Jacobus, PENNSYLVANIA

Most Recent Jacobus Camping Reviews
Great park

Sites are pretty close together and not much privacy but the trails are great and the nicest bathrooms and showers I have seen. Very beautiful area

Slice of Nature near big cities

This is part of a super large park that runs 32 miles along the Patapsco River. It has 8 recreation areas and we stayed at the Hollofield Area in April- one of our first experiences in a Maryland State Park. Beautiful park with 70 miles of hiking/biking /multi use trails. There are parks on both sides of the river to explore and experience the trails. Be sure to bring/download maps. You are close to Ellicott& Columbia in Maryland and DC.

Campsites- nice size gravel sites, some are a bit close to each other in the “electric” loop and some face a neighborhood that probably couldn’t be seen if the trees had regained all their foliage. There is only 20/30amp electricity and NO water or sewer- although there was a dump and a place to fill your water tank. No washer or dryers. There is one bathhouse for the campground, which was clean and well maintained. Tenters will be happy because many of the smaller sites were more secluded and had great views of the woods. Cell coverage was good with our sprint/Verizon.

ALSO- APPROACH THIS PARK ONLY FROM THE WEST IF YOUR VEHICLE IS OVER 11 FEET HIGH. (There is a 11’ bridge coming east bound into this park.)

We enjoyed hiking the trails directly from our campsite that led us down to the Patapsco River. There is a lot of history associated with the River and the area. You can even swim in this river. Fishing looked like fun too but we didn’t have time.

We really loved road biking to the nearby H Mart to have fun shopping and browsing their unique selection. (This is a super large Korean store packed with fruits, vegetables, seafood and other food stuff that could put an American grocery store to shame. If you are into K Beauty, they have a nice selection)

You can also bike/drive to nearby Ellicott city which has a charming downtown area.

There is mountain biking and kayaking in the area but we were not in explorer mode this visit because we were visiting family.

Here is a link to the updated trail map of the area:

Happy Camping! Pamela and Keith

Great Park!

Very family friendly park. Cabins, RV, Tent - full amenities. Lots of things to do. A little pricy, but worth it especially with kids.

Late season camping

Finished the season at this state park in MD with full hook up (20, 30, and 50 amp, water and sewer) and the water was still on in November. Bathhouses were open with hot water. Nice clean bathhouses. Sites were level, spacious, spaced apart, with packed gravel surface. Back in and pull through sites available. Near the state forest with a rifle, archery, and handgun ranges including skeet shooting. In summer there is a beach on the North East River for swimming and the Turkey Point Lighthouse is nearby. The town of North East is close and is a quaint town with a Main Street and great little shops. Woodys famous crab house is there along with other restaurants. Turkey Point Vineyard is nearby. There are views of the Elk River from many sites. Stayed in the North East loop and there are mini cabins available as well.

Limestone trout streams and beautiful hiking trails

Site 365 at this time of year was very quiet and secluded. Cold it was, 15 degrees was a teeth chattering experience. However our A Liner Ranger kept me warm and cozy. My main reason for venturing out into the area was the beautiful limestone trout streams. Technically difficult to fish I only experienced the most modest success. Streams are close by, hiking trails are numerous and Hawk Falls was a high point of the park. Peaceful, crisp air and beautiful Surroundings. The park is building a new Park Office at the campground so it looks like the facilities are being improved. Electric sites are scattered around an open field, I am never happy being up against a large RV. I usually like to boon-dock which keeps me a bit more secluded. I’m returning again soon and I’m looking forward to another wonderful stay.

Small but nice

Weekend was cold but the park was pretty full. This is close to us so it was an easy trip. Full hookup but we’re told to turn off and unhook water the night it dropped below freezing. They do fill up propane but there’s a Tractor Supply about 20min away that will also fill them. Bathhouse available but I didn’t use it. Pool was closed but looked nice. There was a fenced dog area and play set. The sites are close but there were all sizes of RVs there, even large class A. Many sites are on the water. No swimming in the Bush River but you can fish from the pier or right from your site. There appeared to be a boat dock as well. I read they had a couple bungalows to rent too. Fire pit was nice and situated near the water. Picnic tables at each site. It’s a gated park and nestled at the back of a quiet neighborhood. I didn’t take many pics this time. It was all about relaxing and we never left the campground. It’s located about 40 min. from Baltimore Harbor, Ravens and Orioles stadiums. Bel Air is 20 min. away and has several restaurants. Walmart is 10-15 min. away. There is a grocery store, beer store, Walgreens, and a couple restaurants just 5-10 min. away and a 7-11 at the neighborhood entrance. It seems like a great overnight as you’re passing through the area. It’s 5 min. from Interstate 95.

Not our cup of tea

We really don’t care for RV parks but occasionally, we decide to check one out. We found this place because we were looking for a covered bridge that, it turns out, used to be on the property but had been sold and moved! There was nothing wrong, per se, about this family-owned facility, except that we travel in a small camper van (we tend to live OUT of our van, not IN it) so RV facilities generally don’t appeal to us. The sites are very close together, like parking spaces, and afford no privacy between them. This is typical for an RV park. Sites range from 50 amp W/E/S, to 30 amp W/E. Some sites also have cable. WiFi is available and free for the first seven days of your stay. There is also a non-working mill, a pool, a game room, a camp store, and fishing access on the property. The staff person in the office was very friendly and helpful; if you like RV parks and want to explore Amish country in southern Pennsylvania, this would be an ideal location for you to stay but we decided to move on.

Amazing campgrounds!

Everything was on point here! The staff run the place like a resort or a cruise ship. So many activities for kids and adults and a huge family atmosphere with staff and campers! Tent site near the lake is HUGE

Quaint in a country setting Amish close by

Nice country campground in small local town Historic Strasburg and the miniature train museum is close by.

Awesome

I went to Elk Neck at the end of September. This place was super clean, really nice sites, and the trails were awesome. I would absolutely go back. I only gave it 4 stars because I was only there for 2 days and wasn’t able to experience everything.

Something for everyone!

We love this campground!! The area is absolutely beautiful. The lake is large and gorgeous. There are a lot of lake side campsites which are amazing. The hosts are all very friendly. We had a problem with our site and our weekend was saved thanks to the wonderful rangers. We are so thankful. My one and only reason for 4 out of 5 stars are the bathhouses. I wish they would update like Cowan's Gap. I have health issues and am always afraid I'll fall because the floors are so wet. Otherwise, they are kept cleaned up. Honestly, one of my favorite places to visit and we camp at as lot of parks. I hope they'll add more cottages too! There are lots of nice basic (non-electric) sites that are wooded, well shaded and private. There are nice, shaded electric sites. However, if you request electric and water you automatically get sewer too. This raises the price per site, per night by$13 and gives you a site with very little shade. We will return but we will choose an electric only site and fill our A-frame's water tank in order to get a wooded site. This campground is 100% reservable which means that you must select a site when you make your reservation. If you do not live in the area, that is difficult

Loved it!!

We camped at Codorus State Park for the first time a few years ago while out east. We really love this Campground! There is a wide variety of sites so finding one that you like should not be difficult, there are some in wide-open park-like settings, and some that are treed. For the most part we didn't notice any that really seem to be right on top of each other, but we think the site we got was the best one in the park. We were in 132, which was huge and had nice open flat areas for the tent, there were actually three spots that we could have put it on, and lots of trees to hang our hammocks and options for our tarps, but there was no chance of rain at all that weekend so we did not hang tarps. Those trees were bare however until very far up, so they did not afford any privacy, but we definitely were not on top of the people next door anyway so it was just how we like it. There is some hiking, not strenuous climbing mountains hiking, mostly easy, and the lake was the biggest attraction for me. Campground bath houses were very clean, nice hot showers with great showerhead that stayed on without pushing a button. Our site was close to the bath, a trail head, and field where we lay in the sun and played frisbee. We are definitely going back!

Best camp ever

Most relaxing, eventful or not, coolest place ever. this place is home to me. I will post my pictures but I'm surprised with how popular it is, theres nothing on this app for it! Trust me on this one! Great for all ages! Rvs are accepted and small tent groups and large tent groups! Massive lake with rentals, so many hikes available. Events available near by if not in.

Quaint creekside campground

If you're looking for a nice place to disconnect from everyday, you found your spot. The Muddy Creek borders the campground on one side, which is a really nice backdrop.  Sites are generally open and not very private, but the general vibe of the campground is slow pace and relaxing so you don't really mind the lack of privacy. We stayed during October and they had a scavenger hunt and hayrides for the kids in the evenings. Kids loved it. My daughter came up big with her first trout out of the Muddy Creek. Bathhouses aren't the best, but get the job done. Overall a great place to unwind and have some lifelong memories with the kiddos.

Four star campground at best

Stayed at this location over the weekend. First time staying at this location. At first glance we were worried about what we booked into. We soon found that the staff was very friendly and helpful in making sure we had a correct location for the type of RV that we had. Campground is very peaceful and clean. Restrooms are a 5 star ⭐️ plus. Pool was closed due to the time of year but looks like it would be a lot of fun. Good location to all the Amish shops and restaurants. Some of the spots are small so be sure to ask about the size of the spot you are booking. Park is about 51% seasonal. Once more campgrounds need to make it mandatory that if you are seasonal you must wash your RV once a month. Dirty and stained RV’s make a park look run down.

Terrible

The most crowded uncomfortable campsites I have ever seen.

Great, clean family run resort

This is a great family run campground. The store is nice, bathhouses are clean and private. Owners are super nice. There is also a great view of the surrounding countryside because it’s up on a big hill. If you’re hauling a big camper you’ll need power for the hills.

Beautiful Camping Location

This campground is very family friendly. We saw so many children running around having a great time! They have fairly many camp sites with an amazing view. Unfortunately we did not reserve our site in time to get one of the better ones. We still could see the water but not right water front. We enjoyed hiking the Beaver Marsh Trail. From our campsite we had to drive to a trail head but there were a few sights that had direct access. Also the lighthouse trail is a must. It is about a five minute drive to get to the trail though, but is worth it! The camp host were very friendly and were actually in charge of keeping the bathrooms clean (which they did excellent at)! The bathrooms were nothing fancy but I was impressed with the cleanness. I would definitely recommend giving this campground a try!

Great little spot

Great smaller campground. Staff was friendly, general vibe was low key. A lot of year round sites. Only complaint being not a lot for the kids to do aside from ride bike. We did notice they have really nice tent sites that are all to themselves. Might be back to give those a try at some point

3+ car camping

Car tent camping. Big campground. Crowded even in late September. Sites are a decent size, but you’re really on top of one another here. We were lucky to find a spot that had empty sites on both sides (but people just on top of our site). Beautiful tall trees and shaded. Check in is sort of crazy. You have to drive a couple miles from the campground to the camp office to pick a site— which is difficult if you haven’t seen them. We picked one at the campground and I drove back to the office to claim it— hoping it wasn’t taken. It wasn’t. Also, sites are pretty expensive for camping— $38! Beautiful area tho.

Friendly staff, great facilities, nice park!

I camped here for just 1 night during a work trip, and was pleasantly surprised with how nice it all was. I was a walk-up with no reservation and since it was a weekday the ranger gave me a great rundown of the best spots in the camp and let me drive through to check them out before going back with my decision! I chose site 26 I believe, it was very private from neighbors and the road, surrounded by beautiful mature trees, and just the right distance from the restrooms.

Restrooms were fairly clean, had flush toilets, electricity, and hot running water showers!! Since I had to look presentable for work the next day I had sent planned on doing much hiking (hot and humid June) but with the revelation of showers!!! I went for a lovely 3 mile evening hike on the trail just down the hill behind the campsite. Scared a bunch of deer (ok they scared me!!) and checked out the giant old growth trees, hiked over a bridge and stream which was full of fish I could see! Turned around after I got to the Susquehanna itself. The river was running pretty high and fast, pretty cool to see.

Overall, cool spot! Will stay again!!

Excellent Campground

We have been here tenting twice, once last year and once this summer. They have upgraded the tent sites since last year, no more primitive sites, all the tent sites are now mulch pad with water and electric. Bathrooms are very clean and modern, but a decent walk from tent sites. The facilities are all lovely, staff in the camp store are kind and helpful. The snack bar is very convenient, breakfasts on the weekends in the summer. Close to lots of great activities and there is lots to do at the campground as well. Highly recommend.

Great Campground

Great campground. Lots of sites. Friendly and accommodating staff. Great location for activities including Hershey Park, Hershey Chocolate factory, Hershey RV show.

Lake in the Woods

Very nice campground, well kept, Paved roads, plenty to do

Pleasant, woodsy Campground

We stayed two nights in site #6. The site was easy to back into, plenty long enough and relatively level. We filled our water tank on the way in and used the convenient dump station on the way out. Cell signal is spotty to non existent. There are plenty of trails in the park and two lakes to swim in. We enjoyed our stay.

Best friendlyest

The best friendly office people

Great place

We have been here a few times it is a great quite campground in the middle of Amish country and close to about everything

One of the best!

Been coming for years, clean and spacious sites. Family operated. Located between Hershey and all of the PA Dutch Lancaster County attractions.

Great for a state park

I stay here for my first camp out with my new camper. No water but the bath house was close and very clean.