Buffalo, SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Buffalo Camping Reviews
Surrounded by trees, water and nature.

My husband found Dreher Island on The Dyrt and said this is where he wanted to go for our November vacation. We looked at site photos online and found site 83. The drive in is a great way to see the whole park and campground. There were lots of picnic shelters, restrooms and trails.

Our site was great - we had an awesome view of the lake and our neighbors weren't too close. Our pad was level and we noticed that others were not or very bumpy as tree roots were growing underneath which would have made getting level a little tricky. We were surrounded by trees which brought in a lot of birds and squirrels, even a deer on our first morning. The fire ring is right off the pad, so don't back in to the very end of the pad which was fine because the pad was long for us.

The shower house was just a little walk past a few campsites. There were flush toilets, sinks and two showers. The showers did not have anywhere inside to leave your items, but there was a bench directly outside of your curtain. The camp host kept it nice and clean.

We stayed from Sunday-Saturday - some days we just sat around the fire and others we hiked around the island. There are a couple of designated areas for hiking and doable for any age. Every morning and evening we walked the campground which helped us check out some other sites. I'll acknowledge the good sites in our photos. The tent sites on the outside/shore side had tent pads then there were a few tent sites on the inside, but no tentpads - they all had electric.

We visited the marina store to pick up ice and wood and found that they also had some food items, condiments, fishing items, souvenirs and ice cream. We found that the Dollar General store in Chapin had cheaper wood, ice and anything else you may need…go there first.

We left Veterans weekend and it was just about full on Friday night. This might be our go to vacation spot - we lucked out with weather and one of the nicest stays at a state park.

Just A Good Campground

This campground won’t blow you away or anything but it’s a good campground that you’ll enjoy. Nice wooded coverage, walking and hiking trails, plus a few lakes to fish. Bath houses are probably the cleanest I’ve seen in all the campgrounds I’ve been too. The only reason I wouldn’t give it 5 stars is because the sites are pretty close to each other and you can hear aircraft traffic from the airport close by. I recommend sites 22,23,25 if you are tent camping.

History Abounds

Tons to do, including hikes and history. Make sure to go across the street to the Kings Mountain Military site. Better yet, plan your stay when they are doing an event.

Im home.

Love this place. Next to the lake. Quite, friendly clean. Good bathroom.

Love it.

Great place to camp. Very quiet,very friendly clean bathroom. Cheap camping.

First time at a KOA

Stopped here for an overnight on our way south. We had a pull-thru full hookup site. It was relatively level but not perfect. Main bath house was under construction and not available. There is a bar, convenience store, and RV service center at the entrance which is convenient. We didn’t have time to look around the campground much but it served it’s purpose for us. Oh, there are no fire rings but it claims on their site that you can build one in the gravel. We didn’t see a single other site with a fire.

Very nice

We have been a few times and really like it. The staff are very friendly. The bath houses and park are always really clean.

Outstanding

Great park, few pictures from the island.

New Construction

New phase 2 Area. Location on map is incorrect. CG is located east of Jenkinville on SC-215. Definitely for both long term and overnight RV. We have been here for a month. Aside from the commute to anywhere this is a good campground. The staff is what makes it a 5 star along with the awesome sunsets.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak Apparel at Paris Mountain State Park

Campground Review:

Paris Mountain State Park is just a short drive outside of Greenville, SC, but seems a world away. It is beautiful in all seasons. The campground is a typical state campground. Water, electric, fire ring, and picnic table were at our site. We stayed at #39 which was fine for our needs. If you had any sort of rig, we would NOT recommend this spot. The concrete was in poor shape and would make for a leveling nightmare. We voted we’d stay in #40 next time. It was a pull through with a creek running by the fire ring. The shower house was perfectly adequate and clean. Their reservation system was easy. We enjoyed all of the hiking options and the swimming area in the park.

--------------------

Product Review:

As Rangers for The Dyrt, we get to test products from time to time– today we tested Banner & Oak apparel www.bannerandoak.com. We loved their trucker hats. They were breathable, and held their shape under the sweat from a hard hike. We felt they were very attractive as well. As a long torso’d and arm’d couple, we both noticed right away and appreciated the length of the shirts themselves and the length of the sleeves on the long-sleeved shirt. There is nothing worse than washing shirts and having to stretch the heck out of them to try to get them back to looking presentable. We have no fear our Banner & Oak short and long-sleeved shirts will not give us this trouble. They worked well under our packs and we didn’t find ourselves needing to pull down our shirt every few mins or so. As a larger busted woman, however, their Women’s Large ran a bit small in the chest. I normally wear a Large which gives me some room to move around, but I wish I would have ordered my shirt in a XL. It is a tight fit. All in all, we really liked Banner & Oak’s apparel, in style, cut (mostly), and comfort. The shirt material is super soft and we could see ourselves ordering more from their site.

Nice Place to Relax, Just out side the bustle of Suburbia.

We had a great time staying here. Some of the sights were rather inclined, but they listed this on the website when booking(it's on a mountain after all). The areas between most of the sites was spacious, we were able to hang 2 hammocks to chill in. The Bathhouses had been remodeled and were kept clean while we were there. (There wasn't hand soap at the sinks that was a little weird for me).  The Large trash bins were located back down across from the Park Center, as was the play ground. It would have been more convenient for campers to have these things closer but were convenient for day use visitors. The park center is a gorgeous stone/log cabin type building with a long porch facing the Swimming area. There are Adirondack chairs on the porch, then between the porch and the lake are wooden lounge chairs and benches to relax on while taking a break from swimming or hanging out. There are miles of trails and streams to explore. We had a lovely time and plan to visit again soon.

Surprisingly Accomodating, Even When Crowded

I had never visited Lake Greenwood, save for driving by on the way from Augusta to Greenville. So when no other State Park had reservations available for Labor Day weekend, I was hesitant to book here. I will admit, I was mistaken. My in-laws and my parents both pulled their camper trailers, while I pulled my Jayco pop-up. I was very satisfied with the size of the spaces, which were accurate compared to the website. The camp website also accurately informs campers about the grade of campsite driveways, which did become an issue for my parent’s trailer. The sites are generally not much more than an asphalt driveway, and a gravel picnic table/fire ring area. I didn’t see many tent campers in this part of the campground, and I would imagine tent camping would be especially uncomfortable (hot) during the summer months. Electrical hookups are new, and standard, and water hookups are plenty for even the biggest of rigs.

The campground maintains decent tree/shade coverage, especially on the outer sites. The sites near/on the water are also shaded and have the added bonus of the lake breeze, although they are a bit crowded; very close to the sites next door. Speaking of which, perhaps due to the sold-out Labor Day weekend, but most probably because of the design of the campground and lakeside access, foot traffic was heavy between and around my campsite. This was annoying as always, and made me feel like I needed to bring in all of my chairs, etc when I left the site.

There are several bathhouses spread throughout the campground. Each one has two showers, two sinks, and two toilets, though at my closest bathhouse, one of the showers was out of order. The bathhouses were always very clean, and did not have the usual peeling paint and army of bugs and spiders that some bathhouses seem to maintain as a matter of principle.

Nearby Ninety Six NHS was a great half-day attraction, less than 15 mins away. Greenwood City is also a draw. Of course, the gem is Lake Greenwood. I was wishing the entire weekend that I had a boat to enjoy the cool clear water.

Bottom line, I have plans to come back on a less crowded weekend, and definitely with a boat.

Great campground with amazing staff!

This was our first camping trip for my wife and I. The staff led us right to our site and helped direct me into our site as it was dark. Knowing that it was our first time they even came back by to check on us a little bit later. It was Labor day weekend, so they were full, but we had no issues with noise or anything. The kids were having a blast between swimming and riding bikes. Plenty of activities were planned by the staff from bingo on Friday night, corn hole tournaments, movie night, and even an ice cream social! They even sell Hunt Bros. pizza from the store and will deliver to your site. Looked amazing and very reasonably priced. We can't wait to go back!

Easily accessible on Lake Murray, Columbia SC

Small camp site on Lake Murray near downtown Columbia SC. Tent sites, RV sites. Boat rentals nearby.

Beautiful location and beautiful lake

If it weren’t for Hurricane Dorian we would have never found this gem! What a beautiful location. Most sites directly on the lake. We were 10 ft from our own swimming area. The water is clean to fish, swim, boat, kayak, jet ski. You can easily rent a pontoon and jet skis at the nearby Skippers and cruise to a great bar and grill, “break on the lake” for dinner and drinks.  The lake is big enough to explore but small enough not to get lost. The reception is helpful and bathhouses very clean.  You are 20 minutes from the cute town of Greenwood too.  Full hookups available at this state park. Picnic tables and fire rings provided too. Don’t carry your own firewood in due to possible invasive insects.

Dog gone good time

Looking for a place to relax with your four legged family, then this the place for you. Nice off leash areas for your furry friend to stretch their legs and release that energy. Because a tired puppy is a good puppy.

Great Family Campbround!

Our family had a great time! Lots of stuff for the kids to do! Bath house clean and laundry facility great! We will definitely be back!

Mostly Permanent Campers

I traveled here alone and did not feel very comfortable. The campground is very simple. It is almost full of people in campers.

My favorite SC camp

Quiet, peaceful camp on beautiful Lake Murray. RV and tent sites. Clean bathhouses.

Fabulous

This park is new and clean. There’s miles of winding golf cart trails in the woods. Beautiful pool. Great friendly owners. We will be regulars.

Great price for nice campsite

Local to me but 20 a knight u can’t beat it .

Beautiful views!

My family loves this campground! It’s clean and has a Great Lake to swim in.

We love this park and campsites!

Fun beach within easy walk from campsite!

Better than expected

Long weekend stay at site #42. Nice level and large site. Some sites are smaller and closer but our site and those on both sides of us were large and level. Bathhouse by our site was kept clean and stocked well. Small lake for fishing and they rent canoes and kayaks. Lots of trails. Equestrian camping area on the other side which we had no reason to visit.

Clean, open spots, NO FRILLS

Very nice staff. We stayed a weekend. The RV spots were nice with easy access. The bathrooms and showers were AMAZINGLY clean! However, other than a playground there is nothing for kids to really do. The staff at the nature center were very polite and the trails were nice, but again not for tiny kids. If you were taking older kids it would be perfect.

A unique camping experience

Goat island can only be accessed by boat but with 5 separate spots it’s a pretty neat island to camp at. There are picnic tables and fire pits at each site, but no other accommodations. There are rarely any other campers there, but when there are they tend to leave trash at their sites. The light pollution is at a minimum for the lake so it’s beautiful and very secluded at night. There are small, but clear beaches by some of the sites suitable for beaching a pontoon or other boat, but no docks. There are squirrels and birds on the island but I haven’t seen any other wildlife there.

Not a pleasant stay

Campground had some lovely views, some sites with lake access. Water and electrical hookups at most sites. RVs and tents share same area. Bright lights were burned all night, no need in complaining to camp hosts they burned strings of bright LED lights all night too. Large groups allowed, across from our tent there was a party that included 13 children. Generally noisy, lots of traffic moving at all hours. Bathhouses well maintained. Maybe okay for RV but no sleep if using a tent.

Dangerous

We were at site 29, ADA. It was horrendous. We overlooked the women’s restrooms, which was very poor taste! At night, when the lights were turned on….. distasteful. More importantly, this ADA site was extremely dangerous! The site was so unsafe. I fell twice getting out of our rv, b/c the site was more mountainous than the mountains! I couldn’t leave my rv for two days! Restrooms were clogged and filthy. You had to walk a mile to the front to thrown your trash out! Really! Unfortunately, will never return. Below are pix.

Camping at its best

Gorgeous island and campground. This is by far a destination of choice. Waterfront sites, hiking trails, wildlife, boating and biking. The sites are spacious and so well maintained. The park is pristine. Will go again and again.

Island Time!!!

Easy drive into park. Most sites gravel with a blacktop driveway. They are all good size. Tent sites all have tent pads. Clean bath house. Boat ramp. Sites on the water make it great to keep your boat or kayak at your site. Fun, family park. Great fishing. The camper cabins are great. If you need a bed and air or heat, it’s the way to go.