Afton, WYOMING
Most Recent Afton Camping Reviews
Awesome dispersed camping spot!

I camped here during a Snake River float trip. Easy to get to launch quickly and close proximity to Alpine WY where you can pick up supplies. There are no amenities at the campground. It is just across the Idaho/Wyoming boarder and on the banks of the Palisades Reservoir. There are trees along the banks. Only fire pits available. No tables, bathrooms, nothing. So please practice good camping etiquette and pack out everything. Gets pretty

Oasis below the dam

Nice little place. Stay limit is 14 days. They have pull through electric sites, Several non-electric back in sites, and a few sites next to the Snake River. If you want to dump at the dump site, make sure you have your paper to prove you are or did stay at the park or they will charge you $5 to dump your black tank. They will also charge for filling fresh water if you don’t have your paid site stub.

Nice but not much There

There's not much here in terms of amenities and shade.  The toilets are pretty old evident from the screwed on toilet seats.  The campsites don't have very much shade but they are close to the river.  There are picnic tables and metal fire rings with grills for bbqing.

Nice Little KOA by the Creek

This KOA is close to the mouth of Montpelier Canyonand therefore can be hot in the summer.  It does however lie right next to the creek!  Also right next to the creek before the campground is a doggy walking and poo area.  The office is large and has quite a few convenience items.  There are shaded picnic areas and camping with options for hookuos, the standard KOA stuff.  A little bonus was the kids playground complete with swings and other toys

Beautiful Spot Next to the River

St charles campground in namesake St Charles Canyon was a nice little campsite that has 1 group site and 6 individual campsites.  There is a good amount of shade at nearly all the campgrounds and they are close to the creek.  It has simple amenities like vault toilets, metal fire rings and picnic tables.  Nearby is the beautiful Minnetonka cave and Bear Lake where you can recreate in numerous ways!  In the campground there were many wild rose bushes blooming and raspberries that had yet to fruit

Might be nice for RVs?

Just want to start out saying that this is an RV only campground.  This campground however seems more like a trailer park as the office looked vacated and they weren't accepting day to day overnight stays.  There wasn't a lot in the terms of amenities except for the basic RV hookups and a shade and bbq area.  It's also in the middle of town so theres not really a lot to do.  Good for a quick last resort as you roll into town around midnight

Beautiful campground

Adequately spaced sites, next to a creek. Well maintained, nice hiking trails. $12/night. Allows dogs and has good cell service. Picnic tables and fire pits.

Primitive w/ Sparse Amenities

This campground was just up canyon from the Montpelier Canyon established campground and the KOA's.  Theres nothing fancy about this dispersed camping area at all, but it does give you solitude and a nice little stream to sit near.  We encountered large almost parking lot areas at varying distances from the main road.  It is all dispersed with no bathrooms or anything else that comes with a developed campground.  You could probably bring your horses up and ride the whole side canyon and possible do some hunting when the season comes around

CLOSED DOWN!

This site right off the road looks like it used to be a nice primitive camping area right on the river.  There are remains of what looks like a road but there are large boulders blocking the pathway.  An electrified single band fence is also blocking the old road a little before you get to the boulders.  If you want to camp in this canyon, your better options are Home Canyon and the KOA

Bring the water toys

Spacious dispersed camping on the edge of the Palisades Reservoir, but no amenities so come prepared! The road is a bit narrow and rutted, but those confident in their driving skills will be fine. There are so many options here!

There is a dirt “boat ramp”, but due to the amount of driftwood I would not recommend anything with a trailer until that’s cleaned up. Further down the road is a proper ramp if you need it, but we put our kayaks and floats right in there.

On a hot July weekend, this was a very popular spot. Not for those looking for peace and quiet in the campsite, but if you get in the water you can peacefully float around for hours, unless you kept your cellphone on! This area has pretty good service.

Despite previous reviews, I did not see toilets. There’s a few fire pits, the large one is a communal one of sorts. Bring a backup solution if fire cooking was your meal prep plan. Mosquitoes were definitely present also.

Solitude !

Great dispersed camping area. Appears to be used by a lot of hunters. There is a nice big picnic table at one site and a few spots with campfire rings and meat poles. There are no other amenities. The Greys River is right near camp as well as Spring Creek. The Spring Creek Falls trailhead has a river crossing at the 2 mile mark, sign states it is 5 miles to the falls. I didn’t venture further than that. I stayed at this campground because I was hiking up Wyoming Peak in the morning. Wyoming Peak was a wonderful hike, highly recommend! This summer has had the most amazing wildflowers!

Amazing wild flowers !

This remote cabin can be rented for $30 night if not in use by the forest service staff. This is a popular destination for snowmobiling in the winter month and fly fishing in the summer. I visited in July and the wild flowers were incredible in LaBarge Meadows. This is near the Tri-Basin drainage. The trail head for the Lander Cut-Off Trail is right at the cabin. There is an outhouse, picnic table in the yard and a fire ring. There is a stream right along the cabin and there is writer plumbing in the summer months.
There is a doorknob lock that you enter a code into to access the cabin that is provided upon your reservation. Call 307-877-4415 to make your reservation!

Not motorcycle friendly

All of the tent sites are not “accessible” by motorcycle, meaning they won’t allow you to try. We were on adventure bikes and were forced to camp in a small group site that I can only describe as a dirt corral. The prices were also ridiculous, however they had free showers and we were tired. Tent sites were $50-$65 and the rustic cabins started at $140. The tent sites are along the river, so there is deep sand and gravel. I would not stay again.

Peaceful

Wonderful spot most sites were filled but the group area had a few spots with picnic tables left. I opted for 5 a small turnout next to the river. A short walk to probably the cleanest pit toilets I have ever seen. I will definitely camp here again.

What a beautiful area to camp! Dispersed camping with space for very large groups. Lots of dirt bike/quad trails. Beautiful views. Wish we could have stayed longer. Only annoying thing when we were there was there was a lot of cattle coming into our camp all the time. But other than that this place is great.

OMG! Campground Nightmare!

My boyfriend reserved this campground online and little did we know what a ummm how shall I say a crap site it was! We arrived and as we pulled in our campsite was directly in front of us and almost in a triangle share site. We had NO room for our tent, canopy and car! The hugs were horrible and everything around us was way overgrown. I know there was suppose to be a creek but never saw it! We kept driving around saying Is this really it?! It was just so depressing and just a shady place. Now when I say shady do not mean like there was shade I meant as we must be getting punk’d! Thankfully there was a KOA we had passed and ended up there and we can’t thank them enough for giving us a great campsite! If I should ever want to produce a super low budget horror movie I would go here. There is not one thing we can say about this campground to even give it a higher rating! If there were negative ratings this site would be on it….Been there, done it, never again!

Loved this KOA!

We got the last site which was for a RV but was given to us for our tent camping. It had both water and electric hook ups on site, and plenty of space for our tent. I gave this KOA 5 Stars all due to the site #26! We were directly next to a river stream which we were able to take our camp chairs and sit in the water. Like our own private oasis. Our site had a section that was concrete and that’s where my boyfriend had set up our kitchen area. #26 didn’t have anyone right directly next to us just a wooden rail and a river stream. The bathrooms were super clean and the showers were a good size also. Loved how they had a tv in the bathrooms. Shower while listening to the news or a tv show. They had a cute little store that sold a variety of camping items and food and drinks, candy, chips, medicines, toiletries and much more. Even though we didn’t hit the pool there was one and a nice size play area for the kids, and horseshoes for bigger kids. Also it’s about a 25min drive to the beautiful Bear Lake! Gorgeous! I will most definitely stay here again and again and will ask for #26! Thanks KOA for making our trip a great one! See you soon!

Loved it!

We loved our stay at Paris Springs. The campground was in great shape, the drive up to our site was amazingly beautiful, and the campground hosts were very attentive and thoughtful. We misplaced our tent stakes and they offered some of theirs that they had. It was a windy night so we were very grateful. There’s a short 5 minute hike right by campground #4 that leads to an cool waterfall. It was a great way to start the morning.

The only issues that we had was that the water running to each campsite wasn’t drinkable so it was shut off. They discounted our nightly price in half which was nice though. Also, the water that runs along the side of the campground was high right now so some of the campgrounds were under water or muddy. That was only on 2 out of the 12 camp sites.

Other than that it was a great location, beautiful scenery, close to hikes, and not far from Bear Lake. We will definitely be coming back. Highly recommend camping there!

Quite and comfortable. Nice showers and right on the snake river

Very good value compared to others in the area.

Diamond Creek Guard Station

We cheated. It was too cold to sleep outdoors the month we arrived at the Diamond Creek Campground… give us a break, we're from Arizona!

The guard station can be rented cheaply through Recreation.gov and it was worth every penny! With a wood-burning stove, we stayed nice and toasty. There were plenty of cots to move close to the wood-burning stove for a cozy night sleep.

Lower and Upper Palisades lakes

This was an amazing overnight camping excursion.

Hiking Big Elk.

Can be very busy in summer months.

Pitched a Tent

Selected a great site w/o advanced registration - right on the Snake River. The staff was super nice, everything seemed adequate and clean. The upper area w/RVs and Cabins looked a little crowded, but the tent sites were tucked away. Really had a nice stay - our neighbors had SUPER whiny babies, but hey man… that's KOA sometimes. The river drowned out any other noises.

Intimate, beautiful, great fish!

This campground has a small number of lots, and when we were there in July most were filled by RVs. Only one had a noisy generator;) our spot was right next to the roaring Palisades Creek, and a short walk to restrooms. Only 15 bucks a night;)

Nice, clean place, easy access

Pro: easy access, right off the highway. Con: right off the highway, traffic noise. Located right off Hwy 189/191 about 8 miles from Hoback Junction the WEST side of the highway. I camped here for 1 evening before a Grand Teton summit trip. I chose this campground for decent proximity to GTNP (45 minutes away) and the availablity and easy access of sites. I believe there were 12 sites that all had picnic tables and fire rings. There were several other cleared sites, some without tables and grills, that had alpha identifiers other than the 12 numeric sites. Not certain how many alph sites, but looked like tent only sites. They were all $15 nightly and an additional $7 for extra vehicle. They had one site with electricity, right next to the camp host. this one site is $25 a night. The campground has pit toilets, bear boxes, water, dumpsters. The Hoback Runs next to several of the campsites. I would highly recommend getting as near the river as possible to drown out the noise from the highway. Camp hosts were very nice! I only had a $20 to pay my fee with. They brought $5.00 in change back to my campsite after I placed it in the depository. They have firewood for purchase for $6.00 a bundle. I was a runner up in a Dyrt camping contest last month. with my REI gift card I purchased the Big Agnes MountainGlo tent lights and a Sea to Summit sleeping bag liner. Fun to try these out!

Loving life in Jackson Hole

Great little hide away !! Love Jackson Hole would live there if I had the opertunity

great place to camp and visit ! Close to everything Has all the nessesities for camping.. Don’t be surprised if you have an animal visitor at night. Clean

Ranger Review: Humangear at Cottonwood Lake Campground

Campground Review: As you enter the forest boundary, there is a sign alerting you to road damage. The road is pretty rough getting into the campground. You will encounter some pretty significant potholes and washouts. Just take it slow, you’ll be fine. Also, the campground is not on the lake, it is about a 1/4 mile from the lake. The campground is quite nice back in the trees. There are 2 separate forks, one for equestrians and the other allows off-road vehicles.

I camped at site 13. It was near the water supply and a couple sites away from the restroom. It was also very close to the ORV trailhead. The only bear boxes are located by the restroom, which I though was unusual. I just made sure any food items were stored away in my vehicle and locked vs storing in the bear box. The campground was about half full on a Friday. The group site does require a reservation. The site I occupied had a small iron fire ring with a grill component. Some other sites had much larger cement fire rings. The lake is spectacular! it is the prettiest shade of teal. There is a boat dock at the far end of the lake. Near the parking area there is a beach area where you can kayak and paddle board from. The lake has brown and cutthroat trout. They were jumping like crazy in the evening and the fly fishing was excellent! I used my favorite yellow caddis. It was a little more difficult from shore but the boaters were killing it. I could have easily spent the whole weekend up here. My reason for visiting this area was to get away from the madness of the Lincoln County Fair that I was in the area attending and supporting my kids in 4-H. I prefer the solitude of camping in the forest ca the commercial campground at the fairgrounds.

This campground is recommended it you are interested in the following: horseback riding, fly fishing, kayaking, paddle boarding, canoeing, hiking, ORV, wildlife viewing. Something for everyone!

Gear Review: Humangear http://www.humangear.com/ Quick Bites, Go-Tubes, FlexiBowl. As a Ranger with the Dyrt, I occasionally receive gear to field test while camping. While planning for this trip, I brought some easy dinner items to quickly toss together. Prior to leaving, I mixed up some sauce at home and transported it in my GoTube. It was perfect! The opening to the soft silicone container is nice and wide. I added some chili sauce, soy sauce, and Sriracha to the tube and replaced the lid and shook it to mix. The lid has a nice mechanism that will lock the lid to prevent it from opening during transport. When squeezed, the contents are very controlled and there is no drip once you release. I used the FlexiBowl to mix up my concoction at camp. I emptied a tin of canned chicken int the bowel. The top inch or so of the bowel will fold down to create a wider opening. I used my Go-Bites spork to mix the sauce i brought with the chicken. I ate this on crackers. It was delicious after a long day. Pardon my dark demo video, it was 9 pm when I got around to eating. Prior to having the Humangear Go-Bites double ended spork, I had a light my fire spork. I was doing a side by side demo of the strength and barely put any effort on the ends of the light my fire sport and it split in two. I'm a fan of the Humangear eating utensils. I have also use the DuoBites which are a fork and spoon that slide into each other for transport and so they stay together. I really like both utensils that i have tried! I also have to throw in a GREAT word for the Humangear CapCap! This is a huge step up in my Nalgene game! I don't know how i got by without one! No more spills down the front of my shirt! Bonus!

Good quiet spot

The bathrooms here are very well maintained and it was very quiet. The park was entirely campers and RVs, so our tent seemed out of place. The sites are close to the road, but it stayed pretty quiet and we could hear the river.

Very nice but very noisy

It was a great campground but there were some very noisy people duromg quiet hours that no one seemed to monitor…