Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Length: 50 ft.
Powhatan State Park is located in Virginia
15 Reviews of Powhatan State Park
Meh!

This campground is definitely for trail bikers and RVers. The campsites fill up quickly. If you do not reserve your spot early, you may be placed near the road, where traffic is an issue. There is not much more to do at this park

Trails and Fun

We stayed here for three nights in October.   Sites are large and well shaded.   Water drainage is great.   A little uneven, but easy to handle.   We had a great time hiking down to the river and biking around the campground.   Very friendly and clean.  We will definitely return!

The Great Escape

We loved visiting Powhatan State Park. The fall foliage was very beautiful. The park staff and other campers were polite and helpful. I didn't expect to see bulletins of Virginia History on the grounds. But my inner nerd was intrigued. 🤓 We stayed during the week in October. It was warm enough during the day and got a bit chilly at night. Either way, we would definitely go again.

Great park!

Campground is waaayyy back in the back of park. Only a few years old. No full hookup (yes 30/50 amp). Well maintained trails, level sites. No river access in campground.

Peaceful and quiet!

We stayed here in March and it was very cold for tent camping, I think it got into the 20's at night! There were no other campers staying there while we were there in the canoe-in campground so it was very peaceful and quiet. This campground is primitive so there is no electricity or water. The sites include a picnic table and fire ring. Our tent pad was pretty level and pretty big! You could probably fit two small tents on there. There is a short .2 mile hike from a parking lot so we packed light and backpacked in. We stayed in site 4, which is towards the back of the loop. Not much privacy in the winter because there are no leaves on the trees. This campground has a pit toilet at the front of the campground and fire wood available for purchase near the canoe launch.

We loved this park! The trails are fun and love all the beautiful views. We saw some incredible sunsets over the James River. There are all sorts of fun, gnarly trees for the kids to play on at the campsite! They had so much fun!

There are some great breweries nearby and only a short drive from Richmond and Charlottesville!

Perfect Weekend Getaway

There are several hike/boat-in sites that are in a separate area away from from the rest of the sites. We stayed in site 7 - best one! We were relatively secluded: could see/hear other campers but not much and didn’t bother us at all. There are some great trails and the park is very well maintained. Definitely going back!

Nice Trails

The campground was nearly empty on a Sunday night and my simple request to drive around the campground before choosing a site was denied. I ended up blindly choosing a site from the map, and it wasn’t awful but it wouldn’t have been my first choice. Considering the empty campground, it just didn't make sense that I couldn't select a site.

The River Trail was a nice walk. I did the Turkey, River, and Gold Dust Trails loop which is an easy 2.5 miles with some river views and meadow + wooded paths. I walked around the primitive hike-in/canoe-in campground which is nice and tucked away.

Huge park, great sites!

What a beautiful park! Over 1500 acres with 40 sites, this trip was the start of the camping season for me- the opening weekend for camping in State Parks in VA(COVID-19). The park and grounds are extremely well-maintained. I was very happy to see such a clean bathhouse, especially during the current pandemic. Each staff member I encountered was extremely helpful and polite. The park has lots of trails, miles of open meadows, and James River access. Great park for bicycling. The sites in the River Bend Campground(main campground) are private and wooded, especially this time of year when the trees are so full. The map makes it look like they’re really close together so I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived to my site, which was the las time available for booking(#16). There are 29 tent/RV sites and three yurts. The sites are gravel and include a picnic table, lantern/trash pole, and a fire pit with grill gate. Theres also a group site for 24 or so, bit that’s not open at the moment due to state restrictions. There’s overflow parking for the campground, dumpsters, and a dump station. Some are pull-through for RVSs and many have water/electric. Wood is for sale at the park but no ice or refreshments. Pet-friendly. There are also laundry facilities at the main bathhouse, nice hot/cold showers. Many picnic areas and a playground. There’s also a canoe-in site with 8 primitive sites: no water, electricity, or facilities(there’s a pit toilet). Depending on the time of the year they might be in the flood zone if the river is high, which it was during this trip. Some of those sites can also be booked for hiking into- it’s only a 0.2 walk from the parking lot. Tabb Monument State Park is nearby if you’re working your way through the parks as I am (no overnight facilities there). You’re also about 10-15 minutes from the town of Powhatan so if you need groceries or gas, you’re not far from Sheetz, Food Lion, etc. Loved this park so much and will definitely be returning!!!

Having fun in the blazing sun

I was never bored when im Powhatan I always had something todo and had fun doing it,the staff are super nice and helpful there walking trails are phenomenal but you can get turned around like I did and have to walk back to my camp walking by the road. I was going to give it a four star because the A couple of standard electric sites mainly sites 4-7 are all in the sun for all day. With any problem I have though with things like that I always make them for me as best I can. Super amazing park.

Clean well maintained

Sites are spaced well and still very close to everything. Very bike friendly and lots of trails. Large playground and a good boat launch for tubes and kayaks.

Year 2021 Flag