Belton, TEXAS

Most Recent Belton Camping Reviews
Been there 100 times

Very secluded and low volume area. I would consider this a rough site. Not for thin skinned people expecting a beautiful oasis. There is a passable boat ramp, few covered picnic tables and a cornhole “bathroom” there. No ele or water. Tons of hiking if you follow the road in and look for the 4x4 paths to the right. No fee admission. Tent/trailer/rv/sleep in car/on the ground, whatever. Lots of arrowheads laying around if your lucky to spot one. Highly suggest having some sort of personal protection for the critters that come in the wee hours of the night.

Westcliff

I appreciate all the park workers but the short guy with the glasses is a real jerk.but still my favorite place.

Had a great stay!

I am new to the rv life and own a used Coleman Bayside pop up camper. I own a business in Austin and love escaping to the woods at the end of the day.

Im wrapping up a 10 day stay at Cedar Breaks Park campground and will return for sure!

Lake Georgetown is the main attraction and is beautiful, quiet & clean.

The park & campground is easy to find and easy for larger or vehicles with travel trailers / campers in tow. Many grocery stores / restaurants / shopping / medical facilities are close by also (within 2-5 miles)

Sites all have 30, 50a and water hookups (im not sure about sewer hookups at sites but they do have a sewer dump station at front of campground) more than adequate restroom & shower facilities located in the center of the campground.

The staff is absolutely amazing, they are friendly, knowledgable and accommodating.

ROOKIE MISTAKE #1 “GET THE AFTER HOURS GATE CODE” After setting up camp the first day, I realized I needed food for Grady (my silver lab) and drove to Walmart. WELL, I didnt pay attention and got locked out. I didnt have the after hours gate code & had to park out front and walk down to my site & wentback up in the morning to get my truck.Not a huge deal, but a lesson I learned lol

Well maintained and quiet place to camp

We had a quaint campsite with a Lakeview.

Each campsite appeared to be level and clean. The sites were spaced out so that you’re not camping on top of one another. Each space had a picnic table and grill. There was a fishing pier, boat ramp, and beach to swim at. Many of the camping spots can be reserved online, but the park maintains some camping spots for first-come.

Just about the cheapest camping outside Austin

We arrived in Austin, Texas for the new year and boondocked for a week in a Walmart on 290 in Austin to get some truck repairs done. One week at a Walmart was enough for us, so we looked for some free or cheap campgrounds within an hour of the city.

Spoiler alert: There isn't much.

Most state campgrounds are $24+ per night with per-person daily access fees that ring your nightly rate up to $35+. And all private campgrounds easily are $40 per night unless you opt for a slightly cheaper weekly rate.

Enter Sandy Creek Park in Leander, Texas, about 45 minutes from downtown Austin. The campground is situated on Travis Lake in the hilly country northwest of Austin. The road to get here involves 15-20 minutes of significant up-and-down winding, and there are a good number of cars traveling on the road. Though the speed limit is 15-30 most of the time, there are sports cars and motorcycles that will ride your bumper and look to pass you on the double yellow. I've driven over 25,000 miles in our truck-and-trailer combo this year, and this was among the more winding roads I've been on.

The campground itself has a few U-shaped terraced levels leading down to the boat ramp into Travis Lake, and there's a lot of boater activity. However, the campground itself was empty the entire week we were here with just one other RVer staying a single night. There are no easy turnarounds for larger rigs in this campground, and low-hanging branches provide obstacles for taller rigs. Even our fifth wheel, with a modest 11'10" max height, had a hard time in some spots. Ultimately, we decided to park parallel to the road in one of the more open campsites by the park entrance. When leaving, we elected to back out beyond the entrance before turning up and out of the park.

I'd say our 30' fifth wheel is about the max length recommended in this park. There are no hookups at Sandy Creek Park but there is a dump station, which I included pictures of. However, I didn't attempt to use it for two reasons: (1) a sharp corner entering the U-shaped dump station turnout and (2) low-hanging trees preventing me from swinging my rig wide.

Water is available at several faucets spaced every few campsites, but some of them don't have the traditional grooved fitting to connect your water hose. Filling is also a two-man job as you need to turn and hold to keep water flowing.

Park employees staffed the fee booth for 5 of the 7 days we were here and police patrolled the area a few times per day.

Overall, Sandy Creek Park is a clean campground with a great location right outside Austin for an awesome price(considering the other parks in close proximity). It has everything a camper could need except electric hookups, though the dump station is tough to access for larger rigs.

Horrible conditions

We had called and made reservations and as we confirmed asked if a 40ft class A could fit. Well we got there and 1st of all it is so badly run down. Also the spot he wanted us to pull into was on grass and way too small. He said oh you can fit between those 2 trees. Omg I said absolutely not, you see how big our RV is and we would sink. No gravel even. Such a disappointment.

Pretty Nice

This recreation.gov campground was adequate for our needs. Most sites are shady, the outdoor tables we're sturdy, and there were fire pits and a separate cooking grill on a raised post. They parking pass we're decent asphalt. It is located on Lake Waco. There was some road noise from the highway. The toilet/shower house left a little to be desired. It wasn't as clean as it could have been. The women's showers had 2 stalls, one handicapped. The handicapped shower did not work. The other shower had a very difficult shower head to control the volume and direction of the spray. It was very cold the first morning and the shower building is not heated and had open screening at the top so showering was very eye opening! But the trees were beautiful with quite a few pecan trees. We would probably camp there again.

Great campground. Friendly camphost

Very clean and we'll maintained. Large v spaces.

Me

Hidden gem near Austin

Nice park and campground very near Georgetown, Texas. Berry Springs is a local county park and preserve. The Park is located just north of Georgetown Texas about 1 mile off Interstate 35 the main highway between Dallas and Austin. It’s a Great location with loads of open space. They have basic sites with covered picnic tables, fire rings, and hooks for hanging items. The former ranch has a lot of history dating back to the Texas Pioneer days. The park is located next to clear spring fed river for swimming and fishing. This may be a great option for those looking for a location close to Austin or a local family weekend. The camp was nearly empty in October this year which is the peak season for camping in Texas. The sites are best suited for tent camper, vans, and smaller trailers.