South Sulphur , TEXAS

Most Recent South Sulphur Camping Reviews
Very Quiet

We were here in early December, so the campground wasn't very busy. We liked our site, pretty spacious with views of the water. The ranger said this loop is the quieter, less busy side of Cooper Lake. Easy, short hiking trails. Playground & a swimming beach. I imagine this would be a fun, possibly crowded place in season, but probably not loud at night as sites are spaced out well. We will return someday.

Beautiful, well preserved campground

This park was beautiful. We stayed at campsite 8 in the bright star loop and it was one of the best campsites I've stayed in. It was spacious and felt very private even though we knew there were other campsites close by. The site was also pretty level. We only stayed one night because we were just traveling through, but I will definitely return. The firewood for purchase at the front of the park was very convenient, but a bit pricey. We got in fairly late though so we were grateful for it. There is also a nice hiking trail that was very well maintained. All in all, we greatly enjoyed our short time at Cooper Lake State Park.

Nice, Quit place to get away

This was the first stop on the our trip. We spent today’s here and wis we could have stayed longer. The park is well kept and very quit and relaxing.

One of My favorite Texas State Parks!

I spent three hots days exploring the DR Creek Unit of Cooper Lake State Park. This is a great campground! Most of the sites are in deep shade and are very level concrete pads.

If you have a boat then you will love the fishing on theis lake.

The day use area is OK, the swim area has a huge steel wall to block the wind and waves because they get really strong.

The cabins and shelters are pretty basic but they do the job.

plenty of wildlife for viewing and several great trails to explore.

Every campground I visit has at least two different videos on my YouTube…

DudeRV.com

Oak Grove Camping

We camped at Oak grove 97 campsite and cannot stress on how beautiful it is to be right by the lake!

You want to get make sure to get there before the sunset, it’s beautiful to see the orange layer over the water. Nothing better than kayaking/paddle boarding or tubing into the sunset.

You can also setup a hammock and you will need extenders.

Something I’d keep in mind is the food you carry (avoid the sweet sugary stuff), there are ants all around and food will attract them towards you.

I definitely recommend this spot to camp.

Beautiful State Park

Spent an evening here recently this fall and the park didn’t disappoint. Very nice site with grill, fire pit and table surrounded by big oak trees and right on the lake. Lots of trails and fishing.

Nice clean park not to far from Dallas..

We really enjoyed the park it is pretty wide and spread out on lake cooper. We stayed in the Brightstar area of the park and had a great time. The bathrooms were very clean and in good working order. Was a great getaway not to far outside of Dallas TX. We will come back for sure. Has a beach area for swimming in warmer weather and a dock and boat ramp if you take your boat.

Shaded lakeside camping in Deer Haven

The South Sulphur campground is about half an hour north of Interstate 30. It’s under a 2 hour drive from the DFW area so, I find it’s a nice weekend getaway. I camped here on a Sunday to Monday and it was very quiet. I was one of only 5 campers in the Deer Haven section (aside from the 3 camp hosts). I’m giving the park 5 stars but this is based on my experience of having camped here when there were few campers around. I image this place could be loud and busy on a weekend.

There are many shaded lakeside sites in the Deer Haven section. I stayed at site 68. The site was on a cul de sac so there was no campground to the one side. However, the site located on the other side was close. This would be a great spot for 2 camping families to share. The concrete pad at site 68 was level and shaded by a beautiful, mature oak tree. I could walk from the pad to the lake. It would be a great site to put out a kayak, but unfortunately the weather didn’t cooperate on my stay. So I didn’t get to kayak. I did see deer who ventured in from the wooded area next to the campsite.  Deer Haven lived up to its name!

Electric and water hookups were good as were the restroom/shower facilities, which seemed climate controlled because it felt cooler and less humid inside than outside. This usually isn’t the case in these buildings.

A big storm blew in around dinner time. The wind was fierce and blowing out of the north across the almost 20,000 acre lake! I actually called the ranger to find out if I needed to evacuate. The ranger was very responsive and reassuring. Luckily, there were no tornados warnings, so I weathered out the storm and woke to a beautiful crisp morning.

This park is huge and there is much to do. Cabins, shelters, primitive walk in sites, equine sites, a beach, several boat ramps, hiking trails, playgrounds and a fishing pier. I didn’t get to see a fraction of it, but I’ll be returning.

I stopped in the town of Sulphur Springs on my way back to DFW. The town has a nice historic town square and makes for an interesting side stop.

On the north side of Cooper !

Good park to get away for the weekend with the grandchildren! Sites are shaded with full hookup’s! Caught a couple fish with the grandson! The dock could use some updating! Great hiking trails!

Nice South East Texas Park!

Quite,shaded, level concrete RV sites with water and electricity! Each site has a covered table. Nice swim beach, boat ramp. Great hiking trails! This park is great for kayaking & fishing! If you stay here , you should drive in downtown Sulphur Spring’s , lots of restaurants and they have 2 public bathrooms in the square that are made with 2way mirrors! So when you are in the bathroom you can see out, but everyone walking by can’t see you! Kinda creepy and cool!