Afton, WYOMING

Most Recent Afton Camping Reviews
Beautiful area

There’s no place more beautiful than Jackson hole in the summer time. Really you can’t go wrong with any of the campgrounds I’ve been to in this are, but I really like the quiet, small nature of hoback.

These sites are super adorable and all of them are nice. Really I didn’t see any bad looking ones. Can’t reserve these sites though, just first come. There are some basic bathrooms, but no showers.

Really what’s great about this place is the scenery and the activities. There’s some great climbing right at hoback shield. Jenny lake is a nice hike. Backpacking along the Teton crest trail. There’s some good mountain biking right outside of the city.

Definitely hit up the snake river brewery while you’re in town! All around amazing place.

Great spot

We camped here in a tent passing through on our way north. Only cost us $10. Pretty spot and only a couple other campers in the area that night so we had plenty of privacy. It does appear that it is closed in winter but there is a forest road just south that you could camp on for free I'm sure.

Everything you need and not too crowded.

The beach and the sunset views over the water and mountains are amazing. It's smallish but you never feel like it's over crowded.

Great location

Big Elk Campground in Irwin, Idaho is a great location for anyone looking for seclusion, while still being close enough to a town if you forgot any supplies. The camp host was very friendly, and the camp sites were clean and well maintained.

Lots of beauty

Tons of game and fish, lots of fire wood, and Rocky Mountain pine beetles. The down side is narrow roads, trash everywhere I mean people quit littering.

Breath taking

It's her favorite place to go I like to Camp, Creek fish, hunt there. The only down side is the narrow roads

Breath taking

I love to camp, Creek fish, and hunt there the only minus side is the narrow roads

Breathtaking from every angle.

1 maybe 2 primitive sites. No power, toilets, cell service or potable water, but this place is magical. I have been going up to this area for decades and it still elicits a response that is down to my core. Beautiful in any direction, peaceful and eerie. It is getting more used as the valley below expands, the Cutthroats don't bite as they once did, and I believe the mosquitoes are thicker… If the sites by the reservoir are taken there are some down the canyon a little ways, keep an eye out for the spring that comes out of a small pipe next to the road…best water EVER! Don't try the road without a slightly clearanced vehicle, there is a few gnarly parts. Even in early summer check to make sure the road is open, avalanches do happen often up there and can cause it to be closed into summer. I'm not going to give a step by step directions list, if you want it its worth the extra effort. Bring warm clothes just in case. Please pack out what you pack in and leave it better than you found it. Enjoy.

Great secluded little spot

Allred creek campground is a great spot with plenty of trees and nice well taken care of sites. Sites are RV friendly. Very limited on the info I have because of the short duration I was there, but I loved it and plan on visiting it again. Enjoy

Nice location on the river

Stopped here while passing through town. Nicely tucked along the snake river. Stayed in a cabin and was small but nice. Bathrooms/showers were clean. Good WiFi in the lobby/rec room.

Quite and clean

Staff will help ensure a relaxing stay. Pool is heated but not hot, due to being in the trees there is a few floating items but gets cleaned every day. Creek runs through the front of camp. You can fish in it. Playground is adequate for children. Plenty of dog runs.

Awesome dispersed camping spot!

I camped here during a Snake River float trip. Easy to get to launch quickly and close proximity to Alpine WY where you can pick up supplies. There are no amenities at the campground. It is just across the Idaho/Wyoming boarder and on the banks of the Palisades Reservoir. There are trees along the banks. Only fire pits available. No tables, bathrooms, nothing. So please practice good camping etiquette and pack out everything. Gets pretty

Oasis below the dam

Nice little place. Stay limit is 14 days. They have pull through electric sites, Several non-electric back in sites, and a few sites next to the Snake River. If you want to dump at the dump site, make sure you have your paper to prove you are or did stay at the park or they will charge you $5 to dump your black tank. They will also charge for filling fresh water if you don’t have your paid site stub.

Nice but not much There

There's not much here in terms of amenities and shade.  The toilets are pretty old evident from the screwed on toilet seats.  The campsites don't have very much shade but they are close to the river.  There are picnic tables and metal fire rings with grills for bbqing.

Nice Little KOA by the Creek

This KOA is close to the mouth of Montpelier Canyonand therefore can be hot in the summer.  It does however lie right next to the creek!  Also right next to the creek before the campground is a doggy walking and poo area.  The office is large and has quite a few convenience items.  There are shaded picnic areas and camping with options for hookuos, the standard KOA stuff.  A little bonus was the kids playground complete with swings and other toys

Beautiful Spot Next to the River

St charles campground in namesake St Charles Canyon was a nice little campsite that has 1 group site and 6 individual campsites.  There is a good amount of shade at nearly all the campgrounds and they are close to the creek.  It has simple amenities like vault toilets, metal fire rings and picnic tables.  Nearby is the beautiful Minnetonka cave and Bear Lake where you can recreate in numerous ways!  In the campground there were many wild rose bushes blooming and raspberries that had yet to fruit

Might be nice for RVs?

Just want to start out saying that this is an RV only campground.  This campground however seems more like a trailer park as the office looked vacated and they weren't accepting day to day overnight stays.  There wasn't a lot in the terms of amenities except for the basic RV hookups and a shade and bbq area.  It's also in the middle of town so theres not really a lot to do.  Good for a quick last resort as you roll into town around midnight

Beautiful campground

Adequately spaced sites, next to a creek. Well maintained, nice hiking trails. $12/night. Allows dogs and has good cell service. Picnic tables and fire pits.

Primitive w/ Sparse Amenities

This campground was just up canyon from the Montpelier Canyon established campground and the KOA's.  Theres nothing fancy about this dispersed camping area at all, but it does give you solitude and a nice little stream to sit near.  We encountered large almost parking lot areas at varying distances from the main road.  It is all dispersed with no bathrooms or anything else that comes with a developed campground.  You could probably bring your horses up and ride the whole side canyon and possible do some hunting when the season comes around

CLOSED DOWN!

This site right off the road looks like it used to be a nice primitive camping area right on the river.  There are remains of what looks like a road but there are large boulders blocking the pathway.  An electrified single band fence is also blocking the old road a little before you get to the boulders.  If you want to camp in this canyon, your better options are Home Canyon and the KOA

Bring the water toys

Spacious dispersed camping on the edge of the Palisades Reservoir, but no amenities so come prepared! The road is a bit narrow and rutted, but those confident in their driving skills will be fine. There are so many options here!

There is a dirt “boat ramp”, but due to the amount of driftwood I would not recommend anything with a trailer until that’s cleaned up. Further down the road is a proper ramp if you need it, but we put our kayaks and floats right in there.

On a hot July weekend, this was a very popular spot. Not for those looking for peace and quiet in the campsite, but if you get in the water you can peacefully float around for hours, unless you kept your cellphone on! This area has pretty good service.

Despite previous reviews, I did not see toilets. There’s a few fire pits, the large one is a communal one of sorts. Bring a backup solution if fire cooking was your meal prep plan. Mosquitoes were definitely present also.

Solitude !

Great dispersed camping area. Appears to be used by a lot of hunters. There is a nice big picnic table at one site and a few spots with campfire rings and meat poles. There are no other amenities. The Greys River is right near camp as well as Spring Creek. The Spring Creek Falls trailhead has a river crossing at the 2 mile mark, sign states it is 5 miles to the falls. I didn’t venture further than that. I stayed at this campground because I was hiking up Wyoming Peak in the morning. Wyoming Peak was a wonderful hike, highly recommend! This summer has had the most amazing wildflowers!

Amazing wild flowers !

This remote cabin can be rented for $30 night if not in use by the forest service staff. This is a popular destination for snowmobiling in the winter month and fly fishing in the summer. I visited in July and the wild flowers were incredible in LaBarge Meadows. This is near the Tri-Basin drainage. The trail head for the Lander Cut-Off Trail is right at the cabin. There is an outhouse, picnic table in the yard and a fire ring. There is a stream right along the cabin and there is writer plumbing in the summer months.
There is a doorknob lock that you enter a code into to access the cabin that is provided upon your reservation. Call 307-877-4415 to make your reservation!

Not motorcycle friendly

All of the tent sites are not “accessible” by motorcycle, meaning they won’t allow you to try. We were on adventure bikes and were forced to camp in a small group site that I can only describe as a dirt corral. The prices were also ridiculous, however they had free showers and we were tired. Tent sites were $50-$65 and the rustic cabins started at $140. The tent sites are along the river, so there is deep sand and gravel. I would not stay again.

Peaceful

Wonderful spot most sites were filled but the group area had a few spots with picnic tables left. I opted for 5 a small turnout next to the river. A short walk to probably the cleanest pit toilets I have ever seen. I will definitely camp here again.

What a beautiful area to camp! Dispersed camping with space for very large groups. Lots of dirt bike/quad trails. Beautiful views. Wish we could have stayed longer. Only annoying thing when we were there was there was a lot of cattle coming into our camp all the time. But other than that this place is great.

OMG! Campground Nightmare!

My boyfriend reserved this campground online and little did we know what a ummm how shall I say a crap site it was! We arrived and as we pulled in our campsite was directly in front of us and almost in a triangle share site. We had NO room for our tent, canopy and car! The hugs were horrible and everything around us was way overgrown. I know there was suppose to be a creek but never saw it! We kept driving around saying Is this really it?! It was just so depressing and just a shady place. Now when I say shady do not mean like there was shade I meant as we must be getting punk’d! Thankfully there was a KOA we had passed and ended up there and we can’t thank them enough for giving us a great campsite! If I should ever want to produce a super low budget horror movie I would go here. There is not one thing we can say about this campground to even give it a higher rating! If there were negative ratings this site would be on it….Been there, done it, never again!

Loved this KOA!

We got the last site which was for a RV but was given to us for our tent camping. It had both water and electric hook ups on site, and plenty of space for our tent. I gave this KOA 5 Stars all due to the site #26! We were directly next to a river stream which we were able to take our camp chairs and sit in the water. Like our own private oasis. Our site had a section that was concrete and that’s where my boyfriend had set up our kitchen area. #26 didn’t have anyone right directly next to us just a wooden rail and a river stream. The bathrooms were super clean and the showers were a good size also. Loved how they had a tv in the bathrooms. Shower while listening to the news or a tv show. They had a cute little store that sold a variety of camping items and food and drinks, candy, chips, medicines, toiletries and much more. Even though we didn’t hit the pool there was one and a nice size play area for the kids, and horseshoes for bigger kids. Also it’s about a 25min drive to the beautiful Bear Lake! Gorgeous! I will most definitely stay here again and again and will ask for #26! Thanks KOA for making our trip a great one! See you soon!

Loved it!

We loved our stay at Paris Springs. The campground was in great shape, the drive up to our site was amazingly beautiful, and the campground hosts were very attentive and thoughtful. We misplaced our tent stakes and they offered some of theirs that they had. It was a windy night so we were very grateful. There’s a short 5 minute hike right by campground #4 that leads to an cool waterfall. It was a great way to start the morning.

The only issues that we had was that the water running to each campsite wasn’t drinkable so it was shut off. They discounted our nightly price in half which was nice though. Also, the water that runs along the side of the campground was high right now so some of the campgrounds were under water or muddy. That was only on 2 out of the 12 camp sites.

Other than that it was a great location, beautiful scenery, close to hikes, and not far from Bear Lake. We will definitely be coming back. Highly recommend camping there!