Cos Cob, CONNECTICUT
Most Recent Cos Cob Camping Reviews
Lots of things to do nearby.

Disclaimer- it's not actually in Newburgh or NYC. Its located in Ulster County. It's a convenient place to de-winterize and ensure all systems are working as it's actually in my town. Some sites are hard to get into and others are in more of a large parking lot, but I think that is for workers for local pipeline companies. They have been working on upgrades and adding more patio sites which does improve the place. They have lots of things to do for the kids and a fishing pond as well. Trips are organized to NYC and it's about a half hours drive to a metro north station if you wanted to take a train South. Not far from SUNY New Paltz, local wineries and apple orchards and it's a reasonable drive to Walkway over the Hudson and the bike baths that connect to it. It is located on a quiet road, however the property backs up to the NYS Thruway.

Owners Kids are ruining this Beautiful Campground

I stayed here for 1 season and loved it at first. The owners Ray and Irene were the sweetest most helpful couple. You could tell they took pride in the property they have owned for more than 50 years.  When we first got there  we were planning on coming back every year but then we met their sons and grandson and had never been more disappointed. They were taking over the property and ruining the entire experience. They were rude, disrespectful, and arrogant. The rules were constantly changing  but no one could provide anything in writing .  The rates went up  but the service and ammenities went down . We came to a place like this to get away from people like that. It's very unfortunate that customer service just isn't a priority anymore. I would recommend going to Riverdale, Wolf's Den or even Chatfield Hollow where they have no amenities but the experience will be great.

A great little bit of camp in Brooklyn!

Gateway is perfect for camping when you don’t need a big adventure, just a well crafted little one. Located in Brooklyn, it was a natural choice when I took my group of scouts who were between the ages of 3-5, so in case of emergencies, or kids who freak out about tent sleeping, getting home or other resources is easy. Once in the sites, the foliage and layout perfectly cuts out the city, so it feels like real woods camping. And the beach nearby, visitor center, trails, and other amenities means you always hav something to do. Special highlight, the aviation museum!

I highly recommend it if you’re camping with little kids or if you just want an easy relaxing weekend when you can pop up a tent, hang a hammock, and not have to worry about packing for a big trip.

Cabins & trails are great!

Stayed in a cabin on the lower loop. Went hiking all day. Kinda close together sites, but the trails make up for it.

Fun Peaceful Retreated

It is awesome!! I am not a camper, not even glamper, but it was so beautiful clean and wonderful! Sheets towels Pendleton blankets, ocean breezes. Campfire evenings, and exploring days! Bathrooms were immaculate and private. Kent our host was terrific and so competent. Go go GO!!!!

Findly, Claudia A

Amazing

Who would guess in the middle of New York, you could walk the beach in solitude, ride a bike along the boardwalk for a lobster dinner or just relax in a comfy bed falling asleep to the sound of waves breaking on the shore? You can take a ferry ride past the Statue of Liberty and Coney Island over to the 911 Memorial or go shopping in downtown New York, then head back to a camp- fire with s’mores to watch the sunset over the ocean. And best of all, the sunny days; just hanging around on the warm sand or swinging in a hammock with a cool breeze. (Every Tent has a hammock too). Great fun for us oldsters as well as the youngsters!

The best thing about visiting NYC

Never have I slept so well while camping! Not only are the beds ridiculously comfortable but you fall asleep listening to the ocean. There is a camp fire every night where people gather around to share food, star gaze and make new friends. Staff is super friendly and helpful- they suggested tons of places to eat and local activities..like a lobster boil. I went for 3 nights but could have stayed for a week. I love it and can't wait to return this summer!

Beach cozy and so much to explore..👍🏼

When we arrived at Camp Rockaway last August for a 4 day stay, with a 9 yr old and a 12 yr old granddaughters we were so excited to be able to stay on the beach and not leave. Loving the ocean every day and exploring the beach early every morning was such a gift. We were having such great times that we even ventured into the city by ferry one day finishing off by delicious ice cream on the beach with s’mores at the campsite fire pit. What a perfect place to stay and enjoy the out doors with all the emenities of hot showers,comfy beds,and a wonderful staff to help with anything you need. We are so looking forward to another stay this August as well. Thank you Camp Rockaway for this fantastic concept you brought back from the early 1900’s. Bravo….👍🏼❤️😎

First stay August 2018 with 2 granddaughters

My wife and I brought 2 of our granddaughters to Camp Rockaway in August 2018. We came during the week, we had the beach to ourselves and we didn't have to go home at night - we stayed right there in very cool tents with Queen Beds. Our tent was back to back with the girls (ages 9 & 12), close enough but not too close for these "grown up" girls. There was anther family staying with 4 kids and we had a great time cooking out with them and playing board games at night under the common tent. Coffee in the morning was ready early and we walked to everything including restaurants. The water temp was great, especially compared to our New Hampshire beach temps, and the body surfing was awesome. We've already booked for the same week in August 2019; we and our granddaughters can't wait to come back - hard to believe you're in New York City!!!

glamping heaven!

Camp Rockaway is absolute heaven for the urban/beach glamper!!!! Whether escaping the grind in Brooklyn with your "energetic" twins (as we were), returning to the City for a holiday weekend (as we do now!), or looking for a romantic getaway (one day we'll be those people again!) - everything is perfect!

Tents/beds are super comfortable and well appointed (you feel like you're in a photo shoot); bathrooms/showers are immaculate; the campfire is magical, with endless s'mores and the hush of waves; and you feel like the luckiest people alive with early-morning runs and bike rides before the rest of the "world's greatest city" has arrived to the beach. The hosts are super attentive and helpful - and, well, all around fantastic folks - the kind of people you want to camp with!

As you pack up to schlep the sandy mess home at the end of a perfect beach day, just imagine if you were heading a few steps away to a private shower, and then getting cozy to watch the stars appear next to a crackling fire. My kiddos said they had the "time of their lives" after our first stay. Camp Rockaway delivers.

Been camping here for years

Pros:

1. You can get a VERY large site that easily fits 3 tents.
  2. The area is lovely and the people in the area are really nice too.
  3. There is a lake across the street where you can paddle, swim, etc… (free to campers)
  4. The showers are free and the water is usually warm.
  5. True, there are cows on the farm hill… but I think that's nice.
  6. If you go during the week the place is a ghost town.

Cons:

1. True, there are skunks and other animals that are residents and they are prolific.
  2. True, the bathrooms are usually unclean, they run out of tissue, there is only 1 shower for the entire bathroom AND they clean them right when people are waking and need to pee (between 7-8).
  3. True, people drive too fast on the road between the campground and lake AND in the campground.
  4. The recycling and garbage truck will wake you around 6-7 am.
  5. I would never camp here on a weekend…. it is a party place then.
  6. True, the people who work there have lots of arbitrary rules (like you may not tie ANYTHING to trees) but they don't follow through on the important ones like drinking and quiet times.

Truly, it's a lovely place but I'm not sure that you couldn't find better. I like Lake Waramaug for a large group during the week… otherwise, I'd pass.

A very tired campground. Full of problems and inconsistencies.

This campground changed in the last few years, but not for the better. It is apparent that the manager does not like campers. If you have a tent, you are treated ok, until you violate one of their endless rules. Then they have the police escort you out.. If you have a pop-up or anything above the ground on wheels they make your life miserable and prevent you from camping in the front row where the sites are larger, level, and have a lake view. Bathrooms are dirty and uncared for, toilet paper is non-existent in the afternoon. Alcohol is not allowed but is poorly enforced. Quiet hours are not enforced. Two cars per site is not enforced. Loud Boomboxes are the norm. People using the lakeside state park walk through your campsite to go use the campground bathroom and showers - hence the toilet paper issue in the bathroom. Unfortunately, some of those day picnickers think your stuff is free for the taking. NEVER LEAVE YOUR STUFF UNGUARDED. The numerous skunks are an unwelcomed camp amenity. Watch your children, cars go racing through the campground! If you are looking for stress free and peaceful, this is not the place. It is party central on the weekends.The staff leaves at random times, either 3 pm, 5 pm or 9 pm and then you are on your own. But don't worry, there is a sometimes functioning emergency phone outside the camp office. Oh yes, and there is no cell service in that area. Have fun. But I'm not going back. Are you sure you want to camp here?

Mountain Lakes is a beauty

A gorgeous piece of land that contains lakes, a lookout and Mt. Bailey, the highest point in Westchester County. A dirt road loops through the property with trails off and through it. No facilities that I can think of, but there are a few lean-to’s scattered off the looping road.

Relaxing get away to clear your mind or just enjoy the outdoors

Sebago cabins the way to get away and relax enjoy the lake 🎏 you can go hiking they also have movie nights they do big bon 🔥 on Saturday very kid friendly ranger Joe is 👌 with the kids and they have 🔥 wood for purchase on site most cabins have 2rooms with 4cots but some are larger inside has a full fridge and double hot plate outside a 🔥 pit and grill with table

Absolutely loved! Great lake and campsite

This was beautiful campground with an even nicer lake. You are able to do a hike around the lake. They have both cabins for rent and camping spots on platforms which are great, especially when it rains. You can also rent canoes and take them out on the lake for an afternoon activity. Highly recommend if you are in the area!

Amazing lake! But on the pricier side...

Sebago has a huge lake and great beach area. It was perfect for lounging and swimming in during a hot summer day. We were able to rent a cabin which was equipped with an outside grill and picnic area. It is great if you are going with a group/family and people want to sleep inside a cabin as oppose to a tent outside. It was definitely more on the pricier end for just a weekend camping getaway, however, because of the cabins and nicer amenities.

Camping for Active Military and Veterans only

Unfortunately for me, Round Pond is camping reserved for active and retired military personnel only. We drove through and the whole space is rather large. There are several signs everywhere making it clear that it is only for military. The same is true for Lake Frederick another nearby campsite. Similar to Lake Frederick campsite, Round Pond had a beautiful lake that would be very ideal for a hot summer day. 2 Stars only because I was not able to camp here but the grounds looked nice!

Only for Active Military and Veterans

Unfortunately for me, Lake Frederick is camping reserved for active and retired military personnel only. We drove through and the whole space is rather large. There are several signs everywhere making it clear that it is only for military. The same is true for Round Pond Recreation Area, another nearby campsite. The lake is quite beautiful and I wish I had the chance to camp here. 2 Stars only because I was not able to camp here but the grounds looked nice!

Large Group Reservations Only

We were NOT able to camp at Henry Kauffman. While this is listed as a campsite on the Dyrt map, it is important to note that this site is only for large group reservations though organizations such as YMCA and JCC. While it seems like a great place to send kids in the summer, do not expect to set up a tent. I showed up and the gate was closed. Definitely recommend checking out the website first… https://www.camphkc.org/

Primitive, hike in only

Harriman State Park offers primitive camping only. You biggest downside is that you have to hike in about a mile or two to get to the various sites. The advantage of this is that you are already on the trail and you will be far enough from car/street noises. There are several camping options once you begin hiking in. Make sure to bring enough supplies to last for your trip as it is a bit of a hassle to have to hike back out to your car.

Spread out. Raised platforms a big plus

The biggest positive about Beaver Pond is how spread out it was. You definitely feel like you have your own space and are not camping on top of your neighbor. Many of the camping options were on platforms which is especially nice if it recently rained or if you are expecting rain during your stay. I also particularly enjoyed the communal sink which made it very convenient and easy to wash dishes and fill up water.

Nice beachside campground

The campsite is a nice campground for easy access to the beach (Long Island sound) and if you want to go to the Long Island wineries. The proximity to those two things make it a popular destination for city folk who don’t understand the proper decorum for a campground. Music starts blasting early here.

Great local spot

This is a great local spot that I love to go to get out of the city for a little bit. There’s elevation gain, creeks, and open fields for stargazing. You have the options of a lean to here.

Woodsy but old

We stayed at this campground a few years ago for a friend’s birthday. There are a lot of activities and amenities. The sites were ok, some are larger than others. The bathrooms weren’t very clean, but I think they are doing renovations. It does give you the feeling that you’re in a real campground though.

Close to the city

This is one of my favorite places to go camping with friends. It is so close to the city and has easy access to all the wonderful things in the area. It is also incredibly beautiful in the fall and can be combined with delicious apple picking. Try and go ahead and reserve in advance a private site, otherwise the group sites are great for meeting new people.

Amazing!

Lacking in privacy

I stayed at Beaver Pond Campground in Harriman State Park for two nights with my husband. We chose this campground because of its close proximity to Schunemunk Mountain. We found a lovely 6.4 mile lollipop/loop route hike that weekend, complete with beautiful rolling meadows, gradual hills, and steep climbs.

Due to some mentally-draining traffic on the way, we arrived to the campground around 9:30pm. The camp office was closed, but we were able to check in at the ranger station across the parking lot. At the ranger station we were greeted by a bunch of spiders in their webs. I'm not going to lie, I freaked out! Once we were all checked-in, the ranger explained the usual rules (quiet hours are from 10pm-7am, check out by 11am, etc.). A rule that he made sure to stress was that no alcohol is allowed in the campground.

Harriman State Park is located in a densely-forested area, and there is very little light pollution, so we didn't notice until the morning how little privacy there is between sites. There are hardly any trees within the campground, and you can see and hear just about everything. We had some rowdy neighbors, so it was a long night.

We stayed in a regular tent site, but there was also the option of sites with platforms. Each site had a picnic table and fire ring. The campground had restrooms with flush toilets and showers. There were a good amount of insects crawling around in the restrooms, including what we think were ticks. The showers were a bit dirty and old-looking. However, the showers were free and hot, so I won't complain. :)

My 3-star rating mainly stemmed from the noise an major lack of privacy.

Sandy Hook is a plesant campground with great rangers working there

Very reasonable rates to pitch a tent. You get a private space with a fire pit. Ocean is close with lifeguards. Good fishing and pleasant people. Boat from New York City.

Great Location.

Great Location Clean Park.

Total Enjoyment 50 Years & Still Coming

Everyone come here from newbie camper along side senior campers We been camping for too many years with our children & grandchildrens & now as seniors we still enjoy camping with a few new tricks We’ve an electric air mattress which we hook up to a converter and a separate battery to sleep comfortable on a queen size bed along with nightstand & lamp with timer,we put down rubber tiles for a smooth floor to stand & walk across We’ve our own toilet & sink inside We’ve solar lights around the platform around the table setting and around our tent at night We’ve our chairs & table set up in the back of the tent Incase it rain We’ve hot and cold running water at our sink along with our Coleman stove and portable oven on top our compact kitchen cabinets with our pots and pans utensils cups plates and all the comforts of home we first started out camping with sleeping bag & tent on the ground we was younger than now older & wiser & we give advice to everyone that comes over to see our campsite We’re thinking about a small portable Jacuzzi not sure if were allowed to have one yet but we’ve everything else 🤗