the dyrt
Avalon, NEW JERSEY
Most Recent Avalon Camping Reviews
Just ok with the dog

Bathrooms were very clean. People were very nice. Camp sites are very sandy. We chose this place because they advertise dog swimming. They only have a very small area which was slightly mucky and I saw three large cotton mouth snakes hanging on the coastline. I know that it's nature and snakes will be there but we did not get in the water with our puggle. No Way!

Nice spot!

Cape henlopen is one of five or six Delaware state parks that offer RV camping. Sites vary in size so make sure you check the details before you book. Using their online campground map along with google earth will give you a pretty good idea. Water and electric hookups only. There are 3 dump stations as you exit the park which is really nice. I have never had to wait. Most sites offer good shade by the local pine trees. Nice bike trails and hiking through the dunes. They even offer free bike rentals. Clean bath houses as well. If they had Full hookups I would give 5 stars (I am spoiled I know).

Great for passing through!

Stayed here on a road trip with some friends passing through from Atlantic City. Unfortunately when we stayed we werent allowed to have a fire. But luckily, its in a great location, near Ocean City, MD and Rehoboth Beach, so there was plenty to see and do. Nice little beach too!

Old-fashioned, friendly, amenity filled campground!

We visited MANY campgrounds in Del. Pa. and N.J. looking for a place to stay seasonally. Once we went to Hospitality Creek, I knew we found our home. The people, activites, roomy sites, pools, beautiful lake for swimming and boating/fishing, snack bar with breakfast and full lunch/dinner menu made it such an easy choice. It is on the pricy side for nightly/weekly camping rates, but really worth every dollar!

Nice for a short visit

Pros: this campground was nice and clean, with decent amenities (including FREE hot showers!). I stayed there on a Saturday, and walked in without a reservation and was able to get a site. They had a few ranger-led events that night that I was able to partake in (a hay ride for a small fee, and a night hike that was free). They were both enjoyable, and everyone that worked there that I encountered was very pleasant.

Cons: the sites are pretty close together with no real trees or privacy in between, at least where I was located. So, I would stay here again for a night if I was passing through, but I wouldn't make this place a 'destination.'

Affordable near the Delaware Beaches

Deep Branch Family Campground has both open and wooded sites, all offering water and electric. In addition to a dump station, the campground has a free honeywagon available upon request. Most sites are on hard sand and fairly level. The road through the campsite is a bit tight, but we were able to navigate our 37 foot motorhome. Most of the sites are seasonal campers, and the transient sites are scattered throughout the campground. Wonderful, friendly people. Clean. It is a short drive to the beaches, but the rate is so much better than other campgrounds that it's worth it.

Great price, close to everything!

Large campground, hard to navigate at night when first pulling in. Little shade, which may be an issue in the hot summer, but after summer is awesome! Level sites, some with concrete slabs. Close to the beach, restaurants and Ocean City. Nice playground and well stocked store. The only issue was if your bathroom isn’t working, they need more bath houses. They are building one that was near our site but it wasn’t open yet.

Passing through

1 night stay while traveling up the east coast. Lots of seasonals so you kind of feel out of place. Plenty of shade but sites are right on top of each other. Nice pool. Bathhouse is large and clean.

Love this place, book two visits a year.

There are two areas of camping at the Delaware Seashore State Park. The north and south side which is divided by the Indian River Inlet. The south side has the guarded beach, concessions and a new restaurant called "The Big Chill Beach Club". The north side camping area has a marina, restaurant called "Hammerheads Dockside". The beach is unguarded and also allow your pups with you on the beach. My camping experience is from the North side only, we have never camped on the south side. The sites are level, spacious. 30 and 50 amp. Bathhouses are always clean. camp hosts and staff that we have encountered have always been profession and kind. Highly recommend however, if you plan on a "in season" visit you will need to make reservations far in advance.

Great family get away!

We stayed here the last weekend in September and it was wonderful. It's only 6 miles from the famous Wildwood boardwalk but you never have to leave the campground because they have so many planned activities. We stayed in the Ultra VIP section and had plenty of room to back in (total combined length of our truck and trailer is 52'). Nice concrete patio and all hookups worked well.

Eh

It xould use a little work nothing to bad though still had fun

I would say this is an awesome campground. The staff is great as well.

That is an all around fantastic campground . They have many activities, lake , and pool. If you have a problem, they are very accommodating for you and straighten it out .

Worth it!

After reading the reviews about the water that can accumulate in the campground I was worried. Rain was scheduled for the morning so we were prepared to shift to sleeping in the car. I am so glad we came! Yes, it rained and yes, this campground gets wet, but it did drain as the afternoon wore on. The attendant also let us move to a recently vacated site that was less wet. The space was large enough for my car, our tent, a canopy and more. It was level. The bathrooms were clean and there were good showers with great water pressure. If you stay on the south side you have great views of the inlet and the bay and are a short walk to a really nice little beach that also has a shockingly good beach bar and restaurant. We drove about 15 minutes to another part of the state park on the bay to paddleboard and our campground pass was also a state park parking permit. Night time in August was bearable due to the lovely breezes.

Beautiful Campground

We stayed in a yurt. it was a great experience that we would definitely do again. There is a small lake that was great to kayak on.

Great Find , Lots of attractions & things to do and close to the beach!

Atlantic Blueberry has a lot to offer campers from seasonal sites to large pull through sites for RV's as well as sites for tent camping. Located in Port Republic not far from Brigantine & Atlantic City. The park has a nice size pool as well as a kiddie pool. There is also a playground for the kids, camp store with some basic supplies as well as some planned activities on the weekends. We spent a month here while visiting family and while it was pretty busy on the weekends the weekdays were pretty quiet. The staff were very pleasant, accommodating and helpful. We would definitely stay here again. The only reason I gave only 4 stars is the description on there website does not make it clear what the difference is between premium & deluxe hookups. We thought we had booked a fhu site but are only able to dispose of our grey water. The black tank must be pumped out for an additional charge. Otherwise we would stay here again if we could get a site with full sewer hookup.

Hiking

I haven't camped here but we love the dog-friendly hiking trails. We have walked through the site areas and they seem to be a nice size but not offering too much privacy. We are usually there in the off season so not sure how crazy it gets in the warmer months with the lake being there.

We're already booked for next year!

First, let me start by saying this campground is not what I usually like. I like trees, mountains, shade… this is a beach, plain and simple. That being said- we absolutely loved it and are already booked for next year! It was easy to find. Sites were very well marked. Friendly staff. Beautiful views. Ocean was a short 5 minute walk from our campsite- along with a playground and delicious restaurant (that even served vegan food!)! I didn't use the bathroom/bathhouse, but my husband said they were clean, well maintained and had excellent water pressure. Sites were a bit tight; I believe online it says they're 45x30 but I find that hard to believe. Our trailer is almost 38 feet and we only had a little room left over. Sites were level and paved along with some sand and grass. Also a picnic table- no fire rings at the sites, but there were a couple campfire areas scattered around the park. We spent most of our time at the beach anyway so the small site really didn't matter much. The campground is split into two sides of the river. The larger one that we stayed at had a life guarded beach. The beach on the other side had no lifeguard, but dogs were allowed on that beach and the water seemed a bit calmer and clearer over there. We stayed for 5 nights and every night was quiet except Friday- that's when our neighbors decided to get drunk and sing karaoke until 2am. People please, if alcohol tells you that you sound like Stevie Knicks, don't believe it. You don't. And no one wants to be woken up by your screeching. We complained the next morning (and from what I understand, several other people did too) and that night they came and spoke to them about quiet hours and we had no more problems after that. It's right next to a bridge- which is beautiful at night- but we didn't hear the traffic as much as I expected. Tent sites were closer to the bridge, though, so I'm not sure how noisy they were… Overall, it was a great location (only about 15 minutes from the Rehobeth Beach boardwalk) with excellent amenities. Highly recommended!

back to nature in the pines

state forest, most camping areas worth going to are primitive with no electricity, showers or potable water. hiking into camp ranges anywhere from 3/4 of a mile to 3 Miles. it can be hot and buggy in the summer but the solitary vibe can’t be beat. prices are very reasonable being a state run forest.

I enjoyed my visit. Level site, good for tents. Close to amenities.

Fun for kids

Sites are very wooded, close to eachother. Fun for kids. The lake is huge, the pools are crowded but fun. There is a splash pad for little ones. Our 3 yr old loved it.

Loved it

Super close to ferry which Is convenient. Close to shopping and great restaurants. Park itself is very clean as well as all facilities. We stayed in november so I didn’t make it on the beach, but would definitely go back for summer!

Great for kids

Lake was fun, sites were big, playground was great! You can rent golf carats which the kids loved and we used the whole weekend since it was so cheap & campground is huge. We’ve been here twice. Once in the fall on the way to Deleware. I called and they let us stay the night even though they don’t book online during off season I took the chance and they were more than happy to let us stay the night. It’s like 10 mins from the ferry which was great for us! We stayed in summer also & they have wagon rides and lots of activities for kids. We will be back for sure!

Lower Forge backcountry campground

NOTE: There are LOADS of ticks in this area.

This campground is hike-in or boat-in only, no car access. We camped here for one night on an overnight loop in Wharton State Forest. Wild blueberries abound during summer months!

Individual sites are closely packed, which was not a problem as we were the only ones there. Any more than 2-3 groups of campers and this ground would start to feel claustrophobic. Site boundaries are pretty clearly marked, and each has a fire ring.

Batsto River provides plenty of water for filtering--don't be weirded out by the brown color caused by tannins. River access at higher-numbered sites is marshy, water flow and quantity is more substantial downstream from the lower-numbered sites.

Trash bags are provided, but no trash receptacles, so pack it out! There is a pit toilet, but did not check its status.

Del-exico

This place was incredible. Couldn't tell we were in the states at all. Looks like Mexico with all of their beach activities. Fun stuff to do everywhere and free shuttle to rehoboth. Being able to longboard and skateboard on the grounds was a rare plus too!

Groups

Beautiful park right across fron the beach. Took a group of 20 tent camping here and it went great! Have done it for multiple years now and every time it is a great experience. However, it does flood in the rain. Also this beach is not to packed and has great sunrises!

Great for families with tree covered lake access, plus playground

My wife and I chose site #10 based on its close proximity to the lake and fishing access. Even when I put my waders on, I pulled in algae almost every time. There is a ton of algae in this lake. We rented a canoe with the hopes of having more fishing success but the middle of the lake was just as bad! There was garbage in our fire pit when we arrived. Site is great for people with families as there was a playground within 50 feet so it is a bit louder and busier. We loved the free and clean showers and bathrooms but we had to drive to them from our site. We also loved that we were able to park our car basically anywhere on site so we could park close to our tent.

Beautiful and convenient kayaking location

This campground (Goshen Pond) was mostly empty while we were there in August. Our site was very quiet, but a lot of the sites are close together without any barriers, so if the campground got crowded it wouldn't be very private. It's only a one minute walk from the parking area to the site. Our site was right next to the Mullica River, and had excellent views if you walked just a couple steps from the tent. We were able to put our kayaks in right next to the site which was very convenient. It's also a 5 minute drive from Atsion lake, a great place for kayaking and swimming.

great spot for a one day trip

lake with water sports, hiking trails that are dog friendly, plenty of campsites. If you have kids staying longer for the lake would make sense. bring bug spray!!