College Park , VIRGINIA

Most Recent College Park Camping Reviews
Extenuating circumstances

We arrived on opening day (March 19, 2021) for the season. They had unfortunately been a victim of the rain and the main road to the campground had washed out. Alternative routes were set up to enter and exit. I understand from reading other reviews that they can routinely have problems when it rains . We were placed in a small site in front of the check in location. We were pre assigned a site and not given a choice. The mud and puddles were so bad we couldn’t locate the sewer connection. But the next day they came over and found it for us and leveled out some gravel piles that had been dumped on the site. The site was level and gravel. A picnic table and fire ring was available. The roads are a bit narrow and there are lots of trees. Plenty of nice area to walk our dog. We didn’t use or even go in the bathhouses so can’t comment on those. All in all it was okay… as long as it doesn’t rain. It appeared there were some full time cabin residents and camper residents as well. Location was great and we loved going into Colonial Williamsburg from here.

Great park for every day

Nice walking trails for younger kids and easy access from both sides or town me an my son come here all the time

Meh!

This campground is definitely for trail bikers and RVers. The campsites fill up quickly. If you do not reserve your spot early, you may be placed near the road, where traffic is an issue. There is not much more to do at this park

Trails and Fun

We stayed here for three nights in October.   Sites are large and well shaded.   Water drainage is great.   A little uneven, but easy to handle.   We had a great time hiking down to the river and biking around the campground.   Very friendly and clean.  We will definitely return!

The Great Escape

We loved visiting Powhatan State Park. The fall foliage was very beautiful. The park staff and other campers were polite and helpful. I didn't expect to see bulletins of Virginia History on the grounds. But my inner nerd was intrigued. 🤓 We stayed during the week in October. It was warm enough during the day and got a bit chilly at night. Either way, we would definitely go again.

Great park!

Campground is waaayyy back in the back of park. Only a few years old. No full hookup (yes 30/50 amp). Well maintained trails, level sites. No river access in campground.

Quiet, spacious and heavily wooded sites

We stayed at site D100 for 10 days. The sites are quiet, very spacious, nicely spaced, some surprisingly so, but many are deceptively unlevel, particularly on the outside of the loops, and are heavily wooded. Some loops are primitive, some have only 20A service and some have 30A service and water hookup. There are no sewer hookups, but there is a dump station. There are a lot of low hanging branches on the roads through the park and it is showing some signs of age. There is some road noise from I 64, but not too bad if you stay deeper into the park and away from the lake. AT&T had 2 bars and 6 MB/s w/o a booster, 3 bars and 8 MB/s with it. There is no satellite coverage due to the heavy tree canopy. OTA TV was descent using an external omni antenna. There is no WiFi. We had the place pretty much to ourselves during the week, but the weekend did get busy. There is a very nice network of trails, most if not all were leashed dog friendly. The park is a civil war historic site and is close to a lot of other historic places.

Peaceful and quiet!

We stayed here in March and it was very cold for tent camping, I think it got into the 20's at night! There were no other campers staying there while we were there in the canoe-in campground so it was very peaceful and quiet. This campground is primitive so there is no electricity or water. The sites include a picnic table and fire ring. Our tent pad was pretty level and pretty big! You could probably fit two small tents on there. There is a short .2 mile hike from a parking lot so we packed light and backpacked in. We stayed in site 4, which is towards the back of the loop. Not much privacy in the winter because there are no leaves on the trees. This campground has a pit toilet at the front of the campground and fire wood available for purchase near the canoe launch.

We loved this park! The trails are fun and love all the beautiful views. We saw some incredible sunsets over the James River. There are all sorts of fun, gnarly trees for the kids to play on at the campsite! They had so much fun!

There are some great breweries nearby and only a short drive from Richmond and Charlottesville!

Perfect Weekend Getaway

There are several hike/boat-in sites that are in a separate area away from from the rest of the sites. We stayed in site 7 - best one! We were relatively secluded: could see/hear other campers but not much and didn’t bother us at all. There are some great trails and the park is very well maintained. Definitely going back!

Nice Trails

The campground was nearly empty on a Sunday night and my simple request to drive around the campground before choosing a site was denied. I ended up blindly choosing a site from the map, and it wasn’t awful but it wouldn’t have been my first choice. Considering the empty campground, it just didn't make sense that I couldn't select a site.

The River Trail was a nice walk. I did the Turkey, River, and Gold Dust Trails loop which is an easy 2.5 miles with some river views and meadow + wooded paths. I walked around the primitive hike-in/canoe-in campground which is nice and tucked away.