Climax , IOWA

Most Recent Climax Camping Reviews
Nice stop on our way to Kansas

We needed an overnight stop on our way to Kansas and this KOA was perfect. We pulled in just after dark and there was a note on the door stating staff was limited due to Covid. We pulled into a very large pull through on the west side of the campground (site 16). The KOA was pretty full but everyone was respectful and we didn’t hear much noise. We had full hookups & the site we were in was spacious with a picnic table and fire ring with grate. It had rained quite a bit before we arrived so we didn’t sit outside, due to mud close by our site, but we had a nice view. The next morning, we paid at the office before we left & the Manager only charged us half price (we intended to pay the full price) because he felt bad for not being able to be on site when we arrived (the schedule on the KOA app said staffed until 7pm & we were there just after 6pm).

Free and primitive

This site is $0 is nice quite area right off main highway camp sites are first come first serve

We stop here when we're traveling through

We always stop here when we're traveling on I-80. It's the perfect distance for us to overnight before moving on. Clean campground, showers/bathroom. Courteous employees. Lots of activities for the kids. We've stopped on a couple of holidays& a reservation is a must! They are very busy! Easy on, easy off means some highway noise from I-80. It looks like they're putting in new sites for longer RVs. We camped at West Omaha/ NE Lincoln KOA Holiday in a Travel Trailer.

Some of the Best Hiking in Southeast NE

I love Platte River State Park; there are accommodations for every type of camper - cabins, RV, privative - hell they even have teepees!

On top of the excellent camping offered, they have a wealth of amazing hiking / biking trails that traverse through some amazing scenery. Just like the camping, you can pick between the less intensive paved walkways or you can walk along the hilly bluffs that contour the Platte River.

A great place to crash for the night

Arrived out of Denver. We crashed here for the Night. Key was in the night drop. It was quiet and the amenities looked nice but we really were only here for about 6 hours. Would recommend as a great place to crash just off the interstate so easy access in/out.

2 trains in the night

As with all KOAS they’re always near a main road or freeway so there was noise from cars passing - but becomes white-noise so was okay. There were 2 trains in the night - but we were able to fall asleep again. Other than that - clean tent sites, restrooms with showers and nice staff, oh and a huge bump in the ground that was a bouncy trampoline that all kids were having a marvelous time on. We’d go again.

Please note: the entrance from the road needs extra lighting - please be extra careful when entering!

Great little hiking park

Been coming to this place on and off for years. They have several hiking trails of different skills inside the preserve. There is a couple look out points of the Loess Hills as well as a educational visitors center. There is a rv camping site, as well as cabins that can be rented. There also 2 types of tenting as well. There is the walk up sites near the cabins, and also a few hike in camp sites.

Mahoney review

My buddies and I rented cabin in the area. Lots of options when it comes to cabins tent areas and RV pads. There is enough here to keep you busy for a long time my favorite is the eagles nest you can see miles down the river. If you have a family I would strongly recommend a visit. Might be biased due to having a bunch of birthday parties here growing up but it’s one of my favorite places to take my son. Photos are taken from river looking at Mahoney.

A true outdoorsmen and fisherman's paradise

This place is a private, and quiet area. You almost get a vibe at first that your somewhere you shouldn't be. Than you get a look at that lake and forget about it. Charity lake sits in between or in a valley of hills. You see these hills with all this plush green trees around this lake. I can only imagine what this place looks like in the fall with the different color of foilage. There is a dirt road that takes you to the other side of the lake, but not much there. The campsites aren't really anything, but a fire ring. But for primitive campers that's all you need. There is a out house there, and that's about it. This place is not for the faint of heart, but there is a lot of beauty in nature. But I will tell you I am already planning a trip to this place with my oldest here.

Back to the basics

Large park over 3,000 acres, plenty of hiking trails to enjoy. I really didn't see any trails suitable for bicycling, if biking around RV sites its very hilly and hard to ride. Forget about wifi, hard to find if you can find it at all and no attena tv, your really out in the middle of nowhere, but its a nice park to get away . Only downside, with 134 RV sites there is only one dump station, just dont get in a hurry leaving if you have to dump your RV.