About Lake Tawakoni State Park

Imagine yourself in the shade of tall trees, listening to birds chirping and water lapping on the shores of Lake Tawakoni camping. Sounds good, right? Let’s go! Gather your fishing pole, your binoculars, your hiking shoes and your camping gear - we’re just 50 miles east of Dallas.

Things to Do Come explore our 376 acres of oak forest, more than five miles of lakeshore, and the lake itself.

Boat, fish or swim on the water; hike, mountain-bike, go birding or geocaching on land. Reserve a campsite for your tent or RV, or camp with a group. Rent our amphitheater for a special event. Take a virtual tour with our interactive trails map.

Fish Lake Tawakoni is a 37,879-acre reservoir. Fish the lake from shore or boat, or try our kid fish pond. You don’t need a fishing license to fish from shore in a state park.

Amenities: Four-lane boat ramp and fish cleaning station. Fish species: Striped and hybrid striped bass, white bass, catfish, crappie and largemouth bass Borrow fishing gear at headquarters to use in the park. Read through these Water Safety Tips before your visit. Hike and mountain bike The park has nearly five miles of trails to explore.

Camp Choose from full hookup sites or sites with water and electricity. Two of our sites are wheelchair accessible. Or reserve our primitive group campsite (for up to 48 people).

Shop The Lake Tawakoni Trading Post sells souvenirs, ice, firewood, cold drinks and snacks, and fishing bait and tackle.

No Alchohol
No Market
No WiFi
Lake Tawakoni State Park is located in Texas
11 Reviews of Lake Tawakoni State Park
Lake Tawakoni State Park, Nice but not a top 5 Texas State Park

The first weekend camping trip of 2019 found me (Dude RV)  camping in the cold and rain at Lake Tawakoni State Park. This Texas State Park is a fisherman's paradise!

You will have no issues with bank fishing at Lake Tawakoni State Park as there is so much shore line!

My visit to Lake Tawakoni State Park was on the fist weekend of March 2019, and that just happened to be a record setting cold temp event! I spend two very cold days and nights RV camping at Lake Tawakoni State Park. I had the pleasure of meeting new friends and fellow You Tubers Mike and Christie of The Sunset Seekers, great people! Go check out their channel!

I did a little fishing but it was so cold that I really did not want to catch anything because I would have to put my hannds it the water!

I found the park to be a little dated for Texas State Parks. The trails were pretty well unaccessable for my mobility scooter and the park ranger tride to limit my use of the scooter, I set him on the correct path.

I think this park would be better in the warmer seasons. You can see my videos of this park on my YouTube,… Dude RV.

Nice state park

Lake Tawakoni state park is not too far from us, so it’s a nice place to go when we want to go for a quick camping trip. Sites are spacious, and for the most part, have concrete slabs that are pretty level and can accommodate any size rig.

Lots of trees

Beautiful campground.  There are a few full hookups. There is a swim area and boat dock.  Some sites have double concrete, most just single.  Many of the sites are surrounded by trees and very private.

Simple and well maintained on a great fishing lake

Come prepared to battle the ants. We were overcome in our trailer with thousands of ants the first night, which has never happened before. We got them under control with spray after two days. Otherwise a nice site with good fishing and facilities. Nice trails for hiking but marginal for bicycling unless you have a mountain bike.

Nice park with easy trails, campsites and lake access

Sites are spread out for tent and RV's best times to visit is fall or spring

Eight legged critters welcomed

The campgrounds are secluded and quiet, sites offer electricity, water, easy access to facilities. There is a swimming area and several miles of trails available. There is a small store that offers minimal supplies and fishing gear. Trails are easy and do not require much skill. Dogs are welcome.

This park is known for having one of the largest spider webs that have been located within the United States. The web is built by thousands of spiders and during the right time of year you can shine a light into the web or wooded area and see the eyes of the spiders reflect.

Trails galore

This state park has both walking and biking trails galore. None of the trails were too hard for a seven and nine year old but were long enough that they were fun and a good workout.

The park has an ample sand beach area and the facilities are clean and in good repair.

This park is a good warm weather get away not too far from the DFW Metroplex and worth the drive.

Quiet place in the Fall

Stayed overnight here on a trip from Minnesota to Houston, TX. Fall has it's advantages. The park was nearly vacant and it was easy to pay at the box since I had arrived late in the day. After I parked the rig I went walking around the lake. Nice area providing boat ramps, picnic shelters, fish cleaning stations. Playground area for children and restroom. Lots of birds on the beach and near the water shore. It was a nice relaxing stop during a 3 day road trip.

Winter camping...i

I met up with a couple of teardrop friends for a quite weekend. It was a little rainy and cool enough to have a campfire. The park was having an event of Christmas lights. There were several campers who participated. The staff at the park are great. Having trouble posting pictures.

A bit far for so little

While there are trails here, this is more of a public lake access. I spent a couple of hours doing some geocaching and hiking, but overall the park is not very remarkable.