About Pawtuckaway

Pawtuckaway State Park Campground lines the shore of beautiful Pawtuckaway Lake. The 192 sites are wooded and many provide views of the lake. Each campsite has an open fire ring, picnic table, flat areas for a tent, and a parking space. The bathhouses are equipped with running water, flush toilets, and 24 hour showers. There are no hook-ups at any of the campsites. The park also has a camp store where canoe and kayak rentals are available, as well as a public canoe and kayak launch. Five cabins are available; each sleeps six people, has electricity, and includes a fire ring and picnic table. Pets are not allowed in the campground or beach area of the park.

Reservation Info
Reservations made be made online through ReserveAmerica.
Season
Directions
7 Pawtuckaway Road, Nottingham, NH 03290
26 Reviews of Pawtuckaway
Party Place That Was Really Loud

This campground is not the same as it was like 15 yrs ago. Nice lake and plenty of space on sites. The mosquitos were extremely vast throughout the campground, like swarms of them just very prominent both day & night. Drunken fight at a campsite down the way woke us up around 2 a.m. We heard loud screaming and a woman yelling & crying “don’t, stop”. I urged my husband to please go check on the situation. As he was getting his bearings together and shoes on, we heard glass breaking, tires screaming, a loud crash and a car speeding off that you could hear racing through the grounds. We ran over to the site that had a raging fire burning and assumed that was the site. Bottle of vodka looked like it was thrown into the fire with lots of broken glass everywhere in different areas on the site. It looked as though the car they sped off in backed or ran into a tree trunk on the site. The fire was very high, close to the trees around it so we called the campground and they urged us to call the local pd, we did and the pd took the info and said they were sending out someone to look for the driver that had left just a few mins prior. The pd advised us to not put the fire out and wait for them to arrive to the campground. We waited 15 or so minutes and the fire had spread pretty far outside the ring at this point so we called back and were told they’d be there soon & they will put out the fire. My husband & I waited another 5 mins then my husband said to heck with it, put the fire out because the alcohol all around the pit and throughout the site was making it spread even more then we went back to our site. The next day, the owner offered to comp us for the wknd and furthermore offered us another wknd for free. We took it, they apologized and asked for us to give them another chance (it was my husbands first time there & like my 8th or 9th). We returned a few wks later and couldn’t sleep bc of all the very loud partying that happened both nights on multiple sites until the wee hours of both mornings. We decided we won’t be returning. Now that about 7 years have passed, we may try them again maybe to see if the guidelines are being enforced better now but are unsure & hesitant. The staff was friendly & apologetic.

Similar to Bear Brook

Some campsites are spread out and secluded. Swimming is good until later in the summer when the water gets a little high with algae.

Great spot

The spots them selves had a fire pure with grill grate and a picnic table. A parking spot and a decent amount of room to spread out. The have a hike with a fire tower at the top and you can see for miles every which way. Theres a lake and spots to swim with beach access. And they have kayak rentals. I love this place and a few friends an I go every year. Oh on a ledge at the top of the hike I also proposed to my wife. I 100%recommend this area for a fun get away

Ranger Review: Red Ledge Rebel Shell Rain Pants at Pawtuckaway State Park

*CAMPGROUND REVIEW*

This campground is definitely a dazzler and I was fortunate to visit on a quieter weekend. I was able to enjoy an especially picturesque sunset over the lake and I would definitely visit this spot again, especially with how accessible the campground is. There is a nice stretch of sandy beach at the campground as well as canoes and kayaks for rent. The convenience store at the campground had essentially everything you would need for a good camping trip. Definitely do your research on the different site numbers because some sites are much more private and scenic than others. Each site is equipped with a picnic table and fire pit as an added bonus.

Pros:

-Within a short driving distance from the Boston area

-Lakefront sites available

-Canoe and kayak rentals available

-Well stocked convenience store

-Reasonable cell reception

Cons:

-Can get busy during peak camping times

-Some sites have a lack of privacy

*PRODUCT REVIEW*

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. During this trip, I took out a pair of Red Ledge Rain Pants. While it didn’t rain during my camping stay (great from a camper perspective, not so great from a reviewer perspective), I was able to try out the general fit of the pants. They have a nice stretch fit to them and a certainly one of the more stylish options as far as rain pants go. As is true for most waterproof gear, they run on the warmer side and don’t have a ton of ventilation so they may not be the best choice for hotter weather. Although I didn’t get to test out the pants in a camping setting, I did wear them a few days ago while making the 1.5 km evacuation route trek from my apartment to the flood shelter during one of the biggest typhoons to make landfall in Japan. After about 25-30 mins of walking in record breaking-ly heavy rain, the pants started to saturate around the knees and the upper thigh area started to get a bit soggy. That being said, this is probably the most extreme possible test setting and they did hold up reasonably well. Due to the aforementioned, I would recommend using these pants as a waterproof option when skiing/snowboarding in warmer weather where you still want a snow barrier but may not necessarily need the insulative warmth offered by actual snow pants.

Pros:

-Stylish look

-Stretch fit

-Waterproof

Cons:

-Trap heat

-Not typhoon proof

Some sites are awesome and somewhat private others are on top of each other

Some sites are awesome and somewhat private others are on top of each other. We hammock camp so we took a chance and the employees were able to give us an okay site. We drove around and checked other sites out (huge campground!) and are excited to go back

Great campround for water activities

This a a fantastic little camp for if you want to go canoeing or kayaking or boating of any kind! It's set up of three islands and a large majority of the campsites are right on the water

Tucked-Away

We camped for a weekend here in a group of 6 people on Horse Island spread out over 2 sites. Checking in at the park office was easy and we received our parking pass. Each campsite can hold two vehicles.

There are several bathrooms placed all over the campground with toilets, sinks, and showers (no quarters needed). There are also water spigots placed around which is nice to refill containers.

I only give 4 stars due to two issues: One of the showers was unusable as it was FILLED with insects. After scoping out a few other bathrooms the problem seemed to be isolated to just that one.

Secondly, the park office seemed to be out of firewood the whole weekend. We were able to find some at the grocery store ($18 for 3 small bundles), and a random house selling some ($10 for the equivalent of 4 small bundles).

Nonetheless, we had a great time, undisturbed by all around us, and we did a 5 mile round trip hike to the the Pawtuckaway Fire Tower (view from the top attached).

Thank You!

Great campground to boat on

Went there this past weekend. Brought our kayaks. I reserved a water front site for that reason. Well worth it. Amazing lake for kayaking, swimming, fishing and exploring. So many little islands and shallow spots to swim around or jump off rocks.

The public beach area is a nightmare, super busy. And we found that there were a few people who didnt respect the quiet hours.  Plus people would drive their cars to the bathrooms at night, in my opinion if you cant walk there, dont go camping. That was a nuisance. A big reason for me only giving 3 stars. Otherwise it's easily a 4 or 5 star.

State park

Great state park campground! Some of the sites are close together but there are lakes to swim and places to rent kayaks/canoes/etc. if you need it.

Beautiful Location on the Lake!

Lots to do, Kayak, Swim, Hike and more. Very friendly staff, very scenic location many sites are on the water. Only drawback is you can’t bring your dog 😪.