Kershaw, SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Kershaw Camping Reviews
Great experience!

I have loved staying at swamp fox camp ground. We stayed for a few months and have adored all the people here. Especially the ones who work here. Always kept clean and friendly.

Needs improvements

Not a big rig friendly area. Our site was 30 amp, no sewer. I backed in the way I was told to and realized our water and electric were on the curb side. Had I known this ahead of time, I could have maybe pulled in another way. The service from another site was less than 3 feet from my power inlet to the camper. I called to make sure it would be ok to plug in there and they said no, even though no one used that site. The bathhouse was well below standards and really just unusable. I’ll pick another place if I’m ever in the area again.

Peaceful

About 31 RV sites. Onboard Ft. Jackson. Lake views. Boat rental available. Summer time swim beach. Spacious sites. No laundry at campground. Closest is about 3 miles away. Entrance road is really rough.

First time at a KOA

Stopped here for an overnight on our way south. We had a pull-thru full hookup site. It was relatively level but not perfect. Main bath house was under construction and not available. There is a bar, convenience store, and RV service center at the entrance which is convenient. We didn’t have time to look around the campground much but it served it’s purpose for us. Oh, there are no fire rings but it claims on their site that you can build one in the gravel. We didn’t see a single other site with a fire.

New Construction

New phase 2 Area. Location on map is incorrect. CG is located east of Jenkinville on SC-215. Definitely for both long term and overnight RV. We have been here for a month. Aside from the commute to anywhere this is a good campground. The staff is what makes it a 5 star along with the awesome sunsets.

In the middle of Columbia SC

Built to celebrate the Sesquicentennial of South Carolina in the 30’s . At one time on the furthest outskirts of Columbia SC. It is now firmly in the muddle of the Metro area. Plenty of trailer sites. Tent site and primitive camping. Has recreational areas. Restaurants and shopping nearby

Busy campground

I can see why this is a busy campground. Bathhouses were clean. Many lakefront sites have posts to tie up your boat to if you have one. Beach area by the store. No WiFi and rarely did we have cell service but that’s not a bad thing! Large sites with some pull through. We had site 39 and there was nothing but woods behind us which was perfect for us. Only negative was I that I was bitten up by mosquitoes and I used bug spray ( obviously I need a better kind) and citronella buckets. Even with a packed campground for the holiday weekend it was relatively quiet especially by 11. This campground tends to be booked solid on weekends so important to make reservations. Also not much for stores close by so pack well. Oh and no alcohol sales on Sunday’s in the county.

Shaded woodlands

Really nice shaded campground and very reasonably priced. Clean bathhouse. Stand was unpacked but level! Staff were friendly and very welcoming. Only spent the night so did not have time to enjoy the trails or the lake.

Get away from the city

This is a cool little spot not far from Charlotte NC which doesn't seem as busy as other nearby campgrounds. Staff are friendly. There are cites right next to a lake which is perfect for paddling around in a canoe or kayak just watch out for stumps. Fishing wasn't great when I was there, but it might be better in cooler weather.

We love this park and campsites!

Fun beach within easy walk from campsite!

Clean, open spots, NO FRILLS

Very nice staff. We stayed a weekend. The RV spots were nice with easy access. The bathrooms and showers were AMAZINGLY clean! However, other than a playground there is nothing for kids to really do. The staff at the nature center were very polite and the trails were nice, but again not for tiny kids. If you were taking older kids it would be perfect.

Awesome place

I love going to this campground, I enjoy doing the trails and spotting dear. And there is a small water play area for children. They have paddle boats also.

Maiden voyage

This campground was recommended to us for our maiden camping trip with our new RV. We were very pleasantly surprised. Camp site was large, they had two bathhouses, camp store and even a mini golf course. The lake was larger than expected with a beach area. Only negative was that they had the trash dumpsters scattered throughout the park and we had the misfortune of having one at the front of our site and someone had put fish guts in it, which made for a rank stench at our site. We made notes of which sites to avoid as most are good. Some sites even have sewer although ours did not. We were at site 34. All in all it was a great first trip in our new RV!

Nice Park. Not great for large RV’s

It’s a nice park with great amenities. The splash pad up front is awesome for kids.

Our only complaint is that most sites are very uneven. If you have a large camper/RV it may be tough to get your rig level. That being said site #21 worked well for our 40 foot fifth wheel. We had to use some blocks and a few attempts, but were able to make it happen.

Also, if your camper is over 25 feet I wouldn’t even bother booking a site on the second loop. It is pretty tight back there.

Family Friendly

Family friendly campground with nice amenities and staff! We have been several times before, and this weekend did not disappoint. Just be mindful when booking sites near the Lakeside Lodge, they book parties, so it’s a little busier & noisier than our preference.

Great staff.

Enjoy alot. No problem at all.

Free transit to the park

This campground is owned by carowinds and has free bus rides to and from the park from open until close. Bathhouses are private and clean. The campground is right by the airport so the planes are pretty loud but not much louder than the screams of the people on the roller coasters. This is a perfect place to stay because after a long day of rides you can come right back to your camper to relax instead of driving all the way home.

Clean, lovely conveniently located

I camped here with a women’s hiking group and was impressed.

There are lovely trails, a large playground, nature center, the beautiful lake Wylie {no swimming, NC fishing license required}, geocaching, clean bathrooms and shower rooms, electric sites with large tent pads, good sized fire pit area, picnic table.. there’s even a loving gate with a code for a more secure camping experience..

We could fit 3 tents in one pad AND had a hammocker camper too.

If you are wanting some nature near the city, this is a good option - especially if you are checking out city things in Charlotte.

You can hear traffic at night when camping here so bring ear plugs, headphones or a white noise fan if that bothers you.

Pet friendly 🐾

I saw both dogs and camping kitties

There’s 56 camp sites: these include tent, RV hook ups and some primitive.

There’s group camping at Copperhead Island.

I highly recommend, especially for families with children, lots to do and a safe, secure feeling.

Amazing

Private but great for families and bike ridding. Private pool game room. Laundry and camp store.

Awesome Spot for a race

Camping to the general public is not permitted here unless you’re in a group, or volunteering. The first weekend in March most of the roads in the refuge are closed and is staged out for the Sandblast Rally. Tons of fun for a volunteer and a great excuse to be outdoors.

Small cozy site

Only about 25 or so sites. All with water and electric hookups. Per did not work at our site so we had to move from our great lake view site to one next to the bath house. Hiking trails not do good

Quaint and peaceful

A few minute walk into all the sites, basic bathrooms by car park, peaceful lake views, some sites close to a walking trail, well spaced apart sites

CONVENIENT, BUT...

This is the first KOA campground that I found to be seriously lacking. Campers were very close to each other. The playground, pool area was across the parking lot from the campsites, which I found was not safe for the kids. The site we had was 19, slightly unlevel. There was a picnic table, but no firepit. Apparently the campers before us had a fire on the ground, lol.

Permit needed

Large area where dog training sport hunting is permitted. Not a campground. However home to the largest rally race in the southeast!

Camping with permit only

Home to an awesome rally that takes place in the month of March.

Primitive, yet plentiful

Awesome primitive little get away, with beautiful views. Rustic stone and wood shelters. Ponds for fishing. Far away from city lights so great for stargazing.

Awesome little spot

Great little park about 20 minute drive from Florence. Clean bathrooms. My dog was a bit confused by seeing horses for the first time. Super friendly staff.

Perfect

Perfect little gem on the outskirts of a dirty little town. Many amenities, beautiful views. A cute little beach area with kayak and canoe rentals. Day area open from 8am to sunset.

Off the Beaten path

5 of us on 4 motorcycles needed a place to stay for the night on the way to Myrtle Beach bike week. After you drive down a long sandy rutty road you come to the farm. A little oasis for the road weary. Mostly long term trailers are here but the do have tent camping. Nestled in the woods with sandy soil. Excellent rates. 25$ for the 5 of us and the best bathrooms ever!