The best TENT SITES camping near
Johnson Village , COLORADO

Most Recent Johnson Village Camping Reviews
Walk from camp to climb!

The Banks campsites are perfect if you’re climbing at Shelf Road. You can hike from the campsite. There are vault toilets that are clean and have toilet paper. One vault toilet part way on the hike to the walls did not have TP.

One downside- there was a lot of old dog poo around our campsite, but that was the only con. Fire ring and picnic table provided.

$7/night pay with envelope at the exit to the camp area loop.

1-2 bars of ATT 2-3 bars of Verizon

Would definitely stay here again!

Beautiful sites on a river

Great sites, spaced out nicely. Road can be rough right at the end. Will need a high clearance vehicle. No fish in the river due to mine contamination. Lots of free dispersed camping a little further up the road.

Limited winter access

I drove up this past weekend for some mid January winter camping and was not disappointed. The road appeared to be rarely traveled and it took some effort just to get my Tacoma to the start of the dispersed camping with no hopes of making it further down the road due to deep snow. Plenty of firewood and gorgeous views, will definitely be returning when it’s a little warmer out.

Amazing views

Stayed here back in June and it was incredible. Was easy to get up there in my Subaru but I could see it being a bit difficult if you were in a 2WD vehicle. Campsites were clean and had incredible views. There wasn’t a lot of people there but everyone was very spread out. It was also extremely quite. I believe it was $15 for an overnight campsite and $5 for day use. I HIGHLY recommend Kite Lake. Will definitely be back!

Beautiful Place

I went here with my boyfriend and some family and it was so peaceful. All the trees on the campground make you feel like there really isn’t anyone else nearby. The best part is Twin Lake is only a short drive away. Great Lake for kite flying too!

Lots of options

There are extensive sites in the area for all sizes of rigs.  There is plenty of room and easy access for large rigs or tent camping.  FR 272 is the main road in but there are several spur roads, 273 and 274 that have plenty of options also.  One problem is that this area is well known and is becoming very popular.  On weekends, there may be more than 50 campers in the area.

Because of the overuse some sites are getting, the forest service is starting to fence some sites in so they don't grow in size.  The are working towards camping in designated sites only because so many campers are just trashing the area.

The hiking is good with several trailheads and easy access to the Colorado Trail.

Best Campsite Yet

We got an amazing site here, best we’ve had in Colorado! Note that there aren’t a ton of good sites, so if you don’t show up early you might be out of luck. I think we got there Friday before noon and got one of the last decent sites. I still have not seen stars as pretty as I saw here. The reservoir is about 10 minutes driving down the dirt road (highly recommend a sunrise visit). Hiking nearby too. All first come sites with no fire grates or tables. Very secluded sites.

I mean, look at these pictures of the reservoir.

Most Pleasant Campsite I Have Been!

We took a buddies trip in October and it was the perfect spot for a getaway! Highly recommend and will be returning to this site in the future!! From Nich, Aaron, and Anthony From New Mexico!!

Perfect

In between mountains, tall pines and rivers, does camping get any better? Close to everything you need but you will feel away from it all.

Great wooded campground

Very friendly staff, beautiful wooded campground with small pond. Plenty of shade. Great base camp to go explore lake Isabel and crested butte and black canyon.