintained.

For sure will be visiting again!
Excellent family camping

One of my family's favorite places to go camping. Tons of room for the kids to roam and explore, so many playgrounds they're almost a tripping hazard, and free firewood. We like camping in "Deer Lake" #s 405-408 and "Timberlake" #s 315-318. (Deer Lake is electric, Timberlake is not.)

Water spigots are plentiful, and the campground has maybe a dozen large pavilions you can reserve for free, or scurry into in case of a pop up shower. I've already mentioned the playgrounds, and in addition there's a waterfall, old steel bridge with a connected spiral staircase, and even a village of tiny houses. They recently installed a BMX track, but made the mistake of using large gravel to "pave" it--it's too soft and nearly impossible to ride on quickly.

The only real knock I can give the place is that the sites are REALLY small, and some are not so level--I strongly advise you get at least two to gain separation from your neighbors. They're also sticklers about the numbers of tents on each site--they'll allow more than one but WILL make you pay for each. Sites are not prepped (no tent pads), and have no fire rings so prepare accordingly.

There is a decent creek (Little Blue) and a pond (Deer Lake) you can fish, but I've never managed to pull anything bigger than a small sunfish from the creek, and I've never seen anyone pull anything at all from Deer Lake, including myself. Deer Lake does provide excellent sunsets across the water though.

Overall, with the free firewood and all of the features to occupy the kids, this place is a winner for families. If they'll start giving campers a little more room and would improve the sites a little, it would be perfect.

Nice hidden spot

This is a hidden little gem in the bustle of Louisville. We visited in the off season and during COVID. But the staff were friendly, grounds were clean, sites are very close together. We were happy to spend the night and know we were safe and tucked in. Our son loved the jump pillow, I gave it a try and my knee has been reminding me all day that I’m too old for that!! We would definitely stay again.

Our Very First Night In A RV

This place could do no wrong (we all remember our first time, right?). The staff were very kind and helpful. Propane filling is not intuitive. Very pretty campground.

Local with a twist of Nature

Close to home and close to nature. Overall this campsite is amazing in the sense that its in a very natural setting. The firepit is pretty huge and you can cook on it real easy. By request, you can have firewood delivered here. Would go back.

The KT earns its nickname 'little AT'

The KT is rugged and has lots of elevation gains over short distances. Everywhere you hike there are lovely vistas and lots of fossils on the trail snd creek beds. You're never too far from water, although the quality may differ depending on the time of year.

Watch out for ticks. My dogs and I got loads of them in April 2020 from Leota to Spurgeon Hollow. There are road crossings every 5 to 10 miles, so if you run out of something or need to bail you can. The KT asks that you respect leave no trace philosophy, and I felt most hikers did.

There is occasional trail magic but don't depend on it if thru hiking. I have not stayed in any campgrounds near the trail, so I can't review those, but the trailheads all have adequate parking and signage, and I found topo maps online for free.

Let someone know your itinerary, have a means for filtering water, and enjoy!

Near Caves

I stayed on late October and I was the only one there, except for a family on the cabins. The spots are just near and walking distance from the caves and other attractions. They have two potable water spots (so no water on each spot), picnic tables, fire rings, grills and every spot faces the little river. restrooms and showers too. You can bring small pets inside the cave if you carry them all time. I have a small zuchon and carry her in a doggy backpack 🎒 she loved it!

Charlestown State Park

Went here for a day hike and it was an absolute treat.

Small sites but very clean!

Camp sites are pretty small, but are aligned along a small stream. Heavy truck and train traffic can be heard at all hours. Sites equipped with electricity, a gazebo & picnic table, and fire pit. Camp store, cave tours, gift shop, and other pay activities are within steps of camping, but only open until 5:00. No security or staff at all after hours. Bath house was heated, extremely clean with flush toilets, and continual hot water. City water access in the middle of the campsite. Play area and 2 large covered areas for get together's. Newer cabins looked very nice from outside. Caves are obviously a must see while there. More caves are within driving distance.