Equestrian
Military
Peregrine Pines Military - USAF Academy is located in Colorado
8 Reviews of Peregrine Pines Military - USAF Academy
Very close to city

5 minute drive to restraunts and stores. Quiet campground. Clean. Well maintained group areas/picnic areas. Only DoD ID card holders can use it, so there is not as much noise and partiers.

Ranger Review: Gregory Avos 15 pack at Peregrine Pines military campground

Campground Review

Note: This is a military campground only, on the grounds of the US Air Force Academy just north of Colorado Springs, CO.

My family and I stayed here a week in a 34' travel trailer.  This is a large facility with over 100 campsites. Sites are gravel and fairly level, spaced decently with little undergrowth among the pine trees. Full hook-ups are of good quality and worked with no problems. Cable is not provided and we did not check to see if our antennae picked up any local TV stations. WiFi is restricted to the office and bathhouses, and do not extend into the campground. You have the option of purchasing a MiFi transmitter for $5 a day or $25 a week, but we did not choose this option. A short walk from our campsite is a very nice playground next to the picnic pavilions. Each site comes with a grill and aluminum picnic table. Ground fires are not allowed, but fire pits can be rented for an additional fee. The laundry facility is affordable and the machines are in good condition. Now for a little bit about the area outside the campground. The Academy grounds are huge. It is a good 10-minute drive to the commissary/exchange, a 10-minute drive to the visitor center, and about 30 minutes to downtown Colorado Springs or Garden of the Gods. If you are here for football, the stadium is right down the street (I would say it is within walking distance).  There is a lot to do around here and this is a good base camp. I wish we could have stayed longer than a week.

Oh, and just a heads up, if you are staying here in the summer expect thunderstorms to roll by every day.  The wind and lightning can be rather intense.

Product review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. This week I tested the Gregory Avos 15 pack. Although designed as a mtn biking pack, I used it for day hiking and road cycling and found it to be a great and versatile pack.  See the video and pictures for more details, but here's a quick review of the pros:

• The numerous storage spaces, crash pad for a phone/glasses, and a separate bag for repair tools that can be clipped inside the pocket.
  • The feel of the fit and adjustability of straps and back length.
  • The size of the hydration bladder.
  • The convenience of the bite valve.

After hiking 6 miles and riding 10 miles, I have very few negatives, and these are just me being picky:

• The magnetic connection for the chest strap is challenging to remove with one hand.
  • The length of the hydration hose could be a little longer so I could loosen the chest strap without it pulling on the hose (I have wide shoulders).
  • The hydration bladder itself is difficult to drain completely when trying to dry it out.

Overall, I would give this pack a 5-star review and recommend it to others who want a comfortable, well-designed, and versatile pack when playing outdoors.

Awesome FamCamp

Our third time staying here. Opinion - best FamCamp in the system. Love the ability to base from here in the Colorado Springs area and branch out for all adventures you can imagine.

Campground is clean. Friendly staff. Level spots. Though not exactly private, plenty of pine trees to make you feel you are in the woods. City water was clean/no smell/good pressure, though paperwork says a regulator is mandatory.

Down side = the routinely travelled train tracks with mandatory horns. Regardless, we would return without question.

Military, Retired, DAV 100%

Other than morning and afternoon colors and an occasional train it is a very quiet park!

Good place to stay

No public wifi, you need a cell phone(hotspot), or rent a 5 GB mifi from them! This is the only bad thing i have to say about the FamCamp.

Really great campground on the base

This campground was great! Lots of trees. Sites that were easy to access for RVs. Clean bathrooms and showers. View of Pikes Peak.

Retired Military

Great wooded campground, with large lots. Quiet, except for the trains running during the night. Only $20 a night!

Great Place!

We stayed here for 6 nights in March. One night we got snowed in and another night we slept with open windows! 😂

Beautiful scenery, neat atmosphere. You do have to be active or retired military to stay here, or have a sponsor with you.

Bathrooms were clean hot showers. Decent sized laundromat. A lot of full timers there when we were there so we were a little bit of the “odd man out” but I imagine the summer crowd is different!

rated 4 stars because there were no campfire pits, it wasn’t really a huge deal but it would have been nice.