Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre, and Gunnison National Forests , COLORADO

Camping Colorado Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre, and Gunnison National Forests

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre, and Gunnison National Forests Camping Reviews
Very nice and clean!

We were only here for one night but would definitely stay here again!

They have a large facility with RV sites, look liked some small cabins to rent, restaurant, laundry mat and probably some other things we didn’t get a chance to see. Also had propane fill-up on site. It is conveniently located along the river north of town. The river has a walking trail which leads to the hot springs and town.

The hosts were super nice and easy to communicate with. They text you all the information after you make your reservation which was super helpful. The location is super clean and well maintained.

Simple, nice, no one around

Right off the highway. There’s maybe one campsite and a large parking lot. There are bathroom facilities, a couple picnic tables and fire pits, and it’s along the river.

We are in a 25 ft class C RV. No one else was here so it was nice and cozy.

We have a weboost cell booster which is giving us ATT and Verizon a bar or two of LTE.

Lucky find!

On a roadtrip from Houston to Vegas.. my darling fiancée and I had planned on stopping in crested butte but couldn’t manage to make it there in time and we just so happened to find this campsite along the road we were traveling and good lord I’ve never been so happy with a campground!!!!! One of my favorite stays along this week long trip!

Only downside was that it was very close to the road but that’s not enough for me to take down a star! Easy self pay right up front, bathroom, nice trails, and the views here were unlike anything I’d seen off the side of any old road!

The pictures are amazing but they still do no justice!!

Campsite was clean, there was only 1 other camper, few was just $12(if I recall correctly) and honestly I would paid well over that amount for this spot!

Each campsite has a small trail behind it that leads to a river with a towering cliff on the other side. Yes… I went to all the campsites and went through all their little hidden trails to see which one had the prettiest sights and I tell you what.. they were all amazing! Especially this one that had rocks that you could walk on out over the water. It was a campers dream 😍

I would and have been suggesting this spot to anyone traveling through Gunnison, CO!!!

Lots of Dispersed options

Miles of FS roads right off the main park entry road, 347, before you reach the park entrance.  Roads are pretty rough, but pick a site not too far along if you have a trailer.  I would not suggest trying to drive your class C or A in here-go into the park and pay for a spot.  Check conditions-muddy or snowy would definitely make access tough.  I went to watch the Leonids meteor shower (sad showing) and found a great spot open to the sky.  Plenty of spots with shade as well.  Endless hiking along the roads.

Please leave your site cleaner than you found it.

Perfect weather in October!

Drove out with some friends from Kansas in early October this year and the views and weather was Amazing! Campsite has “fees” through an honor system so you no host to worry about you come and camp as you go here. Place has fire pits bathrooms! One of my favorite spots to camp in Colorado so far.

Camping just steps from downtown

Context is everything. This is a campground right at the edge of town, this is not a off-in-the-wilderness location. If you want to camp steps from top class restaurants and bars, you can't beat this place.

After four days on the road in very remote locations, our goal was to not cook or have to start the car even once and have a cheap place to stay in Telluride. Bingo. What a great facility. We got a great spot along the creek, deep in the trees where we could hang our hammocks, and close to the bridge into town. Showers and bathrooms were clean and safe to use in these days of COVID.

Only downside was the clumsy and time consuming process to reserve online. Well worth it.

Great Campground

Awesome little campground! I needed a place to stop for the night and this was perfect. The river is beautiful and full of fish. It’s a longer drove down the dirt road to get here than I expected to if you come, keep going. There are several camping spots along the road which would be cool as well, but the actual campground is at the end, right where the marker says it is. I’m by myself but there are a couple greats spots for group camping as well. Very quiet and peaceful. And as always, totally free! I would recommend this spot as a great overnight stop, easily accessible but off the beaten path enough to not be crowded.

Beautiful Dispersed Camping Near MTB Trails

Travel a few miles down Brush Creek Trail. After passing Strand Hill MTB trail you will get to a split in the road. The left turn will take you up a deeply rutted 4WD road towards Teocalli Ridge MTB trail. Lots of beautiful camping on this road. But it can be tough sledding when it is wet. If you stay to the right you will get to a flat where many people will camp. You can get a smaller RV/Trailer/Sprinter here very easily. If you are intrepid - and have a good 4WD with some clearance - you can continue through the creek and up the hill where superb, quiet dispersed camping exists.

So close to town

Small campground and the spots are close together. But, hey, you are along the river and just minutes to town. Well worth it.

Campsites and Dispersed Available

This review is for the dispersed camping just beyond the campsite. The campsite is small but right along the beautiful lake. But it was all filled up by the time we got there. We moved another mile or two up the road and had some beautiful dispersed camping. In these COVID days, Colorado is overrun with campers but this was still very nice and quiet. Note to those who are new to camping/Colorado…don't drive out onto the tundra. Not cool. Plenty of places to camp without damaging the tundra along the two splintering roads, each of which terminate not too far from the lake. The lake is gorgeous and filled with trout. Also great for paddle boards and other small non motorized boats. This lake definitely gets busy after 10am. The road up can be a little rough, but you can get a decent sized camper or small trailer up.