San Bernardino National Forest, CALIFORNIA
Most Recent San Bernardino National Forest Camping Reviews
Secluded

Quick, easy getaway from the city. Campground feels very secluded and the sites are far apart.

Party campground

I’ve stayed here twice, the first time all the sites were booked the second time it was pretty empty. Both times, neighboring campers were blasting music. Not just a little loud, but so loud I felt the bass two loops away. Park rangers don’t patrol the sites as far as I can tell but if your intent is to party with some friends while camping this is the place for you. There isn’t easy access to the lake, I think you have to either drive down or take a really long walk. Most sites have a lot of shade, all sites have a picnic table and fire pit. If I ever want to have a party camping trip, I’d likely go here. But if you’re camping for peace and quiet, this may not be what you want.

Decent Campground

This campground is ok. Everything about it is just mediocre. It’s easy to find, and close to Orange County. We enjoyed Ortega Falls which is about a 10 minute drive from the campground, and there are a few other hikes nearby. I didn’t like that the campsites are close to each other. And I think it cost $20 per night.

Expensive! And expect to get to know your neighbors

Good camp ground if you like being 6 ft away from your neighbors. More of a group or community campground. Shared fire pit and tables. Not the place to go if you are trying to get away from people. Located right under the flight path of the nearby airport. Only plus each site have full hookups and sewer.

Edit: we initially thought they double charged me, went to clarify only to realize the 2nd charge was for the 2nd night. So for 2 nights it was $142! Not worth it. Not coming back.

Basic but Convenient

The camp host wasn't very polite when we pulled in. The camp sites we're pretty open and there wasn't much privacy. The campground was clean and although it didn't have much above and beyond the basics, it served as a decent spot to get to the hiking trails and into the town.

Great for star gazing

My daughter and I came here for a meteor show, amazing!!! The hiking was good, it is very hot bring plenty of water!!!

Family Fun!

Ideal for family fun. Free mini golf, horseshoes, disc golf and pool area with 3 pools, one specific for kids. Golf cart friendly. This park is very large and has a very good, outdoorsy feel. Lots of hills. Bar, ice cream and pizza shop! No access to the actual lake. So don’t plan on visiting a lake, unless they’ve resolved that issue. Karaoke night!

Free but hard to get a site

This is basically just sites along a road up to a fire lookout. There are 9 sites in total. Rangers do come by and take down information of the leader of the group. They are very strict on parties are not allowed. NO FIRES. They have had issues with drug use and parties so thats why they are strict. Almost every site is secluded so there is privacy beside the occasional car driving by.

Very diverse

I love this campground because they have a lot of amenities that don’t seem to change the scenery. They have electric and water hook up for RVs in a few sites that are reservable. The majority of the sites are primitive, and they have showers and toilet buildings around. The campground is paved well forested so it seems like your more alone than most campgrounds.

Great campsite

Great quiet campsite in the winter time

Right in the Middle

Excellent location right in the middle of the park. You're an easy drive to most of the park. The campground backs up to big rocks you can climb on. The spots are well spaced and they were very clean.

Nice campground. Close enough to the city to get anything you need.

The newer sites don’t have a lot of mature trees, the older sites have a little more wear and tear but also bigger trees. Nice splash zone

Good all around campground.

Campsites arent the biggest, and fairly close together. Lake is easy to get to from anywhere. Rental boats on the lake. Free showers, and good bathrooms.

Nice sites wide open

The sites here are pretty nice and far enough apart to have some privacy. With the local dairies are more insects than many campgrounds. Can be annoying. Some of the grassy areas have thorny stickers in them. Overall, nice camping if you’re OK with a few bugs. If I member correctly, summertime has more flies than you might really want.

Close together

The sites are right up next to each other so there's not much privacy. The campground itself was standard. They have options for water and electric or full hookups. The campstore had everything we may need. Had about 2 bars of Verizon service.

Desert campground on a lake.

It is in a location right next to a race track, so during the summer months it gets quite loud well in to the night. If you have a boat there is a great little island in the lake that has a good beach area to hang out and have a picnic. Its away from the crowds, as the summer months can be quite busy. Growing up I had spent a lot of time at this island, one trip in particular I remember they were searching for a guy that had fallen off his boat, and I was swimming in the lake I started finding money everywhere at the bottom of the lake and had found over $160

The Island does not have campsites or bathrooms. But the campground does have wonderful bathrooms, free showers with hot water, of course it has the other amenities such as fire rings and tables, however, check for fire information if you do want to start a camp fire.

Really beautiful

We loved lake Perris. There was a little shop and a beautiful fishing area. We’re took our dogs swimming and had the most fun. I can’t wait to go back. It was just so much fun.

A m a z I n g

This was the first place I went camping after moving from Maine. It was a tiny taste of home. The mountains and trees are so so beautiful. It was per friendly and we had so much fun. Can’t wait to go back

My favorite place

We’ve gone camping here a few times and are completely in love. We went in January and were definitely a bit unprepared for the cold but we made it work and it was so beautiful, well maintained, and we loved all the trails near by and the little town walking distance

Great area to explore...

Though this campground doesn’t have spectacular views, it is located in the historic Holcomb Valley and surrounded by tons of hiking and offroad trails to explore. Tall trees with plenty of shade!

Offroad Hub

Surrounded by well known offroad trails, Crab Flats is frequented mainly by Jeepers and other offroad enthusiasts. Not the best maintained but there are always spots and it’s relatively private.

Beginner’s bouldering haven

I brought my brother and his family here for a quick overnight in order to enjoy the park. Unfortunately we went in early November and the desert winds were brutal with little natural shelter available. While we were near the famous Skull Rock and the boulders offered some fun scrambling, this site is far from some of the better trails. Our site did have a fire pit and a picnic table, and was far enough from the other sites to have an illusion of privacy.

Beautiful recreation area!

I loved this campground but wasn’t a fan of the extra fees. The charge $10 per person per day to fish in their Lake. And you can’t swim or let the kids play in the lake because it’s a reservoir. On the flip side they have a super nice splash pad park that’s no additional cost! There are lots of walking trails. We happened to be there during the poppy super bloom and the butterfly migration so that was also really cool!

Geese Poop!!

My biggest complaint with this resort is the geese, which apparently are always there, are loud and their poop is everywhere. The sites are also really packed in. What I did like is the pool, it was clean and plenty of room.

Pool, laundry, family lodge, easy freeway access

Super convenient park for exploring Palm Springs. There is a pool, laundry facilities, family lodge, and a camp store. The only reason I’m giving 4 stars is because the sites are super super close together. We were there the weekend before Easter and they did an Easter Egg hunt so that was super fun :)

Camp ground was closed and looked like it has been closed for a while.

Camp ground was closed, it appeared unmaintained for quit some time. I saw numerous trees in the area burned but I’m not sure from how long ago.

Last minute trip, Great park ranger

So this weekend, I got a wild hair up my butt to go camping. Keep in mind I’m 8 months pregnant and kept forgetting everything at my house.

With that said, I tried Silverwood to late and KNEW that it’d be packed. I was a bit disappointed but came across North shore.

It’s a nice little getaway from the hustle bustle with decent shade(depending on site) and relatively cool neighbors (campers).

I will say it’s down the way from a community hospital so you might here some forms of traffic including a rescue helicopter but it’s not an end all.

Again this was not my first choice. We got there and found no showers but they did have running toilets and cool tap water near our site. We totally lucked out and were able to switch with a couple who wanted more privacy and shade.

We eventually stayed on site 4 which was even and open. Our tent (as pictured) was nestled amongst the few trees on our site- only downside was the constant traffic going to and from sites 5/6- a bit of a drag. I felt like it was the prefect spot given the leveled ground and the fact that we had a kid and dog posse.

But let me tell you about the ranger named Shawn. Omg, he’s a character but he’s a good one. Gave him a tip, he tried to help us not spend money unnecessarily on wood and lent us his ax to go collect nearby. Super chill, down to earth guy who was just generally a lover of nature- you could tell.

Again, no showers. A bit of noise, but manageable. Quiet hours are the usual 10-7 but we unfortunately were situated next to a group that violated both times- how can someone go to bed after 10 and manage to wake up before 7 and make noise is beyond me….but it’s also been a while since I knew what having no kids and a dog meant- lol.

Would recommend IF you reserve a decent site. The first one we originally had was 3, super hilly and not leveled. Recommend 4,5,6 if you can and even the one right next to that (assuming it’s 7). Lake is a stones throw away!

Hope that helps!

Last minute trip, Great park ranger

Hope that helps!

Quiet Mountain Camping

Offers wide range of tent camp sites, RV camping, showers, toilets. Beautiful scenic hikes. Small creek runs through property. Campsite grills and picnic tables.

AMENITIES, AMENITIES, AND AMENITIES.

Great all around campground. If you are new to tent camping this place is great for getting familiar with your gear before you go out and "rough it". Bathrooms, showers, swimming pools, activities for the kids, general store, etc. A little on the expensive side but you will know where your money went once you have arrived. 15 minutes East of Temecula.