the dyrt
Cleveland National Forest, CALIFORNIA
Most Recent Cleveland National Forest Camping Reviews
Good for what we needed.

Camped here as a launch point to see the blooms near Lake Elsinore. Very standard campground with basic amenities. Road noise was a little rough for those looking for a quiet getaway.

Get above it all....

I stayed there the night of March 2nd, 2019. It was very windy and fairly cold. I think the actual temperature would have been fine if not for the windchill and spitting rain from the clouds stuck on the mountain a few miles away. The wind blew the moisture across.

Free primitive campground with clean and stocked pit toilets (depending on who went before you anyway). The road in is rough but can be navigated with a passenger vehicle (I drove a Prius on them). I’ve hit bottom coming out of California business driveways more often.

It’s located well up the mountain from Borrego Springs on a scenic highway. Borrego Springs is a Dark Sky community, so there’s good stargazing.

You are supposed to use a metal container for fires, but the site where I camped had a fire ring that had been used. I don’t think I’d have had a fire even if I’d had a metal container. The wind was that strong (and I’m a Kansas boy, I know strong winds). I also saw discarded gas cylinders that I was going to pack out but got distracted. I’ll never be able to wrap my head around people go want to be in nature but have no problem trashing it out or burning it down. That said, it was only my campsite where I saw these issues.

All in all, a very picturesque stay, but the wind will rock you.

The best of the best

So beautiful, welcoming and filled with excellent amenities that you’ll never want to leave.

Expensive, and nice!

We spent 2 weeks here. The weekly rate is much better than daily. It is a nice resort with clean amenities. The gym was great and the pool was not busy which made it a nice place to work from. The main downside is it is near the train tracks, which runs often.

Good Times

The is a great place and Ive been coming here since I was a kid. Great staff and friendly campers

Good beach camping

Easy beach access and fire rings for all! Sites are okay and the facilities were very “Beachy”. This was definitely a “beach” campground and if that is all you want, it will be just fine. I like its access to the smaller Commissary and gas station. RV sites, tent sites and cabins.

Great location and views

We camped here a week before Christmas. We have a 24 ft travel trailer. Stayed in a site with electricity and water. No sewer hook-up but there is a dump station in the campground. Great amenities including flush toilets and token operated showers. Each site has an ocean view. A bit of road noise from PCH but million dollar houses also have such problems! There is an elementary school adjacent to the campground so you get a few PA announcements to start your day.

There is a small visitor's center on site. Hiking and mountain bike riding are in the canyon adjacent to the campground. You can access the beach by walking down the hill and using the tunnel under PCH. From there, you can walk to Crystal Cove Historic Site and the Beachcomber restaurant. You can also walk to a nice chopping center with restaurants and a Trader Joe's (we forgot toothpaste). Your campsite parking pass is good at any of the parking areas in Crystal Cove State Park so you don't have to walk if mobility is an issue.The beach is clean and great for beachcombing - just can't collect anything. Lots of marine and land wildlife in the area.

Close to Laguna Beach so you can go into this nice artsy community.

A couple of other reviewers mentioned a few things that seem a bit inaccurate. Alcohol is limited to the campsites but you can drink in your campsite. You just can't take it to the beach or to the bluff overlook. It is easy to get in and out - unless you are in one of the backcountry sites. Pelican Hill Resort and golf club are nearby (not Trump National which is in Palos Verdes).

Hidden Gem

Idyllwild County campground is not that easy to find, but when you finally find it you will be glad you did. It is dog friendly, clean restrooms, showers and very friendly staff. The fees for camping are low and it's exciting to be away from everything but know there is a safety net of rangers and other staff around if you need them. Hike to the Nature Center using Perimeter or Hillside trails and you are in for a treat. They have good exhibits, and a bonus bird watching area. I love this park for day use as well - when it's 100 degrees + in the summer a drive up to Idyllwild is like going to heaven.

Lake skinner thanksgiving

An amazing family friendly camp site. I have been coming to this camp ground for over 30 years and it continues to be one of my favorites. From kids play grounds to fishing, hiking and watching the Hot Air Balloons launch its fun for all.

Summer camp getaway

It's a great place for a quick getaway from everyday living.

Beach camping

This campsite fills up fast. My friends had reservations for the weekend and we had a great time. When everyone left on Sunday afternoon the site just about emptied out. I decided to stay since the reservation was through Monday. I was able to back my back my suv up in another empty site and enjoy the sounds of the ocean all night!

Little Tight in Spacing but So worth it!

We got in and checking in was very thorough! We headed to the pull through 30amp sites which are all to the left. Parked in end spot of the first row after the pool in tight spot( palm trees are close) and electric wasn’t working. This side is only one way streets so pulled out and headed to the right side of property which is all 50amp spots that are back in only. After two rounds around outer two lanes we found a good spot close restrooms. Bathroom are very clean, there’s great activities and Veterans Day event near city were awesome. We spent a lot time at pool which was awesome for us Northerners as that never happens in November. We love Palm Springs!

Veterans Day weekend

Clean campsites, clean showers & toilets. Lots of biking & hiking trails. Primitive camping & RV camping. I’m normally a tent camper but this time I chose to stay at a campsite with water & electricity 😁

Right on the sand

I love this park because you are right on the sand!

Best Southern California Beach Campground

This is our favorite place to camp. I wish they had more hookup sites though!

Downhill

Lake Hemet campground has really gone downhill. We used to spend summers there with many family members in multiple campers, catching lots of trout. We went this spring, I didn't recognize the place, it was run down, over grown, it was like it no body was caring for the place. They hadn't stocked trout in over a year. We paid $200 for 10 days. NOT worth it. Find another campground

Great for Kids & Adults

I have only tent camped here and enjoyed the quite and clean site. I like that it is not far from civilization but feels very remote. My kids caught their first fish in the little pond.

Great for Kids and Adults

I have only tent camped here and really enjoyed the clean and quiet spot not too far from civilization but feels like in the middle of nowhere. My kids caught their first fish in the little pond :)

Chambers Park Campground

Located at Lake Cuyamaca in Julian. Gorgeous views of the lake!!!! Picnic area, tent camping sites, and also cabins and condos as well. This place is so serene and peaceful as you are tucked in adjacent to the 110 acre lake. Only lake in San Diego that has stock trout all year. Other fish include Florida bass, smallmouth bass, channel catfish, crappie, bluegill, and sturgeon. Sits at over 4,000 elevation with Mt Laguna right up the road. Huge bathrooms here with running water. Fee is rarely cheap. Great campground for families or just as a day escape from the city.

Beautiful secluded campground

This campsite is located at the junctionof the Deer Springs Trail and the PCT, and is breathtaking. Only 3 or 4 sites available so make reservations in advance or stop by the office in Idyllwild if you’re feeling lucky . I stayed there in October and snagged the last site. The sites are dispersed and marked with small signs. There is an outhouse towards the top of the site. You must hike in but it is absolutely worth it.

Nice getaway

This is a fairly large campground in the Laguna mountains. We hiked in and got the last walk in spot, so keep in mind that it can be busy on the weekends. The spots are fairly large and include parking, fire pits and picnic tables. Wood is available for purchase on site and kindling is easy to find. This is a nice alpine getaway with pine trees, meadows, a small lake and nearby views of the Anza Borrego desert. Located just off the PCT and other hiking trails.

Free Desert Camping!

Free camping! Located off the S22, border of Anza Borrego,just 3.5 miles past the town of Ranchita. If you keep going down the hill you'll hit Borrego Springs. Keep an eye out for the Culp Valley Camp sign because otherwise there isn't much indication. Barely any service so make sure you prepare well for an extended stay. It does extremely windy here, especially in early fall with the Santa Ana winds. Hot during day, frigid at night. It's primitively camping so No water, picnics tables, fire rings, and charcoal grills, but vault toilets and ground to put a tent on are available. In Culp Valley there is TONS of boulders to climb; varying from beginner v0's to advanced bouldering. Check out mountain project to check out some routes or just go spot out some of your own! This is place is definetly worth a weekend trip, but Shhh try to keep it a secret. ;)

Campground coordinates: 33.220541, -116.458858 (33° 13′ 13.94″N 116° 27′ 31.88″W)

Life is good on the beach!

Spent our first night in our van here. Had to make a reservation. Couldn't get a beach side site. There's a north side and a south side to the campground. The south side is busier. There's an amphitheater at the south end. The sites also seemed closer together on that end. On the beach side, there is plenty of space, but not so much shade. The highway side has more trees, but some sites seem smaller and packed in. You really need to look around for a good site because a lot of gems were mixed with OK sites, but I would start on the north side. Being close to the highway, there will be a lot of traffic noise if you are in a tent. Plenty of access to a stairway leading to the beach. Shower and surf rack at one access. Campground is up on a bluff, overlooking the Pacific ocean. Camp store seemed stocked. Plenty of stores nearby if you need anything not there. Plenty of restaurants, coffee shops and quaint stores up the highway in downtown Encinitas.

Pretty Beach

The beach is very pretty. The campground was quiet enough, though the spaces are very close together with little to no privacy in between campsites. I wouldn’t go out of my way to stay there again, but it is fine for a night when heading to or from somewhere.

A Great Little Find!

The campground was nice and quiet, yet close to all. There were plenty of trails for walking dogs. Spaces had nice separation between them.

Beautiful but noisy Beach Camping

This is one of our favorite beaches & near my families fave surf spot, ‘Pipes’! Bring earplugs & a pillow o er your head. Or better, bring an RV & a portable mouse machine. ALSO YOU NEED TOKENS FOR THE SHOWER!

Quick Get Away

Good location to get out of Temecula for a quiet night. There is hiking and horse trails, but no other draw. The downside is the standard Forest Service pit toilets.

Gorgeous ocean views, serene, secluded, private

You are so near to nightlife yet so in the wilderness. Couldn't be a better place to camp. The beach is beautiful. And you can still have pizza delivered.

Outstanding RV park

Very nice hot tubs and swimming pool