Bartlett, TEXAS

Camping Texas Bartlett

Most Recent Bartlett Camping Reviews
Been there 100 times

Very secluded and low volume area. I would consider this a rough site. Not for thin skinned people expecting a beautiful oasis. There is a passable boat ramp, few covered picnic tables and a cornhole “bathroom” there. No ele or water. Tons of hiking if you follow the road in and look for the 4x4 paths to the right. No fee admission. Tent/trailer/rv/sleep in car/on the ground, whatever. Lots of arrowheads laying around if your lucky to spot one. Highly suggest having some sort of personal protection for the critters that come in the wee hours of the night.

2 week stay

Stayed 2 weeks at the end of February. Very clean, well maintained, didn’t feel too crowded on neighbors. Mix of full/long timers and some of us Nomads. A few social events but not a wide variety of activities. Only down-side was the road noise. Only a 2 lane road out front but more noise than expected. And sometimes disturbed the outdoor time. Didn’t hear the noise with the RV all closed up. Liquor store, gas/convince, couple restaurants within walking distance. Small brewery less than a mile down the road.

Westcliff

I appreciate all the park workers but the short guy with the glasses is a real jerk.but still my favorite place.

Great place to hang, great location, great water features

Camped here a long time ago, so this is my recollection.  First get your reservations as they are a must.  This place is close to Austin, so it gets crowded.  The water here is fun and pretty, great flat hikes over pitted and scoured rocks.  Snapping turtles in the water. Camp sites are nice, flat dirt with plenty of big oaks all around, fire pits, tables, and lantern holders provided.  Nice spacing and all kinds of rigs can fit in here.  I don’t recall that they have hookups.   Bird watching is great here.  All around a great state park.  Reason for four stars:  the park is being surrounded, literally, by urban development, and when hiking on the trails you often can come right up to it.  So the tranquility of the area is impacted.  Come here for a bit of nature, with easy access to services.  Don’t expect to be out in the middle of nowhere.  We came with a 35 foot fifth wheel and loved our site.  Would definitely come again if in the area.

State park in the middle of a town

We didn’t camp here since we live so close by, but stopped on our way to Lake Somerville State Park. Driving by the camp sites they appeared nice and tucked between some (remaining) tall pine trees; you could definitely see your neighbor though. This park endured a huge forest fire about 9-10 years ago and you can still tell. Lots of charred and dead trees, but some new growth coming up underneath. We drove to the highest point and took a picture. That was about all we needed. Sort of underwhelming, but quaint.

Very clean campground close to downtown Austin

Very nice campground, very secure, codes used to enter gate, pool, showers/restrooms & 24hour laundry room. Highly recommend this campground, staff was very nice

Pretty park - popular too!

This state park is a little outside of Austin near the airport. The park stays busy and it’s easy to see why– it’s really nice with waterfalls you can check out in the park and it isn’t far from the airport. We had a great stay here and will definitely check it out again if in the area. Although– watch the branches if you are in a bigger rig– we watched a guy hit one and mess up his roof. Also, if you will be camping in Texas State Parks a bit be sure to get the annual Texas State Parks pass– it will end up saving you a lot of money! Also, we went to a nearby market to buy what we thought was salsa(see pictures)– it definitely wasn’t and it was sooo spicy!!

Had a great stay!

I am new to the rv life and own a used Coleman Bayside pop up camper. I own a business in Austin and love escaping to the woods at the end of the day.

Im wrapping up a 10 day stay at Cedar Breaks Park campground and will return for sure!

Lake Georgetown is the main attraction and is beautiful, quiet & clean.

The park & campground is easy to find and easy for larger or vehicles with travel trailers / campers in tow. Many grocery stores / restaurants / shopping / medical facilities are close by also (within 2-5 miles)

Sites all have 30, 50a and water hookups (im not sure about sewer hookups at sites but they do have a sewer dump station at front of campground) more than adequate restroom & shower facilities located in the center of the campground.

The staff is absolutely amazing, they are friendly, knowledgable and accommodating.

ROOKIE MISTAKE #1 “GET THE AFTER HOURS GATE CODE” After setting up camp the first day, I realized I needed food for Grady (my silver lab) and drove to Walmart. WELL, I didnt pay attention and got locked out. I didnt have the after hours gate code & had to park out front and walk down to my site & wentback up in the morning to get my truck.Not a huge deal, but a lesson I learned lol

Well maintained and quiet place to camp

We had a quaint campsite with a Lakeview.

Each campsite appeared to be level and clean. The sites were spaced out so that you’re not camping on top of one another. Each space had a picnic table and grill. There was a fishing pier, boat ramp, and beach to swim at. Many of the camping spots can be reserved online, but the park maintains some camping spots for first-come.

Just about the cheapest camping outside Austin

We arrived in Austin, Texas for the new year and boondocked for a week in a Walmart on 290 in Austin to get some truck repairs done. One week at a Walmart was enough for us, so we looked for some free or cheap campgrounds within an hour of the city.

Spoiler alert: There isn't much.

Most state campgrounds are $24+ per night with per-person daily access fees that ring your nightly rate up to $35+. And all private campgrounds easily are $40 per night unless you opt for a slightly cheaper weekly rate.

Enter Sandy Creek Park in Leander, Texas, about 45 minutes from downtown Austin. The campground is situated on Travis Lake in the hilly country northwest of Austin. The road to get here involves 15-20 minutes of significant up-and-down winding, and there are a good number of cars traveling on the road. Though the speed limit is 15-30 most of the time, there are sports cars and motorcycles that will ride your bumper and look to pass you on the double yellow. I've driven over 25,000 miles in our truck-and-trailer combo this year, and this was among the more winding roads I've been on.

The campground itself has a few U-shaped terraced levels leading down to the boat ramp into Travis Lake, and there's a lot of boater activity. However, the campground itself was empty the entire week we were here with just one other RVer staying a single night. There are no easy turnarounds for larger rigs in this campground, and low-hanging branches provide obstacles for taller rigs. Even our fifth wheel, with a modest 11'10" max height, had a hard time in some spots. Ultimately, we decided to park parallel to the road in one of the more open campsites by the park entrance. When leaving, we elected to back out beyond the entrance before turning up and out of the park.

I'd say our 30' fifth wheel is about the max length recommended in this park. There are no hookups at Sandy Creek Park but there is a dump station, which I included pictures of. However, I didn't attempt to use it for two reasons: (1) a sharp corner entering the U-shaped dump station turnout and (2) low-hanging trees preventing me from swinging my rig wide.

Water is available at several faucets spaced every few campsites, but some of them don't have the traditional grooved fitting to connect your water hose. Filling is also a two-man job as you need to turn and hold to keep water flowing.

Park employees staffed the fee booth for 5 of the 7 days we were here and police patrolled the area a few times per day.

Overall, Sandy Creek Park is a clean campground with a great location right outside Austin for an awesome price(considering the other parks in close proximity). It has everything a camper could need except electric hookups, though the dump station is tough to access for larger rigs.