About Idyllwild County Park
Hike In
Idyllwild County Park is located in California
13 Reviews of Idyllwild County Park
Winter wonderland

5 star for the fact that they are open year round. Great camp ground and amenities. Good spacing between spots but doesn't really matter in the winter because there was no one else there. Great option when you need a place to crash for the night.

Mountian Men

This campground is right by the town. You can walk there within minutes. That could be a good thing or a bad thing. A little louder than what I would want. It’s still a nice spot. A couple guys and I went up there to get away and we enjoyed our time. Good hiking spots within a few minutes of driving. Not much to do around the campsite other than go into town.

My favorite place

We’ve gone camping here a few times and are completely in love. We went in January and were definitely a bit unprepared for the cold but we made it work and it was so beautiful, well maintained, and we loved all the trails near by and the little town walking distance

Quiet Mountain Camping

Offers wide range of tent camp sites, RV camping, showers, toilets. Beautiful scenic hikes. Small creek runs through property. Campsite grills and picnic tables.

Hidden Gem

Idyllwild County campground is not that easy to find, but when you finally find it you will be glad you did. It is dog friendly, clean restrooms, showers and very friendly staff. The fees for camping are low and it's exciting to be away from everything but know there is a safety net of rangers and other staff around if you need them. Hike to the Nature Center using Perimeter or Hillside trails and you are in for a treat. They have good exhibits, and a bonus bird watching area. I love this park for day use as well - when it's 100 degrees + in the summer a drive up to Idyllwild is like going to heaven.

Great campground close to town!

Its nice to find a campground close to the town. I met some PCT hikers and had a great time listening to their stories. Well maintained and easy to find.

Short hop from LA and OC

Near many trailheads with wide variety of difficulty, clean bathrooms, and friendly staff.

Under trees

We arrived early on Friday morning and snagged one of two remaining spots. Trail leading up to Mount San Jacinto is within walking distance. Lots of trees , very inexpensive. Not many sites.

Breathtaking

Amazing place to catch your breath from the city life of Los Angeles. That is if you can with the elevation! There are so many hikes and with PCTers walking in and out of town you are sure to find great stories wondering through.

You can hike and camp up to the peak or you can do a calming hike around the area and take in all the pines.

So close and yet so far away...

Although this campground is within walking distance of the touristy town of Idyllwild, upon entering the campground a sense of wilderness literally engulfs you. The facilities are well kept and provide flush toilets(actually clean and working,y’all!), ample privacy between campsites(a must for me being an Introvert) and a responsible recycling bin system. I’ve camped here in all the seasons and the place is consistently maintained. I must confess; I have ventured into the town to stock up on ice and forgotten toothpaste…and a refreshing beer or three at the Idyllwild Brewery(killer pizza by the way). This convenience is a points getter when taking a Lady for the first time camping.

There is a very accomplished trail system into the San Jacinto wilderness, connecting to the Pacific Crest Trail( PCT) but be forewarned that dogs are NOT allowed on the trails. You must research local trails that do allow Bowser; do not find out the hard way as I did the second time I camped here.

Idyllwild has been my respite for some years now. I am very picky with campsites and will give negative reviews to be honest. This is a site worthy of my young grand daughters who still explore and believe that there are trolls and fairies and hidden gems in the forest. Yes dear, this is one of them.