Big Piney, WYOMING

Most Recent Big Piney Camping Reviews
Great spot

We camped here in a tent passing through on our way north. Only cost us $10. Pretty spot and only a couple other campers in the area that night so we had plenty of privacy. It does appear that it is closed in winter but there is a forest road just south that you could camp on for free I'm sure.

Breathtaking from every angle.

1 maybe 2 primitive sites. No power, toilets, cell service or potable water, but this place is magical. I have been going up to this area for decades and it still elicits a response that is down to my core. Beautiful in any direction, peaceful and eerie. It is getting more used as the valley below expands, the Cutthroats don't bite as they once did, and I believe the mosquitoes are thicker… If the sites by the reservoir are taken there are some down the canyon a little ways, keep an eye out for the spring that comes out of a small pipe next to the road…best water EVER! Don't try the road without a slightly clearanced vehicle, there is a few gnarly parts. Even in early summer check to make sure the road is open, avalanches do happen often up there and can cause it to be closed into summer. I'm not going to give a step by step directions list, if you want it its worth the extra effort. Bring warm clothes just in case. Please pack out what you pack in and leave it better than you found it. Enjoy.

Great secluded little spot

Allred creek campground is a great spot with plenty of trees and nice well taken care of sites. Sites are RV friendly. Very limited on the info I have because of the short duration I was there, but I loved it and plan on visiting it again. Enjoy

Big Sandy Opening dispersed site

The area is a vast wonderland, endless in its possibilities for recreational opportunities. Fishing, Hiking or just relaxing and contemplating on how great life is right at this second. 1st off, you are on your own, no stores or markets to aid you if you forgot something. Pack wisely. 2nd temperatures can vary wildly in Wyoming, especially at altitude, so be prepared for cool nights and when day hiking. Skeeters can be fierce. Pack out everything and leave it better than you found it. Our camp was Dry primitive camp with a preestablished rock fire ring right by the river. Not much shade but that was fine. Up the road would be a good flat place for RV's as ours had a small spring which may cause trailers to get hung up on. There is a lodge, but I don't know if it has anything for sale besides cabins. Be prepared for a long fairly decent maintained dirt road. Enjoy.

Camping before backpacking the Winds

Very nice small campground but very good privacy between sites. I camped here before backpacking the Wind River  Range. No water. But did have a very clean bathroom and excellent paved road to campground. The campsite was $12 .

MIxture of semi raw to basic conviences

THE MID campground at Fremont Lake,  just outside of Pinedale, WY. (Green River lakes, New Fork lake, Willow Lake, Fremont lake, Half Moon and Boulder lake::

the 6 larger, glacial cut lakes  in Pinedale area, all 7500 to 8000

Elv).

The. Mid Campground and boat launch area at Fremont Lake has about 52 units, although it seems freq. Under modification by the USFS…

Narrow paved, pull thru and back in sites., on hillside not far above the lake.  Interspaced water available,  but "community"  not per site use.   toilets under upgrade.   Lots of shade in the pines.    Boat launching with care at campground, also being improved.

Tables and firepits all sites.

This is a good place to base out of when fishing the Pinedale area, and is fairly close to town for supplies.

FREMONT LAKE is about 9 miles

long,  and fishing can be good or spotty for MACS, & BOWS

It is primarily a trolling lake and not much on Bank fishing, Fremont is around 600ft deep and relatively narrow.

Usually FS has large trash disposals at campground exit.

finding a level pull thru almost non e x istant.

Raw

Hardly could be called a campground,  a few lakeside (if Lake not high) picnic tables, a few fire rings.  A little shade at lakes edge from Aspens.  Sage country typ.  Very little use,  Willow lake at times can be great from boat, for nice Macs and some bows.

Use extreme lower end, flooded prairie for bows, and occ. Browns. Use subsurface bars, (cut thru glacial terminal moraines for Macs).

NO dock but good sandy beach areas right at campsites for mooring.  A long, typical area glacial cut fiord type lake.

Very little pressure.  A short shelf road, cimbs up to lake and down again to the lake.  Take it easy this is a 1 track road. Cross your fingers and hope nobody tearing up from the other side.

Very peaceful, quiet, clean lake water.  Not terribly windy.

End of the Road

Literally the end of the road. Near a lake, The sites are surrounded by aspens. There is no water but there is a vault toilet. Even though it is near a small lake it is quiet, There are pull through and back in sites for RVs. Sites are good size. Fire rings and bear storage boxes are available.

Solitude !

Great dispersed camping area. Appears to be used by a lot of hunters. There is a nice big picnic table at one site and a few spots with campfire rings and meat poles. There are no other amenities. The Greys River is right near camp as well as Spring Creek. The Spring Creek Falls trailhead has a river crossing at the 2 mile mark, sign states it is 5 miles to the falls. I didn’t venture further than that. I stayed at this campground because I was hiking up Wyoming Peak in the morning. Wyoming Peak was a wonderful hike, highly recommend! This summer has had the most amazing wildflowers!

Amazing wild flowers !

This remote cabin can be rented for $30 night if not in use by the forest service staff. This is a popular destination for snowmobiling in the winter month and fly fishing in the summer. I visited in July and the wild flowers were incredible in LaBarge Meadows. This is near the Tri-Basin drainage. The trail head for the Lander Cut-Off Trail is right at the cabin. There is an outhouse, picnic table in the yard and a fire ring. There is a stream right along the cabin and there is writer plumbing in the summer months.
There is a doorknob lock that you enter a code into to access the cabin that is provided upon your reservation. Call 307-877-4415 to make your reservation!

Peaceful

Wonderful spot most sites were filled but the group area had a few spots with picnic tables left. I opted for 5 a small turnout next to the river. A short walk to probably the cleanest pit toilets I have ever seen. I will definitely camp here again.

Beautiful, Primitive, Remote

Very remote location with a primitive, yet beautiful campsite. The only services are a couple of bathrooms, which were nice and clean, otherwise you are on your own. There were not marked campsites that we noticed, only some had a fire ring and/or picnic tables. It was right next to the green river, so the mosquitoes were worse than usual. Otherwise a wonderful campsite. First come, first served. No registration or advance notice.

Pretty Good

It’s a decent place, you are definitely in the trees! Super close to the lake.

Spacious, clean, quiet

I stayed here in late May, 2018. Although I made a reservation, most sites were unoccupied. Sites are spacious and spaced well apart, some along the lake’s edge. A breeze kicked up but not too fierce. If you are looking to get away and relax without much to do, this campground is a great option.

Deepest Canyon in the Winds

An absolute must area to backpack in if you're in the northern part of the Wind River Range! Gorgeous waterfalls are everywhere and you're surrounded by giant walls of ancient Precambrian granite! The trail crosses over the stream many times so it helps to have waders. Water during the early part of the season can be almost impassable so late Summer is usually a good time to go if you don't want to deal with snow. Definitely bring some bug spray as well!

Peaceful sites between the lake and two trails

Gravel access road from the Boukder Wyoming area. Limited number of established sites in the formal campgound loop. Other folks camp near the Boulder Creek trailhead.

Pit toilets, gravel parking, trail map displays. Picnic tables and fire rings. Suited for tents and smaller RVs. Bigger RVs camp near the trailhead parking area.

The two trails up Boukder Creek and to Blueberry Lake go up into the Bridger Wilderness. Bring bear spray and fishing rods.

Lakeside peacefulness

Get a reservation in advance for the best lakeside sites. Mew pavement has been added so that even big RVs can be comfortably parked: no hookups. A group site is also available for reservations.

Walk to the lakeside beach or launch your boat or kayak at the boat ramp. Jut a short drive into town for dinner or provisions.

Kayak trip

Great kayaking

Great spot!

Great lake for the kids play and paddle boarding and kayaking. We camped little away from the lake and took the ATV down to play for the day. The campgrounds are neatly tucked into trees areas closer to the lake and there a lot of different sizes to choose from. The area is well maintained.

Love this place!

This is an absolutely beautiful place to camp. Sites are reservable and it does fill up. They have both pull through and back in sites. Sites have picnic tables and fire rings. All sites are close enough to walk to the lake. You will need your bug spray. There is a boat dock just up the road from the campground. The lodge has cabins and a bar/restaurant but you can’t count on it being open. The campground provides toilets and garbage. It is just close enough to town that it isn’t a big deal to run and get what you need.

Great little campground below Fontenelle dam.

Different sized sites to accommodate tent camping or RV. River access and great fishing. Sites have picnic tables and fire rings that include a cooking grate. Many sites also have a grill. Campground is pet and ATV friendly. Nice little camping spot, does get busy on the weekends.

Ranger Review: Humangear at Cottonwood Lake Campground

Campground Review: As you enter the forest boundary, there is a sign alerting you to road damage. The road is pretty rough getting into the campground. You will encounter some pretty significant potholes and washouts. Just take it slow, you’ll be fine. Also, the campground is not on the lake, it is about a 1/4 mile from the lake. The campground is quite nice back in the trees. There are 2 separate forks, one for equestrians and the other allows off-road vehicles.

I camped at site 13. It was near the water supply and a couple sites away from the restroom. It was also very close to the ORV trailhead. The only bear boxes are located by the restroom, which I though was unusual. I just made sure any food items were stored away in my vehicle and locked vs storing in the bear box. The campground was about half full on a Friday. The group site does require a reservation. The site I occupied had a small iron fire ring with a grill component. Some other sites had much larger cement fire rings. The lake is spectacular! it is the prettiest shade of teal. There is a boat dock at the far end of the lake. Near the parking area there is a beach area where you can kayak and paddle board from. The lake has brown and cutthroat trout. They were jumping like crazy in the evening and the fly fishing was excellent! I used my favorite yellow caddis. It was a little more difficult from shore but the boaters were killing it. I could have easily spent the whole weekend up here. My reason for visiting this area was to get away from the madness of the Lincoln County Fair that I was in the area attending and supporting my kids in 4-H. I prefer the solitude of camping in the forest ca the commercial campground at the fairgrounds.

This campground is recommended it you are interested in the following: horseback riding, fly fishing, kayaking, paddle boarding, canoeing, hiking, ORV, wildlife viewing. Something for everyone!

Gear Review: Humangear http://www.humangear.com/ Quick Bites, Go-Tubes, FlexiBowl. As a Ranger with the Dyrt, I occasionally receive gear to field test while camping. While planning for this trip, I brought some easy dinner items to quickly toss together. Prior to leaving, I mixed up some sauce at home and transported it in my GoTube. It was perfect! The opening to the soft silicone container is nice and wide. I added some chili sauce, soy sauce, and Sriracha to the tube and replaced the lid and shook it to mix. The lid has a nice mechanism that will lock the lid to prevent it from opening during transport. When squeezed, the contents are very controlled and there is no drip once you release. I used the FlexiBowl to mix up my concoction at camp. I emptied a tin of canned chicken int the bowel. The top inch or so of the bowel will fold down to create a wider opening. I used my Go-Bites spork to mix the sauce i brought with the chicken. I ate this on crackers. It was delicious after a long day. Pardon my dark demo video, it was 9 pm when I got around to eating. Prior to having the Humangear Go-Bites double ended spork, I had a light my fire spork. I was doing a side by side demo of the strength and barely put any effort on the ends of the light my fire sport and it split in two. I'm a fan of the Humangear eating utensils. I have also use the DuoBites which are a fork and spoon that slide into each other for transport and so they stay together. I really like both utensils that i have tried! I also have to throw in a GREAT word for the Humangear CapCap! This is a huge step up in my Nalgene game! I don't know how i got by without one! No more spills down the front of my shirt! Bonus!

Incredible Views and TOTAL Privacy

As I was driving over Salt River Pass I noticed a small dirt road on the side of the highway. Upon checking Google Maps Satellite View, I could see that the road ended in a campsite, so I decided to scout it. The road is HEAVILY rutted, and would be impassible for a regular car, but it was easy to pass in my Sprinter Van. The campsite is STUNNING, in a field of wildflowers, RIGHT near the highway, but totally isolated and private.

www.welovetoexplore.com

Ranger Review: ICEMULE at Lake Alice Campground

Disclosure: It is NOT 3.5 miles to the campground, it is 1.5 to the lake and another to .25 or so to the camping area on the east side of the lake. The app on my phone was screwy. Sorry for the confusion in my videos.

Campground Review: For a primitive camping area this place is pretty sweet! They have metal fire rings with grills and there is an outhouse as well. The picnic tables are built of of half hewn logs. I did see that one of the tables at a site was badly broken, so everything is not in the best repair. There was also garbage left behind by the previous visitors which we packed out for them. The views more than make up for it, though! This lake is the most beautiful blue-green color. Lake Alice is home to the only pure lake strain of Bonneville Cutthroat Trout in Wyoming. We caught about 4 this trip but I wasn't quick enough with the camera to share any shots. We had to leave just as the fishing was getting good in the evening. Fish AM/PM, the wind can pick up in the afternoons, and temps rise making fishing not so great in the afternoon. Horseback riders are frequently in the area, so make way for them on the trail. We passed a string of about 8 riders going in further. You can trail ride through all the way to La Barge Creek Road. The campsite at the very beginning of the lake has a primitive corral for the horses. There are a few ambitious folks who have packed canoes into the lake. There are also some forest service water crafts locked away. Maybe if you had the right connections…It would be so fun to canoe this lake!

If you continue along Poker Creek Trail that follows the east side of the lake, you can visit Mount Isabel which is 5 miles from the start of Lake Alice. Poker Creek Trail will reach LaBarge Creek Road at mile 9.

Don'f forget to leave no trace! Picking up after others is frustrating.

Gear Review: ICEMULE Coolers https://icemulecoolers.com/collections/pro-coolers/products/the-icemule-pro-large Occasionally the Dyrt will provide gear to demo on camping trips. I had the opportunity to demo the ICEMULE Pro Large Soft cooler. I have been using this cooler for a little over a month now and it has come along on a variety of adventures and has not failed! This was the longest trek I've carried the cooler. We went for a day trip into Lake Alice. The trail to the lake is 1.5 miles. I was able to pack the fully loaded cooler with lunch, drinks, and snacks for 4, into the lake comfortably. I loved that this cooler has the crisscross bungee cord to hold additional gear. It held my fly rod case snugly as we packed in. The cooler has a vent on the side, you can inflate the side walls to help extend the insulating factor of the cooler. It also helps it float! The bag rolls closed like a dry bag and clips closed. The shoulder straps are adjustable and there is a chest strop for a good fit. It worked just as good as a garbage receptacle as we packed out trash we found in the campground. #leaveitbetterthanyoufoundit

Great hiking access to Wind River mountains and Cirque of the Towers

One of the most incredible mountain ranges in the U.S. Hesitant to even post about this so as not to give it away.

Too flat

Not that great of scenery and it’s too flat so the wind gets at it too much

Great fishing!

Great to take the kids. Bad weather when we went though

Good base to set off from

Stayed here the first night of a 6 day backpacking trip and was treated to our last sit down toilet break for 5 days.

Upon returning we had a welcome dip in the lake and enjoyed some bbq we managed to keep cold in our car. Would definitely come back for a prolonged stay and kayak around the lake.

The boy scouts were also in the area while I was there so if crowds are an issue then late summer is a time to avoid

Stokes Crossing

This is a very small camp area and is usually taken. It's definitely one of natures best kept little secrets. If you don't mind sharing with the cattle you'll get to have your own little paradise.

Boulder Lake

Grear water recreation area. We always have a blast swimming and fishing!