Gleneagle, COLORADO

The #1 Camping App

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Gleneagle Camping Reviews
Super busy but great for dogs

This is a location that you only camp if you literally don't have any worries about being around people. It is ALWAYS packed due to the tons of hiking trails, huge dog park, and water access.

I taught kayaking to little ones here and it was always a fight to get into the park, get to the water, and not get run over by boats and unexperienced (or entitled) people.

The campground is well maintained but it sit really worth being able to be basically in a metropolitan city? For me I'll go somewhere more nature friendly and less crowded.

BUT it is excellent for dogs. We love taking out dogs here because they can play in water, run their hearts out, and hang out with other dogs. It is pricey to get into the park though. $80 for a year pass to the state parks and another $25 for the dog park fees.

This is a permanent residence park

This is a park for people who live in trailers and RV's that want to stay stationary for a while. You are not allowed to stay if you are staying for less than 5 days. It is for longer stays and is in the middle of Englewood which is busy and crowded. There isn't a nature feel at all in the area. You are right off a main road.

This is a permanent residence location

This is a mobile home park, which means that it is a stationary trailer park and some RV's have taken up permanent residence here and it isn't a location where you can pull into to camp for the night.

A small price for freedom

If you enjoy panoramic views of the Rockies, drive in dispersed camping and putting your off-roading skills to the test, this dispersed campsite is a must visit! My 9 yr old son and I happened upon this mountain top paradise somewhat by accident. We were looking for a less challenging day hike with low traffic and decided to try the Mt. Herman trailhead. My ever burning desire for a view and solitude lead us up Mt. Herman rd to the location I marked on the map for this listing. Access was challenging, even with our 4x4 Jeep seeing as there was pretty deep snowfall accumulation, steep grades, and hairpin switchbacks heading up. However in warmer seasons this would be easy access for most stock 4x4 vehicles. No lift necessary, just a desire for the boundless views afforded at the summit. There are multiple pull offs, relatively low traffic aside from the occasional off-roading convoy passing through spreading merriment and good cheer. There are some really cool fire ring setups and plenty of epic views to make your own. If Colorado’s what you want, here’s a great place to experience the back country without having to drive for hours to access it. We had a blast! Please ALWAYS remember, be Kind & rewind!! Wait… wrong slogan😅 LEAVE NO TRACE & PACK IT OUT! Thanks & have fun! Photos are in my phone, I’ll update with photos… sure to amaze! 😉✌🏾

Top of the world Ma!!

My 9 yr old son and I have been “jeeping” around Colorado for about 8 months now. We make it a point to wake up to a different view every day. We discovered Rampart range rd through the grapevine and decided to give it a shot. Man oh man was it worth it! Surprisingly, given the current covid-19 hysteria and the locations close proximity to the springs, we expected it to be awash with modern day “prospectors” looking for a place to roll out their “social distancing” plan. There were none! We had a peaceful quiet night and crisp sunny morning sans disturbance. The road to the sites is pretty washboarded out but affords access your the sites for both 4x4’s and grocery getters alike, RV campers may not be able to find a level, accessible site at this time of year (Mid-March) as the main roads are maintained but the pull offs don’t appear to be. We definitely recommend it for soloists, couples, tent campers, Jeep/van campers or even hammock campers as there are plenty of trees to hang from.

Day trip for sledding

As a family from Texas, we don’t get a lot of snow in our neck of the woods, so this was a real treat. We hit up the Peak View day use trail head and had an absolute blast. The snow was perfect, the hill was fast and the views were amazing!!! Kinda wish we had made the trip to camp up here instead of just a day trip!! There’s also less oxygen at 9000’ than there is in Denton, Texas. Haha

Great campground!

Great level campground. Water and restrooms well distributed. Roomy spaces. Close to town with small grocery.

The projects of RV living

This place is the epitome of ghetto , 98% of residents live there permantly ,the night we got there the water was frozen at the hydrant we didn't have water for weeks the next day we were headed  to shower and the manager Ronda was yelling from her house totally intoxicated saying we can't use the showers they are for cabin and tent sites only but the website advertised restrooms and showers but they don't tell you till you get there. The owner Duane came knocking late at night also intoxicated or high maybe both yelling saying not to hook up to the hydrant untill we winterize it,  this hydrant was a shared hydrant with the trailer behind us and we learned they have been living there for over a year they should have been responsible for winterizing it . We had to drive 10miles to the truck stop and pay 12.00 to shower. We were there for a job the other RV parks were 30 miles out of town. We also we informed that that hydrant has froze several times in the past and they were trying to blame us  and said we owe them 275.00  and we never had water the total duration of our stay .Duane is a crook . They wanted to charge some one for their negligence . Drive the extra miles to the KOA they are professional and care about the condition of the park .

Convenient Location

Chatfield State Park Campground is not the most scenic campground, but it has a very convenient location.  Whether you live in Denver and just want a quick getaway or if you are visiting friends in the area, it is a very easy place to camp.  Located on the Southwest side of the metro area, it is just off of I470.

The park has great amenities with a great lake for powerboat sports.

Additionally it has a  fresh water "gravel pond" on the south side that is great for SUP and human powered craft.  Trails throughout, both paved and dirt.

The campsites have good tree coverage and views of the foothills.

Very Quiet Hike-in Sites (short hike 1/2 miles) Reviewing Spruce

We visited sites 17 and 19 in the Spruce Loop (sites 11-19, all hike-in up to 1/2 mile @ Staunton) Before I begin my review of the sites, I'll tell you that this campground is very clean, bathrooms clean, campsites clean and quiet. The pit, very clean are at base, and there is a porta-potty by site 14, far enough away from 14 to not be a problem. One issue I noticed is that the water spigots are at the base as well and not at or near the sites - 1/2 mile from the farthest site, Site 19. We had to carry up jugs and refill at night. No campfires allowed ever. I brought stoves no bigger than a jetboil/MSR dragonfly. Headlamps are a must. Also, we went in June and July. Check the weather. We had very cold weather in both June and July, weather hit the low 30's.

Since hiking in, some backpacking items would be helpful in order to make the haul easier. Though, taking trips could be an option, if necessary. When camping with a whole posse of kids, we used a wagon to haul all that crap up (see pics). No problems with the wagon getting stuck. Trails are very clear. Finally, when you see "private" in my review, don't think miles of space. You can see other sites from your site, but they're not stacked up against each (minus 15 and 16). There are no cars or car traffic, so that makes a big difference.

If you're looking for a short hike, site 11 is the best. It's hidden away in semi-private spot. 12-14 are less private, but still sheltered with shade and some boundaries from the trail. I wouldn't have a problem staying in any of these sites. There is a porta-potty across from 14, but not too close. There are no issues with smell. I'd stay at 14 if I had to.

My favorite sites at Spruce are 15-19. They're like bonus sites. They're on the other side of the trees and in their own hidden section away from hikers and trails, etc. 15 and 16 are very close together and are the least private of all of the sites. They can easily be booked together for larger groups. Site 17 (my third favorite and most underrated ) is away from the path and rocky/ledgy part and more grassy, with a very peaceful and private view behind the tent pad. At 17, set up your tent door away from the picnic table to have a "front door" view of the grassy area. 18 and 19 are my favorite sites. 18 overlooks the mountain and has the tent pad surrounded by boulders. This one is my favorite in terms of view. Very pretty. I think it's smaller though. Not a whole lot of wiggle room for active young'uns.

My favorite for size and for kids is 19. This one sits atop all of the other sites and is one of the most accommodating and fairly private sites for families both in room and fun. It's a nice barrier to any dangerous cliffs, etc. And, you won't be bothered by anyone up there. There's nature to keep the kids busy. And, behind 19 are rocks and boulders. You could scramble up with or without kids (my kid was 2 and climbed with some help) and explore for about an hour just by the site. We sit at the edge of the boulders and watch the sunset. You can't beat the view. This site never fails to entertain. The only issue is that it's furthest from the porta-potty. It's maybe a five or so minutes walk down. Never had issues. Posting pics below of some of the sites and 17 and 19, the ones we've booked. I hope this is enough to help make your decision. Happy Camping!

Posted pics. Some are in poor quality. My bad!