Afton, WYOMING
Most Recent Afton Camping Reviews
Quite and comfortable. Nice showers and right on the snake river

Very good value compared to others in the area.

Diamond Creek Guard Station

We cheated. It was too cold to sleep outdoors the month we arrived at the Diamond Creek Campground… give us a break, we're from Arizona!

The guard station can be rented cheaply through Recreation.gov and it was worth every penny! With a wood-burning stove, we stayed nice and toasty. There were plenty of cots to move close to the wood-burning stove for a cozy night sleep.

Lower and Upper Palisades lakes

This was an amazing overnight camping excursion.

Hiking Big Elk.

Can be very busy in summer months.

Pitched a Tent

Selected a great site w/o advanced registration - right on the Snake River. The staff was super nice, everything seemed adequate and clean. The upper area w/RVs and Cabins looked a little crowded, but the tent sites were tucked away. Really had a nice stay - our neighbors had SUPER whiny babies, but hey man… that's KOA sometimes. The river drowned out any other noises.

Intimate, beautiful, great fish!

This campground has a small number of lots, and when we were there in July most were filled by RVs. Only one had a noisy generator;) our spot was right next to the roaring Palisades Creek, and a short walk to restrooms. Only 15 bucks a night;)

Nice, clean place, easy access

Pro: easy access, right off the highway. Con: right off the highway, traffic noise. Located right off Hwy 189/191 about 8 miles from Hoback Junction the WEST side of the highway. I camped here for 1 evening before a Grand Teton summit trip. I chose this campground for decent proximity to GTNP (45 minutes away) and the availablity and easy access of sites. I believe there were 12 sites that all had picnic tables and fire rings. There were several other cleared sites, some without tables and grills, that had alpha identifiers other than the 12 numeric sites. Not certain how many alph sites, but looked like tent only sites. They were all $15 nightly and an additional $7 for extra vehicle. They had one site with electricity, right next to the camp host. this one site is $25 a night. The campground has pit toilets, bear boxes, water, dumpsters. The Hoback Runs next to several of the campsites. I would highly recommend getting as near the river as possible to drown out the noise from the highway. Camp hosts were very nice! I only had a $20 to pay my fee with. They brought $5.00 in change back to my campsite after I placed it in the depository. They have firewood for purchase for $6.00 a bundle. I was a runner up in a Dyrt camping contest last month. with my REI gift card I purchased the Big Agnes MountainGlo tent lights and a Sea to Summit sleeping bag liner. Fun to try these out!

Loving life in Jackson Hole

Great little hide away !! Love Jackson Hole would live there if I had the opertunity

great place to camp and visit ! Close to everything Has all the nessesities for camping.. Don’t be surprised if you have an animal visitor at night. Clean

Ranger Review: Humangear at Cottonwood Lake Campground

Campground Review: As you enter the forest boundary, there is a sign alerting you to road damage. The road is pretty rough getting into the campground. You will encounter some pretty significant potholes and washouts. Just take it slow, you’ll be fine. Also, the campground is not on the lake, it is about a 1/4 mile from the lake. The campground is quite nice back in the trees. There are 2 separate forks, one for equestrians and the other allows off-road vehicles.

I camped at site 13. It was near the water supply and a couple sites away from the restroom. It was also very close to the ORV trailhead. The only bear boxes are located by the restroom, which I though was unusual. I just made sure any food items were stored away in my vehicle and locked vs storing in the bear box. The campground was about half full on a Friday. The group site does require a reservation. The site I occupied had a small iron fire ring with a grill component. Some other sites had much larger cement fire rings. The lake is spectacular! it is the prettiest shade of teal. There is a boat dock at the far end of the lake. Near the parking area there is a beach area where you can kayak and paddle board from. The lake has brown and cutthroat trout. They were jumping like crazy in the evening and the fly fishing was excellent! I used my favorite yellow caddis. It was a little more difficult from shore but the boaters were killing it. I could have easily spent the whole weekend up here. My reason for visiting this area was to get away from the madness of the Lincoln County Fair that I was in the area attending and supporting my kids in 4-H. I prefer the solitude of camping in the forest ca the commercial campground at the fairgrounds.

This campground is recommended it you are interested in the following: horseback riding, fly fishing, kayaking, paddle boarding, canoeing, hiking, ORV, wildlife viewing. Something for everyone!

Gear Review: Humangear http://www.humangear.com/ Quick Bites, Go-Tubes, FlexiBowl. As a Ranger with the Dyrt, I occasionally receive gear to field test while camping. While planning for this trip, I brought some easy dinner items to quickly toss together. Prior to leaving, I mixed up some sauce at home and transported it in my GoTube. It was perfect! The opening to the soft silicone container is nice and wide. I added some chili sauce, soy sauce, and Sriracha to the tube and replaced the lid and shook it to mix. The lid has a nice mechanism that will lock the lid to prevent it from opening during transport. When squeezed, the contents are very controlled and there is no drip once you release. I used the FlexiBowl to mix up my concoction at camp. I emptied a tin of canned chicken int the bowel. The top inch or so of the bowel will fold down to create a wider opening. I used my Go-Bites spork to mix the sauce i brought with the chicken. I ate this on crackers. It was delicious after a long day. Pardon my dark demo video, it was 9 pm when I got around to eating. Prior to having the Humangear Go-Bites double ended spork, I had a light my fire spork. I was doing a side by side demo of the strength and barely put any effort on the ends of the light my fire sport and it split in two. I'm a fan of the Humangear eating utensils. I have also use the DuoBites which are a fork and spoon that slide into each other for transport and so they stay together. I really like both utensils that i have tried! I also have to throw in a GREAT word for the Humangear CapCap! This is a huge step up in my Nalgene game! I don't know how i got by without one! No more spills down the front of my shirt! Bonus!

Good quiet spot

The bathrooms here are very well maintained and it was very quiet. The park was entirely campers and RVs, so our tent seemed out of place. The sites are close to the road, but it stayed pretty quiet and we could hear the river.

Very nice but very noisy

It was a great campground but there were some very noisy people duromg quiet hours that no one seemed to monitor…

great location... buggy in late July

We stayed here for its proximity to Jackson, Grand Tetons NP and Yellowstone NP without having to deal with camping inside the NPs and still stay fairly close to our next stop in W Montana. The park is one small loop. The sites are spacious and clean. The pit toilets are clean. No showers. AT&T service was non-existent for data… phone coverage was just ok. The camp host is very friendly. He was able to point us to an RV dump station at the Palisades Dam campground where we were able to dump after we left. The only negative about the park was the bugs. Not just mosquitos, but also other annoying bugs. The only wildlife in or around the park were squirrels and birds.

Hike-able, fish-able, LOVE-ABLE!

There are many pay to park camp areas around here and also some free areas if you’re adventurous enough! Lots of land to explore and fishing is great!

Incredible Views and TOTAL Privacy

As I was driving over Salt River Pass I noticed a small dirt road on the side of the highway. Upon checking Google Maps Satellite View, I could see that the road ended in a campsite, so I decided to scout it. The road is HEAVILY rutted, and would be impassible for a regular car, but it was easy to pass in my Sprinter Van. The campsite is STUNNING, in a field of wildflowers, RIGHT near the highway, but totally isolated and private.

www.welovetoexplore.com

Horrible

I would give this place no stars if I could! All of the spaces are crammed so tight. there is no room for anything. You would open your door into another camper! Do not camp at the tent sites if you have a tent bigger than a one person. Also be prepared to have trouble getting in and out if you don’t have a 4-wheel drive vehicle. Extremely dangerous road down to the tent sites. You can’t see cars that are coming your way and it’s barely wide enough for one car. This place is also the most outrageous campground I have ever stayed at. $65 bucks for nothing. Not even a site big enough for my tent and car. Mold all over the bathrooms. And extremely rude management. They have no idea what customer service is and do not care about you or your safety. Spend the money and stay somewhere else or make the drive and stay in one of the parks. This place is awful and noisy.

Near the water

Right off a "thumb" on the Palisades reservoir, this is an amazing site with many recreational options. Paddling, hiking, bird watching - saw an osprey with an enormous fish and then later a pair of bald eagles. It was fun floating around on our kayaks and paddle boards; there were a few smaller boats and jet skis around as well.

We were there on a busy weekend, but the sites are all nicely separated so it still felt secluded! Plenty of vault toilets and a few group site options as well. The group sites are reservable, but the remaining are first-come first serve.

Peaceful, beautiful, great location

Beautiful 20 spot campground across from the snake river. Tents and RV welcome. No hookups but water spickets available. Clean bathrooms. Picnic tables, fire rings, and very large spots. Some pull through. Great location out of Jackson Hole just a short drive from the Grand Tetons. Campground sits in a gorge so mountains and trees as far as you can see. We walked in and easily had our choice of over 15 open spots. Was only $10-$15 bucks I think.

Ranger Review: ICEMULE at Lake Alice Campground

Disclosure: It is NOT 3.5 miles to the campground, it is 1.5 to the lake and another to .25 or so to the camping area on the east side of the lake. The app on my phone was screwy. Sorry for the confusion in my videos.

Campground Review: For a primitive camping area this place is pretty sweet! They have metal fire rings with grills and there is an outhouse as well. The picnic tables are built of of half hewn logs. I did see that one of the tables at a site was badly broken, so everything is not in the best repair. There was also garbage left behind by the previous visitors which we packed out for them. The views more than make up for it, though! This lake is the most beautiful blue-green color. Lake Alice is home to the only pure lake strain of Bonneville Cutthroat Trout in Wyoming. We caught about 4 this trip but I wasn't quick enough with the camera to share any shots. We had to leave just as the fishing was getting good in the evening. Fish AM/PM, the wind can pick up in the afternoons, and temps rise making fishing not so great in the afternoon. Horseback riders are frequently in the area, so make way for them on the trail. We passed a string of about 8 riders going in further. You can trail ride through all the way to La Barge Creek Road. The campsite at the very beginning of the lake has a primitive corral for the horses. There are a few ambitious folks who have packed canoes into the lake. There are also some forest service water crafts locked away. Maybe if you had the right connections…It would be so fun to canoe this lake!

If you continue along Poker Creek Trail that follows the east side of the lake, you can visit Mount Isabel which is 5 miles from the start of Lake Alice. Poker Creek Trail will reach LaBarge Creek Road at mile 9.

Don'f forget to leave no trace! Picking up after others is frustrating.

Gear Review: ICEMULE Coolers https://icemulecoolers.com/collections/pro-coolers/products/the-icemule-pro-large Occasionally the Dyrt will provide gear to demo on camping trips. I had the opportunity to demo the ICEMULE Pro Large Soft cooler. I have been using this cooler for a little over a month now and it has come along on a variety of adventures and has not failed! This was the longest trek I've carried the cooler. We went for a day trip into Lake Alice. The trail to the lake is 1.5 miles. I was able to pack the fully loaded cooler with lunch, drinks, and snacks for 4, into the lake comfortably. I loved that this cooler has the crisscross bungee cord to hold additional gear. It held my fly rod case snugly as we packed in. The cooler has a vent on the side, you can inflate the side walls to help extend the insulating factor of the cooler. It also helps it float! The bag rolls closed like a dry bag and clips closed. The shoulder straps are adjustable and there is a chest strop for a good fit. It worked just as good as a garbage receptacle as we packed out trash we found in the campground. #leaveitbetterthanyoufoundit

Hoback Junction - first come, first serve. Campground is small (12 sites) and camp host Keith is a riot. A great place to stop prior to Jackson WY and the Teton/Yellowstone area.

nice place along the Hoback river, our site was a little messy from previous campers which brought bugs…all in all a great place.

Great place to relax or raft

First-come, first-served so get there near noon for a spot along the Snake River.

The camp host keeps the sites and composting toilets clean.

Eagles and osprey nest across cross the river.

Good base camp

this is a great place to stay for a base camp for Yellowstone, the Tetons and the hot springs. Also campgrounds with showers are a plus.

Relax in the trees or right next to the water

on the way to the campground you will travel down dirt roads that are full of scenic views. when you get to the sites it is hard to choose if you want to be right next to the water where you can fish for trout or remain tucked in the woods. both are peaceful and leave society behind.

amazingly beautiful. campground was great

Too flat

Not that great of scenery and it’s too flat so the wind gets at it too much

heaven on earth

Alpine north is located right off Hwy 26. The campground offers potable water and restrooms. We stayed on site 11 and the backdrop was beautiful Pallisades Reservoir. The site itself was big enough for a 40’ fifth wheel. The town of Alpine is in close proximity (2 miles). The campground is very tranquil.

Quiet campground

Very quiet campground but tent sites are very close together. Tent sites can also get very muddy if it rains because there is very little grass at the sites.

Nice forest camping close to Bear Lake

Easily accessible. Close to lots of attractions in the Bear Lake area, but far enough from everyone else. the campground is in a beautiful forest with lots of trails and space to explore. Can be a very popular and crowded place on holiday weekends.

Great Easy Place

Dispersed camping. Does have a toilets

Beautiful & Secluded

There is a campground but there is also dispersed free camping all along the lake. This is a beautiful place. Bring Bug Spray

Beautiful KOA on the Wyoming/ Idaho border

I like staying at KOA’s during road trips - I choose a cabin so I can have a bed, there are plenty of things for the kids to do and everyone can find their pace/place to wind down from the day. Some are definitely better than others - Montpelier Creek was one of the BEST. This is a beautiful KOA. Our cabin was right on the creek, and I found my pace and place on the porch and nature trail watching birds and listening to the creek while the kids enjoyed the pool and playground. Everything was in great shape, including the shower house. Wonderful area with lots of history and natural beauty.