the dyrt
Drive In, Walk In, Hike In, Boat In
Devils Lake State Park is located in Wisconsin
44 Reviews of Devils Lake State Park
Amazing!!

Absolutely adored. Stopped by on a road trip from Minnesota to Maryland and was my absolute favorite stop!

One of the best WI state parks!

The good news about camping in the “off” season is fewer crowds; the bad news is that many of the perks (concessions, boat rentals,etc) are not available. After summer during the week, the only campground available is Quartzite (I believe there are two others plus a group campground). The bathrooms in Quartzite were new and very clean. Trails are plentiful and some are quite challenging but offer fantastic views. Trails are well marked. We were there on a cold, cloudy day but I think it is the best time to visit.Of all the Wisconsin State parks we have camped in recently, Devil’s Lake is the best!

Midwest Surprise

Growing up in the city of Chicago, I didnt realize there were "mountains" in the midwest! My first time going here, I was in awe of the lack of flat prairie land, as I was used to for the area. My friend and I reserved a tipi several months in advance. We spent two nights and it was spectacular. We rented a canoe, which I highly recommend, enjoyed the trail that went around the entirety of Devils lake, and also hit up Devils Doorway for a sunset hike. I had to keep reminding myself that I was in the midwest!

Also, as most camping in the area, the raccoons can get aggressive, so keep your camp clean and food stored away. Keep a flashlight nearby and look out for glowing eyes in the trees and bushes!

Its very family friendly, and if you are looking to go when its more quiet, then try to go off-season, or rent a canoe and go far out onto the water ;)

Well Visited for Good Reason, a Must See in Wisconsin!

I've been camping at Devil's Lake Campground for 23 years now. I've camped primarily in Quartzite, but also in the Northern Lights section. I've been there to camp in spring, summer, and fall. Besides my camping trips I take numerous day trips to DL because even after all this time I can't get enough of it. So what should you know?

The Bad: It is CROWDED!!! Especially in the summer, especially on the weekend, if you're looking for a wilderness getaway this is probably not it.

The new warden situation is interesting. Things have gotten a lot more strict in some areas (ex. You can only have 2 vehicles on a site at any given time), and are a lot more lax in others mostly because instead of a team of rangers there's now only a few wardens. We had an incident the last time we camped and rhe wardens did take care of the situation quite well, but it would have been nice had it been avoided/prevented beforehand.

The fire pits are often in very bizarre places, and usually not moveable.

The good:

Despite the crowds this place is drop dead gorgeous. Large fish, great blue herons, turkey vultures, loons, and bald eagles are just a few of the things I enjoy spotting at DL. There's so many trails to hike. The beaches are great, though the south shore has always been rocky it is much improved. Personally I prefer for it to stay as natural as possible anyways. There's great chalets on the north and south shores that sell souveniers, food, including cedar crest ice cream, and more! Paddle boards, kayaks, canoes, and paddleboats are available for rental too. There's also dog friendly swim areas on both shores which I am so thankful for. Dogs are also allowed and just about all the trails! Modern recently redone bathrooms with flush toilets and showers are available in the Quartzite section. In Northern Lights sites are much more wooded, and there are still flush toilets and showers, but they are a bit older. Both areas are beautiful and have their perks. Honestly they feel like 2 totally different places which is very neat. Ice Age is similar to Northern Lights I believe, and there's also group sites on the South Side of the lake. I'd have to say DL is the closest to mountains you can find in Wisconsin. The sites are well maintained. I love this place. It really is my home away from home. I wish it hadn't gotten so crowded, but it does go to show how amazing it is!

Clean with Beautiful views from the trails

What a gem in central Wisconsin. Clean campground with wooded sites, great hiking trails and crystal clear lake with great beach area. This is the nicest park I’ve been to in a long time. Highly recommend. The balanced rock trail is not for the faint of heart but worth it for the views on the way up.

Phenomenal park, some campsites are full sun and NOT tent friendly

The trails and the views at this park are phenomenal. Find pictures of the campsites if possible, because some of the sites get a LOT of sun, and as we tent camp, it can be unbearable for our children. (We’ve camped with them yearly here since our littlest was 2, and that was the year we got a not so shaded site. Lesson learned.)

Family favorite

This historic campground has lots of site options, incredible hiking/rock climbing and a beach. Plan ahead for this place as it fills up quickly but is well worth it.

Awesome campground

One of the best in Wisconsin. Great place for swimming and hiking.

Budget and family friendly

We went during the week and it kept the crowds to a minimum. The south shore beach was best and we took the East Bluff trail to do some rock climbing with the kids. Reserved the group camp for three families, cost was $40 a night for a secluded, spacious, clean group site. we had a great time and will definitely return. The birds near the group camp are cool, but can also sound like a large pack of dinosaurs squawking at each other…very loud.

Nice Campground, Amazing Lake and Trail Views

We stayed here on one of our stops during our honeymoon road trip north. It was a nice campground, but very full when we went in June. That is to be expected most anywhere in the summer. We went kayaking because we were wanting to do something other than hang around the camp site. The trails are spectacular. Amazing views of the lake at the top. We enjoyed our stay here.