The best WALK IN camping near
Lake Junaluska , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Lake Junaluska Camping Reviews
The RV park itself is awesome!

This park was awesome, beautiful views, rolling green grass, full hook up and partial hook ups for a decent fare. There is a lot to do nearby, it’s easy to get to the park and they have good cellular connection.

This park has 1 issue. Communication.

There are 3 reasons/experiences we will never return. There is a couple who camphost (fulltime RVers), and another couple who are the owners who live in a house on property. Pretty standard setup. Generally speaking- if you obtain permission for something from the camp host, you can reasonably expect that you have obtained the proper permission.

1. Arriving Early. Again- working, we called to ask permission to show up at 12:00pm instead of 2pm, communicated: if we could, we would like to not miss a full day of work moving the rig. Female who answered their only phone, said no problem, come on in, your site is open. Fantastic! We show up and the female owner of the park (we didn’t know who we talked to we just called their phone line)- was mad as hell that we were there early. We explained the screw up and apologized because it was a legitimate mistake. We thought that’s the end of it. Moving on.

2. We were there for 17 days, and needed to get a couple of boxes, one being our ballots to vote, one small package, and one medium size package. We again called the phone number, a female answered, gave us permission and told us the address. The first two arrive without issue. The third was apparently a problem with the female owner once again, even though the previous two packages- she never indicated there was a problem.

3. Booking- we originally booked 7 or so days and had to book more because of rain. We moved sites as they requested. Again - spoke to a female on the phone, no problem, y’all can stay until the 24th, this time she said “I wrote myself a note to tell the owner”. Cool, as a guest my work is done, all set. On the 23rd the female owner of the park came and beat on the door. My husband was at work. She was very angry, I was very confused. She asked when we were leaving and why we haven’t left, still confused I replied we paid until the 24th which is tomorrow and we will be leaving early in the morning. This made things epically more hostile. She said I was inconveniencing her other patrons because they expected full hook ups. I didn’t know what my husband had done or who he spoken to, all I knew was that we were leaving on the 24th. So I offered to call him and get to the bottom of it. I had him call her to simplify things. She screamed at him on the phone which goes through his hearing aids. He asked her to speak more quietly so he could understand her. Apparently she has the camp host approve things or doesn’t communicate with the camphost well. Each of these 3 things had sent her over the edge. She wouldn’t calm down so he hung up, so she called back and left a scathing voicemail about how rude he is…

We will never return, the last thing we need right now when everything is chaos for 2020- is to deal with that.

Loved staying here!

A bucket list trip to step foot on the APP and spend time wandering Hot Springs NC.

Needs some love

We stayed in site 20 and my take on this campsite is that it just needs a little love and care.  My site was next to the creek which was nice.  On one side of me was a permanent trailer of someone who lives there and on the other side, nestled into a triangle was my neighbor.  His sewage had been overflowed by the last camper and they had to get the management to help clean it up before they connected.  It's pretty clear that the sites weren't checked or tidied between campers.  There's no cell signal (T-Mobile) and even though the camp supposedly has WiFi, they've not set it up to cover the campground.  It really just covers the camp store area.

It just bothers me sometimes when I see a place like this that could be so great, if there was just a bit more love and care put into the place.

On the plus side, this was our first RV camping trip with our new (to us) 2007 Keystone Laredo 265RL.  Setup and everything went great and we just loved it.  Overall a successful trip but just a bit disappointed in the campground.

Pretty good?

Pluses: Nice, clean, updated facility with excellent amenities including heated lazy river. Good location for commercial stuff in PF, Dollywood, getting to several areas in different direction of Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

Minuses: Lots of add in costs to use some amenities like pedal carts, no balls for games. WiFi was horrible all 3 days there You are packed in with other RVs everywhere.

Just OK

Pluses: Nice river and lake Excellent WiFi Helpful staff for parking

Minuses: Bathrooms are yuck - need redone Campground is loud from frontage road and running parallel/below Highway I-40 AND train going by.

Remote campground with beautiful settings.

Awesome campground with select sites. Nice tent sites but RVs are restricted to the edge of the road. Unique area with its higher elevation. Nice people throughout many who have been coming here for many years. Clean restrooms but no showers.

Very quiet and beautiful

Quiet campsite run by NPS. Beautiful in the fall. Great fire pit and gravel elevated platform for tents and activities

Laurel group site bordering the Toe River

Tis campground is a little hard to find because it is off of the beaten path but close to the Blue Ridge Parkway. We went during the peak leaf season and of course, had to book the site super early. But we snagged the belle of the ball with the Laurel group site. The maximum number of people in the site is 50 (pre Covid) but we were a group of 3 families with 11 people and it was the perfect size for this size group. There were steps leading down to the river with a small spot for a 2 person tent. There were also a number of dispersed tent sites with room to spread out. We had our own very clean restroom that was not in the way but accessible. There are a number of trails to access from the site including Setrock Falls. Even though the campground was full, we felt completely private in our site. The Toe River is the real gift of this site. The constant sounds around you and the river loop trail allowed you to explore further. This is a perfect site for kids because it is open and the river is shallow enough. I would highly recommend this site any time of year because of the river but fall adds a special quality with the leaves all around.

Poor water pressure

Serene and Quiet Campground

To have found this place is one of the reasons I love this app so much. This campground is a GEM tucked away from the tourism hustle and bustle. Close enough to be convenient but more than half away for some peace and quiet and a beautifully dark sky full of stars.

The camp store is packed with everything you could need.

The staff is very friendly and made me feel welcome.

The creek/river that runs through is amazing with most campsites sitting along one of the two creeks.

I stayed two nights in a tent site and one night in their primitive cabin. I loved every minute of being there and would have stayed longer if it wasn’t booked up.

The one thing that was not my favorite is that a road runs through the campground so as a solo camper I prefer being a closed campground. But everyone was so nice there and after getting settled I did feel safe.

I will 100% return to this magical place that takes me back in time to how camping used to be.