Fires Unknown
Pets Unknown
About San Gorgonio Campground

The San Gorgonio Campground provides access to a variety of recreational opportunities, as well as a beautiful location in which to enjoy nature. Its proximity to scenic trails and nearby mountain lakes and streams make the campground a great place to bring the family to relax and get away from it all.

Recreation

The campground provides access to the famed Santa Ana River Trail, which when completed will run from the mountains all the way to the Pacific Ocean, providing spectacular views along the way. It is currently popular for hiking, biking and horseback riding.

The Rio Monte Trail is also accessed from the campground, taking hikers to the Rio Monte Panorama, which overlooks the deep gorge of the Santa Ana River Valley.

Visitors to the area also enjoy fishing in nearby mountain streams, as well as bird and wildlife viewing, as a variety of species make their home in the forest. A nearby amphitheater also provides weekend evening educational programs for the public during summer months.

Facilities

The campground offers dozens of single, double and accessible sites, available for tent and RV camping. Some sites are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Utility hookups are not available, however, the parking spurs are paved and provide a level surface. A dump station with potable water is available at a nearby campground.

Each site is equipped with tables and campfire rings with grills. Accessible flush toilets, showers and drinking water are provided. A campground host is available on-site and firewood is available for purchase at the facility.

Natural Features

The campground is located about 36 miles northeast of San Bernardino, at an elevation of 6,600 feet. It is situated in a mixed forest of oak and mature pine trees.

The campground is composed of two loops, one loop has sites that are closer together, providing less privacy than the other. Both loops are relatively shaded by Black oak, Jeffrey and Ponderosa pine.

Nearby Attractions

The Big Bear Lake and its adjoining town are located approximately 25 miles from the campground, offering a variety of water-related recreation opportunities, as well as golf, shopping and restaurant options.

ADA Access: N

USDA Forest Service
No WiFi
San Gorgonio Campground is located in California
Directions
Take I-10 East to Redlands. Take the University Street exit, EXIT 80. Turn left (northbound) on University Street. Turn right onto E. Lugonia Avenue/SR-38. Continue on State Highway 38 for approximately 20 miles to the campground entrance.
13 Reviews of San Gorgonio Campground
Great location for exploring

This campground has some really cool sites that are HUGE! This campground is well kept and has many trails to explore. If youre up for it, you can hike to the other nearby campgrounds and lake!

A great campground in the mountains!

I love this campground because it is so close to San G mountain trail!  We stayed here before and after hiking that enormous mountain and love the area.  There is a great trail off the backside of the campground as well.  It can be a bit loud and the trees are tall and skinny so there's not a ton of privacy, but it's woodsy and beautiful.  Site 14 has a HUGE Christmas tree and I think it's a group site.

There's a great lake area to hike to nearby and lots of mountain biking around the area.

1st Timer

My very first time camping we came here and I really enjoyed it. We had a lot of space for three families and even though there wasn’t a lot of bushes or plants to cover us, we still weren’t bothered by our neighbors. We would go again😉

Loved our campsite

Itt was huge..  No bugs and clean.  We will be reserving the same campsite next year.  The only thing was when I reserved online it said two cars were included, and then on the receipt it said second car wasn't included? we get there and the grounds keeper makes us pay for the second car..  Cash only!  I was upset about that.  At Barton flats it's the same rules and we did not pay for second car so something isn't right..

This is a nice spacious campground with plenty of trees

Great campground. The host was friendly and very helpful. There is clean water, clean restrooms and showers. The showers go hot and cold in a second but this is a water conservation area so no big deal and they are free. Firewood is available from the camp host and is about 6 dollars enough for one evening. There is a fire pit with a cooking grill at each site. The restrooms were clean but very busy at certain times as people use them as washrooms. Everybody respected the evening quiet time but some children were a bit noisy at 6 am. That was just one family so didn't seem to be typical. No cell phone signal so print out your reservation details before you go. Don't ask how I know this. We had a wonderful time and would go back tomorrow if it were open. I believe it is closed till the new season. The other campers were really friendly.We definitely be back .

Sierra feel in the local mountains

San Gorgonio, aptly named for the famed crown peak near by, is a nice mix of family friendly and weekend escape. Due to the proximity to the high mountain peaks and desert, you get a very distinct feel of the Eastern Sierra (for those familiar). Sage brush, junipers, mixed with black oak, cedar trees, and an array of pines make this area quite well shaded, but also grow well due to the heat the area can reach. Don’t be surprised by temps reaching as high as 90° in the summer and near freezing in the fall at night.

The first two things I noticed with this camp were 1) lots of over flow parking near the entrance of the camp, and 2) showers. That being said, this makes the camp ground a great place for those not so attune to roughing it while searching for a good outdoor experience. Very family friendly. There were lots of spots a 32’ trailer could easily back in, as well as spots perfect for setting up a tent in the shade. The nicest spots I noticed for over all flat ground, shade, distance from other camps, etc., were #’s 28 & 44 which both sat on an outer loop, and double site 10, which had nothing but wilderness beyond it.

Con to this camp ground was some sites were definitely exposed, and the proximity to the highway, which I honestly doubt would be too big a deal as the road sits higher than the camp, directing sound away.

over all for the area, 4.4 out of 5 for me.

Simple and Plesant

Stayed at the double site 48, for 1 night, close enough to the bathroom but not so close that you hear the foot traffic. This double site had plenty of room for the max of 16 people. Only negative was that the campsIte bathroom didn’t have soap, but they were clean and had lights that turned on when you entered.

Lots of trees

Reservations are needed.

My Family and I have been coming here for over a decade every year. Shady with plenty of little trails. Don’t leave Ice chest out& Please be sure to cover your ice chest, even in your vehicle, as the bears, are all too familiar with them. My sister did not heed my warning, and we woke in the middle of the night to the local resident ( a bear) tipping and subsequently going through her cooler

Outdoor amphitheater is close by

Bought a used popup camper and used this place as a test. Loved the spot. Seemed almost secluded. Restroom was a little hike but had a stone lined trail that led you right to it. Water station real close by. Less than a mile loop around the campground.

Perfect, quiet, mid-week bliss!

I visited San Gorgonio Campground on Sunday 4/29/18, just 2 days after opening. There were 3 total sites being used. The campground hosts were amazing and very helpful. The sites are evenly spaced, good privacy, clean bathrooms. Plenty of space to pitch my tent and hang my hammock. Great hiking all around. I would definitely come back here again!